“Great for the Price!”

Motel 6 San Antonio Downtown - Market Square
Ranked #276 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The people walking around the neighborhood are sketchy but this bargain hotel is clean and within walking distance to Market Square and the trolleys that take you to the sites in San Antonio. The rooms are modern and clean. All the upgrades make for spacious rooms with no wasted space. This particular location was even willing to go the extra mile for our family that was getting into town at about 4 in the morning! They were friendly and courteous. The cleaning staff was also friendly and courteous. I wouldn't worry too much about the homeless people in the area, if you don't want to see that then stay somewhere else. It's a downtown location and any downtown area in any city is filled with homeless people. There is a nearby college and you see students walking around, clearly, it's not dangerous. As we pulled up there were police arresting someone, I gathered that they respond quickly so there was no need to fear. We were not bothered by a single, sketchy looking person. Don't judge a book by it's cover!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank TexasGal806

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

Since there is a McDonalds next to the hotel, I figured, It could be all right. I was wrong. I only reserved this because of price and Market Square location so how I was paying two rooms on short notice. There were a LOT of homeless people walking the parking lot. They kept to themselves but you just don't know what people are capable of doing. The staff was great, and the rooms were nice. Our doors were not that great. I've traveled a bit and one thing I've never seen before is a homeless person run in an open hotel room right next to us upon check out packing things in my car. Nobody was in that room, they left a few minutes earlier. Of course I did notify the office and they took care of it. Be careful and close your doors! Check your surroundings. I really think he left me alone because he saw the knife I carry traveling alone or with my child, in my hand for times like those. I recommend staying near the AT&T center. It's cheap as well but much safer it seems. I'm in no way picky so if you must listen to a review, keep in mind of safety here.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 July 2014

First of all, motel is by jail and maybe homeless shelter there were men and some women hanging out around cars and corner.Its close to the Market within walking distance Our sink got clog then our tub and it drained very very slow .Didn't have enough towels and when housekeeping made the beds it looked like they did not change the sheets we rated the pool about a 5. We will never stay there again and do not recommend it.The room also had a weird smell.

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank jim20202014
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Upon walking into the room you are hit with a musty stale cigarette smell. There was several cigarette burns on the bed. Room was not very clean. The girl at the desk didnt know how long we were staying which luckily was only one night!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Bethanyspraggins
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

This place has changed quite a bit! The last time we were here several years ago it was a lot better. The rooms didn't look like they had been cleaned well. They're are all sorts of sketchy people hanging around asking for money. I won't be staying here again even though the location is great, within walking distance to the market. Glad we only had to stay one night. Definitely not worth the price!

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank katlexpen
Reviewed 4 July 2014

This Motel 6 is in the worst ever area of San Antonio.There is nothing there but drug dealers,homelessand no telling what else.How do I know this?My wife came out of the bathroom at 1AM to find 2 men smoking crack inside our room.Knocks on the door from homeless people looking for their friends.Homeless people walking and checking every door to see if any were open.Homeless sleeping on the walkway next to our room.This I saw with my own eyes.This motel is NOT family friendly.The swimming pool was filthy.The whole place should be condemned.Iwould only recommend that no decent person go to this motel.

Room Tip: Go to another motel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry W
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My girlfriend and i stayed here for one night, it was supposed to be two. If we could have gotten out of the one we would have, however, because we went in the room for more than ten minutes, we could not get a refund. Horrible doesn't begin to describe it. The room they gave us initially was on the back side of the motel- scary. We discovered it is a block away from a large homeless shelter and the jail. Lots of scary people walking around. Desk clerk said it wasn't safe to walk around in the evening. Room was sterile and questionable on cleanliness. Worst, most depressing stay i have ever had in a motel. Never again!

• Stayed: March 2014