“Nice hotel, friendly staff”

Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center
Ranked #238 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Pelham, New York
“Nice hotel, friendly staff”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Everything was fine at this Candlewood. The staff was helpful and friendly, they gave us a map and tips for sightseeing. Our room was clean, but only had one chair which was a bit strange since it usually has two chairs in the kitchen/office area as well as a lounge chair. We were able to borrow a chair from the laundry/coffee area. It is nice that they have free laundry facilities. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 20 February 2014
Thank you for the nice review! Guest satisfaction is our top priority and I am glad to see that we were able to meet your expectations. We hope to see you again, soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 January 2014

First, I want to be clear that the staff here are all OUTSTANDING! They could not have been more helpful and accommodating. I also want to acknowledge that they have little to no control over the building being in dire need of a renovation, nor can they do much about the crime in the area.
That said, had I read other reviews I would not have stayed here. Upon arrival, which in itself can be a task - the building is not easy to find at night - I was shocked at the condition of the property. It's not what I have come to expect from a Candlewood Suites. There is a sign at the front desk posted by the SAPD warning not to leave anything of value in your vehicle due to the high crime rate in the area. Again, not something the staff there can control, but they were very kind to remind me to remove all valuables just in case. There is broken glass in the parking lot that appears to be the remains of car windows. This does not give a guest a very good feeling about staying there. I did see the evening/night manager out walking the parking lot checking on things. Kuddos to him for doing what he could to try to ensure the safety of the guests. I don't understand why IHG does not hire full time security for this location.
The floors in the hallways creek and are dirty, the door to my room was difficult to close, and the entire building is in need of a badly needed renovation. My room was clean, but the carpet was old and stained as was the bedspread. It seems they are doing all they can with what they have to work with. The room was clean and everything in it worked as it should. It was also very quiet. But knowing what I do now, I would not stay at this location again - not unless I knew it had been updated and had full time security.
I would love to see someone from corporate stay there for a few days and park their personal vehicle in the parking lot. Then maybe they would be willing to invest in some updates and security. I felt bad for the staff as I am sure they must get lots of complaints. Even so, they were all very nice and helpful.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere for a safer location.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank KipF
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 27 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I am very happy that you were pleased with the customer service you recieved during your stay. Although, I am also very sorry that our hotel did not meet your standards, due to it's older condition. Our guest are very important to us and we appreciate your feedback.
Glen Allen, Virginia
Reviewed 23 December 2013

My family and I stayed here on our road trip to Florida and were surprised when we pulled up and found a cop car in the parking lot. I asked the cop in the hotel lobby if crime was a problem in the area and he said cars are broken into all of the time in the area. He advised me to empty out everything from our car, which was a pain because we were on a three day road trip. The hotel does have a sign in the lobby warning about the auto burglary problem, but it appears they are not taking steps (e.g., hiring parking lot security, walking the parking lot, providing adequate lighting) to help prevent auto burglary like other Candlewoods we have stayed at that do not even have crime problems. This may be the reason why one guest told us while we were in the hallway that those who have been staying at this hotel for a month or so say that cars are broken into several times a week at this hotel. The experience did not get any better in the room. Everything was extremely dated, especially the recliner chair that had material peeling away from the big chair or already gone. We also noticed a hole in the floor (we were on the second floor) underneath the carpet. The only positive is the lady at the front desk was nice and upgraded us for free (if you call it an upgrade) when a room was not available on the first floor. This is overall the worst experience I have had with the Candlewood brand (I have stayed at locations in several different states) and does not do this usually great brand justice. I highly advise to stay at the Candlewood near SeaWorld (this is where we stayed at on our trip back from Florida). It represents the Candlewood brand well.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank kandkwed
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 26 December 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We always try our best to ensure we meet our guests needs & expectations and on this occasion we apologize for your disappointment with the condition of our facilities. Rest assured that we take all comments and suggestions to heart so that we can improve and provide the exceptional service that our guests expect and deserve. Once again many thanks for your feedback and we would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My husband and I stayed here because it was close to the medical center. In the 15 days we were here for my recuperation, I heard not one unpleasant noise. We were treated with respect and caring. You can't hear the interstate traffic noise even though its right on the frontage road. The bed was immensely comfortable and roomy. Plenty of space in the suite to move around and nice comfortable chairs to sit in. It's convenient to I10, so it's easy to get to major attractions and downtown and the airport. The bathrooms are super big and roomy with lots of storage, and no lack of hot water at any time. The kitchen was sufficient but has no oven. A microwave, and stovetop were good for us, since we researched beforehand and knew not to bring anything that needed to be baked. If you want a quiet, clean, comfortable, spacious room for your travels, I recommend this Candlewood Suites property.

