Motel 6 San Antonio Downtown - Market Square
Ranked #274 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Gig Harbor, Washington
“Avoid”
Reviewed 9 April 2013 via mobile

Although this hotel was quiet at night---- that would be about the only thing positive I would have to say about it. The surrounding area was dirty and the hotel was not much better. We are not Motel6 customers but were traveling with friends and pets this trip and decided to stay here because of the proximity to the River Walk (a somewhat short walk away)

Checkin went fairly smoothly although the girl at the front desk checked us in under the wrong name, which she corrected. Asked for a quiet room close to our friends which we received but upon entering the room it smelled of urine so badly it was making me ill. The others in our party were not able to smell it, so I figured for one night I would buck up as we were close to our friends. The room itself was in disrepair nothing like the online pictures. Cigarette burns on the counters and tables in our non smoking room and the bed was questionable to say the least. In the morning when I went to take our dog out, someone had dumped their garbage all over the stairs, this is not the nicest area in San Antonio so don't expect much.

One note our fiends room was fine it actually looked nice and smelled clean. Must have been just the king room I asked for which most Motel6 don't have.

A note: The River Walk was very disappointing and I will definitely bypass San Antonio next time on the way to South Padre Island

Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Motel6, Public Relations Manager at Motel 6 San Antonio Downtown - Market Square, responded to this review, 14 April 2013
Dear Guest,

The room condition and odor issues you described are not consistent with our standards for quality at Motel 6. We apologize for your negative experience and appreciate your bringing these issues to our attention. Please contact our guest relations department so we will have a record of your experience to help us better address these issues: 1-800-557-3435.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We enjoyed our stay here at Motel 6. The rooms were recently updated and are very modern and clean. The service was wonderful, great group of employees that were always friendly and happy to help us. We were surprised at how spacious the rooms were. The hotel is located near downtown San Antonio, not too far from the Market Square and the Riverwalk. The area around the hotel is a little rough, lots of people walking around looking for work I'm assuming, but never had any problems with it they kept to themselves. Overall great hotel for the price and great service!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is the first Motel 6 I've stayed at that's the "new" version. I had my cat with me and he was sick of traveling across the country, so I was glad that the room was pretty big for a Motel 6 and he had room to run around.

The room was interesting. It was sort of a weird modern theme with fake bamboo linoleum. It had a giant bed with lots of pillows and it was quite comfy. Especially compared with other Motel 6 beds. I specifically chose this motel because I wanted to go check out the River Walk and Alamo while I was there, but didn't want to stay in a fancier hotel since I was just passing through. It was a short walk to the downtown area, but walking back alone at night was a little sketchy. The parking lot is shared with a McDonald's and it practically under a freeway. Lots of interested characters hanging around. At one point after I'd gone to bed I heard someone yelling outside. I went to check and it was a guy outside McDonald's yelling at his shopping cart. I was a bit worried about having my new car with all my belongings parked there, but it was well lit and I think they had a security guard.

So, overall this place is fine for a one night stopover, but based on the location I don't think I'd leave my car there for longer than that. It got 4 stars based on other Motel 6's, not on other hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Somewhere south of the middle
Reviewed 7 January 2013

We were in San Antonio for the Rock-n-Roll Marathon in November and found this Motel 6 pretty convenient to get to the downtown area fairly quickly. Unlike other reviewers, we didn't walk to and from downtown, just drove. The McDonald's is literally next door and that was nice. I didn't care for the room decor as it's too austere for my tastes, but it was clean. The light in the bathroom didn't work and the front desk offered to change the bulb out but we could still see from the vanity area lights, so I declined. I thought it was nice that the front desk called us a few minutes after we got in the room to see if everything was alright.

The only "scary" thing was there was a knock on the door in the middle of the night and I woke up thinking it was my friend (staying in another room at the same motel) letting us know it was time to get up and get ready for the marathon. When I looked at the clock and saw it was the middle of the night, I refused to go to the door and they never knocked again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I paid $50 for the room, but I was very, very happy to be in a room that was centrally located downtown and in a CLEAN room! The new decor has easy to clean laminate, faux hardwood, flooring as opposed to gritty carpets with stains. Everything was inches above the floor so I could easily verify there were no roaches, insects, etc. After staying in San Marcos the day before in an Executive Inn with cockroaches and hair in the tub, I reveled in the cleanliness of the room. It was quiet as well so I didn't have any noisy neighbors disturbing my sleep. The staff was GREAT!!! The young man and middle-aged woman behind the desk gave me helpful tips and recommendations about the downtown area as well as money saving coupons. I live in Irving (Las Colinas) and will be job hunting in the area and I will be staying here again on my next trip!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Haaa. When I got to this motel, they found my reservation but did not have any room available. They told me they could not honor the reservation and I was on my own. They gave me the phone number of another Motel 6 ten miles away.

After calling the central reservation phone number, they finally found a room. The room was moldy ans stinky. I hate the colors and plastic flooring they now put in the "refurbished" rooms of this motel chain.

The hotel is not too far from the Riverwalk. You can walk there but this hotel is in a sketchy area of the city.

I would personally avoid at all costs.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank crew347

Travellers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Calgary
Reviewed 6 November 2011

It was a last minute decision to stay in San Antonio and the Motel 6 Market Sqaure was the right place.

The room was modest with the "new" Motel 6 decor but it was very relaxing and refreshing after shopping in San Marcos and a long days drive. You park just outside your room. The area is not a tourist area like the Riverwalk but not too bad. Market Square with Mi Tierra is a short walk away. A good convenience store is a block the other way.

And at $42, it hit the spot for quick stop!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family