“A fabulous place to stay”

Wyndham Riverside Suites
Ranked #182 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas
“A fabulous place to stay”
Reviewed 29 May 2007

I stayed at the Riverside Suites for two nights mid-week, and had a wonderful time. I was a little worried when I pulled up in front of the hotel as the entrance is very non-descript. The room turned out to be gorgeous though. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment that overlooked the riverwalk. The room had everything I could possibly want - kitchen, washer, even a little bag with a razor, hairbands, and aftershave! The staff were all friendly and the location is fabulous.

My only complaints are I could hear everything that went on in the apartment next door, and my key seemed a little temeramental when trying to unlock my door. Then on the last day came the ruse of being asked to complete a 30 min survey for a $50 gift card, which actually turned out to be a 1.5 hour timeshare presentation. I didn't like being tricked.

I would definitely stay there again, and just decline to complete the survey next time!

• Liked — the location and the decor in the room
  • Disliked — the noise from the room next door
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank Happy_Wanderer68

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 6 March 2007

I have stayed in Riverside Suites twice now, each time for one week at a time, both times around Thanksgiving Day. Overall my experience was excellent. I found the staff to be helpful and accomodating. The suite had everything I needed. The beds were comfortable, the showers hot, and the location beautiful: right on the San Antonio Riverwalk.

Both times I stayed in a two bedroom suite on the second floor that overlooks the Riverwalk. From my bedroom I could see the boats and the tourists going up and down, yet the room was very quiet. I also had a decent view of some of the pretty downtown buildings.

My second story room was right above Landry's Seafood restaurant, though, again, it wasn't noisy in the room. I could walk out my door, walk down the hall, down the elevator, out the lobby, turn right, and be at Landry's or on the Riverwalk in less than 100 steps. This last Thanksgiving I got to be down on the Riverwalk when they turned on the Christmas lights and see the river parade of floats.

My room had a refrigerator, stove top, microwave, pots and pans, and everything you needed to cook and eat with. The dining table seated six.

There was a nice hide-a-bed sofa in the living room, in addition to the queen beds in the two bedrooms. Both bedrooms and the living room had televisions. One of the bathrooms had a jacuzzi tub, the other was handicap accessible. There were also two separate heating/cooling systems so that each bedroom guest could adjust the temperature to his/her liking.

In the suite I stayed in, there was a washer & dryer, plenty of closet and dresser space, ironing board w/iron, extra pillows, plenty of seating, and a telephone through which I could get dial-up internet.

In the hotel lobby (on the second floor), they have a computer with high-speed internet and printer exclusively for guest use, free cookies of various kinds, free coffee, brochures for local attractions, and a friendly staff.

I saw that one reviewer noted that the entrance to Riverside Suites was small and that they missed it. This is true. You need to have very exact directions before you try to find it. The entrance is located on a minor downtown street with less than ideal lighting. There is curbside parking for loading and unloading, if someone stays with the car; but you must pay a nominal fee ($40 I think) for one week's parking privileges in the parking garage 1/2 block away.

Riverside Suites is a very nice place to stay, but not if you need the kind of service that comes with a five-star hotel. For example, there are no bell-hops to carry up your luggage, no valet to park your car, no in-hotel restaurants, no room service.

Nevertheless, you are within walking distance of the Alamo, many fine restaurants, museums, the Riverwalk, professional sporting events, movie theatres, the Tower of America, River Center Mall, and many historic sites.

I would stay there again and again.

• Liked — comfortable, spacious
  • Disliked — few in-hotel services
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8 Thank RossXtn
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 27 March 2006

I was very impressed with the facility until I received my credit card bill. I was charged $30.00 for 2 king size pillows that were never there to begin with from the mastersuite. I had made a comment to my daughter that it was odd that the only pillows on the bed was two with pillow shams and no regular pillows. I work in a Judges office and have high morals and would never steal. So my advise to you is to have them give you a check list so you can check everything off so you are not accused. This is an error by maid service when they did not put pillows in there to begin with. I am a member of Blue Green and they will be advised not to stay here.

• Stayed March 2006
9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

Long Island, New York
Reviewed 26 February 2006

We just returned from our vacation at the Fairfield San Antonio at Riverside Suites, and in a nutshell San Antonio (along the River Walk) is a beautiful place, but a week is too long. Best to go after February, as weather can be spotty, and (especially important if you have kids) Six Flags, and Seaworld are closed -- they open in early March).

Compared to other Fairfield Properties, the Riverside Suites, San Antonio -- NOT one of their best. Mid-range.

All comments from the previous review are spot on, and the only thing that I would add is that while there are great resturants along a very romantic river walk, there is NOTHING much for the kids. The Alamo and missions were interesting, but kids will get restless.

If youhave no kids, then this is for you, with kids, wait until Seaworld and Siax Flgs open.

• Stayed February 2006
13 Thank MikeAG59
Myrtle Point, Oregon
Reviewed 15 February 2006

We asked Interval International for a timeshare week exchange in San Antonio. We were given Riverside Suites. Situated next to the Polly Ester nightclub, the entrance is so small, we actually missed it. There also is no parking on the street so you are forced to pay $40 for the week. There were no bell boys so we needed to get our own luggage trolley on the first floor while my husband parked on the sidewalk to avoid obstructing traffic! We checked in at the front desk which is on the 2nd floor. The corridors were so cramped. Our luggage trolley barely made its way down to our room. We were given their smallest room--an efficiency. My mistake was to agree to a smaller unit with Interval international when our usual exchange is a 2 bedroom unit. But this room was totally unacceptable! The main reason is that there were no closets (except a broom closet!!)for our week's worth of clothes and no dresser for our other stuff. So all our things were sprawled on the floor. We used their pitiful dining table (only fits 2 chairs) as the dresser. Their "living area" consisted of a recliner and one chair. There was no patio or view from our windows. We could do better in a motel and pay half as much. We checked out the next day and thankfully got our week back from interval.
My advice is to never accept a smaller unit. The other reviewer was happy with his 2 bedroom unit. We felt so cramped in this efficiency that we only came to our room at night to sleep. Honeymooners might call the place "cozy" if it were not for the noise on the streets. Believe me, we've been to several exchanges and this is by far the worst we've ever stayed in. You'd probably be ok if you stayed only for a couple of days and travelled light.

• Stayed February 2006