Room Tip: The fourth floor allows smoking, I'd stay on the third if you don't smoke.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
We thank you so much for your kind words about our property. We strive to provide great service and comfort for our guest and appreciate when our guest are completely happy with their stays. Thank you again for you input.
TX
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Candlewood Suites and this hotel are great. I've stayed twice and if I have the chance, I'd stay here again.I like having a fully stocked in suite kitchen so I don't have to eat out for every meal. The free washers & dryers are great so you don't have to lug all that dirty laundry home if you don't want.

The room was large & the bed comfortable. There was a conviently large desk/table & a very comfortable recliner bedside. Yes, the Suites only has weekly housekeeping visits so hang up your towels like you do @ home.

The Suites also allow pets--check their requirements. There is also a small Candlewood "Cupboard" where you can purchase a variety of items.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Angie A, General Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Our sincere gratitude to you for your comments on our hotel. We value the chance to hear from our guests and want to take the time to acknowledge your contribution. Thank you and we hope to see you again.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We were traveling with our two small children, so we prefer to stay in a "suite" type room where we have a kitchen and separate sleeping spaces. I can tell that once upon a time, the rooms were quite nice. They have many sleek and modern finishes in the kitchen and bath. Since it's an extended stay type hotel, I suspect that the inhabitants are just very hard on these spaces. The furniture in the living room is well worn...couch cushions stained and flat, recliner "leather" peeling, lamps bent, etc. That said, it worked for us. The rooms are very quiet. In 5 days, the only noise I heard from other rooms was one evening, we could here the person above us walking around with very heavy feet. It was perfect for naptimes and bedtime so that the children weren't awakened by noise in the hallways or adjacent rooms. The bedroom is tight when you have two adults and a baby in a pack & play, but it's a temporary situation, so it's manageable. the couch pulls out into a full size bed as well, so our family of four did sleep comfortably. The "cupboard" was a nice convenience, although the snacks/food are quite overpriced, but having the access to use a washer/dryer for free and having detergent available for a nominal fee (it is much more affordable than the snacks!) was a huge lifesaver. Children are notorious for spilling, so we were able to wash all our clothes before heading home and having to deal with set-in stains. Surprisingly, the washers and dryers are kept in good repair. They are clean and well maintained! The wifi was perfectly fine for us - in fact, I worked from the hotel for a full day on my computer and it was fast enough not to frustrate me. The only small complaints I would have are 1) they only have two luggage carts for the whole hotel and 2) the larger trash receptacles are kept near the pool, so while swimming, you occasionally get a whiff of the garbage. Would I prefer to stay in a newer, nicer hotel? Yes, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices for your family. My stress level was definitely lower because we stayed here. They even allowed us an extra couple of hours after check-out so the kids could get naps before our flight out.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank jenn_E_penny
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear jenn_E_penny,

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
TEXAS
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Entrance door is not ADA. No one is ever at front desk. The worst is the Horrible smell. We stayed on 3 floor. The hallway stinks the room stinks of old body order and old cooking smell. Just nasty. If they would get some good people there to work. Cleaned up the smell and get rid of the torn chairs. It would improve it a lot. Until then if u want a stinky room .bad customer service this it.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Cinnredhotz,

I would like to thank you for your review and apologize that your experience with our hotel did not meet your expectations. I would greatly appreciate further information regarding your stay in order that I can investigate further.

I have sent you a private message to obtain additional details about your experience.

Regards,