“Go somewhere else. Not family friendly or safe.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center

Candlewood Suites - San Antonio NW Medical Center
Ranked #234 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas
“Go somewhere else. Not family friendly or safe.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2009

The hotel is old and falling apart. The room features, such as refrigerator-ac-tv-floors are all in need of repair. Cars will be broken into or stolen. Bad apartments next door. Too many locals staying and preying on travelers. There is absolutely no security and it is really needed. The hotel is located in bad location. Use Google maps and look at it for yourself.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2009

First and foremost, this is NOT a 4 star hotel and probably not even a 3 star HOTEL. Not because it is rundown, dirty or filled with rude staff, simply because it is NOT a normal hotel but an extended stay facility. And as such, some of the amenities you might enjoy at a regular hotel are absent...but only some. The most important item is no one is going to come and clean your room daily. You get it once a week.

To my wife and I that was fine. Actually it was better than fine. We enjoyed being left alone. Yes, we didn't get fresh towels everyday, but we didn't want fresh towels everyday. We are not tree huggers but we do try to do our part. So we had no problem using our towels for a few days, just like if we were home. If you need clean towels you have two options...wash them with your clothes in the FREE washers and dryers, or simply exchange them at the front desk. Too easy.

That's right, free washers and dryers. Not a lot, 4 each so you might think they would always remain full, but for our stay they did not. We only washed twice in our 9 days and did not need to wait. We were on the 2nd floor (I think there are 4 floors) and the washers were on the 1st floor. Not sure of there was another laundry room on another floor.

Other conveniences that were worth noting: Free coffee, free USA Today newspaper, gas BBQ grill and pavilion for your use and a pool. You might say of course free coffee. But at some extended stays that is not true. Since no one comes through your room daily there is no way to replenish. But here they have a coffee machine in what the call the Candlewood Cupboard with complimentary coffee. There are also many items for sale, food, drinks, toiletries. Overpriced but available.

The BBQ area was neat although we didn't use it.

There was a large grocery store (HEB) 3 minutes drive and plenty of eating places nearby as well. With a small stove and microwave we were able to eat well and on the cheap. The cookware and utensils were of good quality/condition.

To sum up this was a clean, comfortable, and quiet extended stay hotel that for us was well priced. We had no complaints and would have no problem staying again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nyrkik
louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2009

At first I was kinda scared of going to stay at this hotel because of all the negative reviews I read, but hey like the saying goes "Dont believe everything you hear." First I must compliment the staffing they were very friendly and helpful to me, and oh my god Ms Angela was like a walking map to us, not only was she there to give us good advice on some of the attractions, but she also helped us out by printing us maps and whatever else we needed we bothered her the most but I must say what really pleased me about her she was quick. courteous, and she always had a smile. HATS OFF TO YOU!!!!!!!!! I didnt have a problem with anything throughout my whole stay everything was AWESOME. I also liked the hotel because it was very close to all king of resturants and stores (walking distance). If ever I do go back to san antonio this hotel is the first one on my list, not only because of the clean rooms, and the good environment. I will go back because the whole seven days I recieved service with a smile...That made my trip fun.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
phoenix
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2009

I recently stay at this hotel a couple of weeks ago. And all the other hotels i could of choosed in san antonio; I had to pick this crapy hotel. First, the staff at the front desk was rude when it came to my reservation; they had poor customer service skills. Then the manager or operations manager was very rude too. If she's keeps having an attitude like that she will be unemployed real soon like the rest of the country. Then second the beds were very unconfortable, I slept in better beds at Motel 6! Finally my Air Conditioning unit was not working good, I tried to ask the Front Desk staff if they could have mantenance to come up to my room to fix it, but they acted like they were dumbfounded like they didn't know what was going on. "So I wouldn't recommend this hotel to my worst emeny!" there are better hotels in san antonio besides this one, when you see it along the 10 fwy, just pass it by; I rather stay at Motel 6 than that piece of crap hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2009

I will start with the complaints. It was hard to find. but that makes it nice because it isn't right on the interstate and that makes it pretty quiet but a bigger sign would have been nice. the sign was hidden behind a big tree. The staff and guests did smoke right outside the main entrance. I would suggest a smoking area away from any entrances. The room was really clean but it took a lot to get an extra blanket. That said, the kitchen had everything you needed to cook or to just warm something up. It had restaurants near by. It had easy access to the interstate which made getting around San Antonio nice. the grounds were nice. The Candlewood pantry is really nice when you forget something like snacks/drinks or just don't want to leave.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisa396ss
Austin, TX
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2008

Pros:
-The room was clean and smelled good.
-The ac was cold.
-They have a video library where you can check out movies for free.
-The rooms have DVD/VCR players, stove, dishwasher, microwave, toaster, fridge, plates, and silverware.
-The hotel is really close to all sorts of food- from McDonalds to Pappasitos, but if you want a snack they have the Candlewood Cupboard with snacks, frozen meals and sodas.
-The staff was pleasant.
-The guests weren't scary.
-The bed was comfy.
-They allow you to do your laundry for FREE.
-They give you a certificate for a free soda, and the microwave had popcorn.
Cons:
-The soaps in the bathroom were cheap-o as was the interior of the room, with the exception of the bed and bedding.
-I think if you stay for an extended time they don't clean your room everyday. To me that wouldn't be a big deal. I don't change my sheets and towels everyday when I'm at home.
-The hallway had some stains on the carpet. I am a clean-freak so I noticed.

All in all, was a great value and would definitely recommend.

• Liked — Location/Having a full-size fridge in my room
  • Disliked — The soap in the bathroom
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
      Check-in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Aimster77
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2007

Just got back, and we stayed for 3 Nights, We did not get clean towels or maid service the whole stay, Front desk were no where to be found to ask....We washed the towels so that we would have clean ones.If you want a Hotel where you are pretty much on your own this is the one for you!

Stayed October 2007