“Nice stay in San Antonio at the Hyatt Place”

Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk
Ranked #35 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Sugar Land, Texas
“Nice stay in San Antonio at the Hyatt Place”
Reviewed 16 November 2013

We had a room on the 5th floor and asked for an outside room that is not close to the bar area. I had read a review that said an inside room that is close to the bar downstairs could be noisy. We did not have a river view, I thought I asked for one, but my husband didn't care so I did not bring it up. My only negative would be that there was a musty smell when you first walked in the room, but that went away quickly & you didn't notice it after a minute. I really like the way the rooms are configured. They are large with a separate area for a desk, sink, mini-fridge, & couch. There is a short wall in between that & the bed/bathroom area. It's almost like a tiny apartment. I had already read several reviews that the bathroom is small & the door barely clears the commode, so I was prepared to not be annoyed bythat. Some mentioned that the vanity counter space is very small, but that did not bother me because there is a counter right next to it that is about 3 ft. long. The bed was comfortable & the TV was large. The TV swiveled so you could watch it from the couch or bed. Our room was very quiet, we never heard anyone, but we purposely went during the week when kids are in school. Breakfast is included & it was pretty good. They always have toast, bagels, cereal, breakfast sandwiches, fruit, coffee, juice, etc. The only thing that changes is French toast, pancakes, or waffles. Didn't like the French toast too much but the pancakes & waffles were pretty good. Each time we went down, all the chairs & couches were taken but we found seats at the bar. Again, we were there during the week, not the weekend. The girls/women at the front desk were all pleasant & helpful. Laurie on the afternoon shift was outstanding .. she has the most outgoing & bubbly personality. Veronica & Cynthia on the morning shift were also friendly & helpful. The hotel is right on the river, it's right out the back door, but it is quite a walk to the river walk restaurants. If you are fit it won't be a problem at all. Maybe not great for an elderly person. We lucked out and got to see Harry Connick, Jr. in concert - the Majestic Theater is awesome! Never seen anything quite like it. We did the SA Western Shooting one day and really enjoyed that. We walked down to Rosario's one night & enjoyed the food there. We also went to Biga on the Banks, which is EXPENSIVE, but the food was excellent. All in all we had a really nice trip to San Antonio.

Room Tip: Since we traveled during the week, I can't speak to how weekends are. We were in room 504 and n...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Judy R
Suzie P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave us your valuable feedback. We sincerely appreciate this as feedbacks are being used to constantly monitor our services and facilities.

We are thrilled that you had a great time and do look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Thank you again for being our guests!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (179)
Reviewed 8 November 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a convention in San Antonio. I was very happy with the stay, the room was very clean and well appointed, the staff was fabulous. We encountered front desk, night auditor and housekeepers and all were very friendly and helpful.
The walk to the convention center each day was easy and enjoyable. The area was beautiful and the quiet area of the Riverwalk was directly behind the hotel. It was so nice to sit outside and enjoy the view. I would recommend this hotel for everyone. I will certainly stay here again when I am in the area.

Room Tip: You can ask for a room that has windows to the Riverwalk, its a great view. The hotel as a whole was...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Suzie P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk, responded to this review, 11 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy schedule to leave us this feedback. We continuously monitor our feedback as it helps us tremendously in training our staff and upgrading our facilities. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to having you again soon as our guest.
Chelsea, Michigan
Reviewed 4 November 2013

On my recent work visit to San Antonio, I had the good fortune of staying here. Most importantly, the staff there was amazing. Ronnie and Laurie were good folks and made sure that we had everything that we needed for our trip. Hyatt Place always has a good bar downstairs, and Laurie makes a mean Bloody Mary.

The rooms were typical Hyatt Place. Large, clean, and comfortable. I'm really liking this concept.

The hotel is a quick walk from RiverWalk, where we went for dinner and drinks.

If I make it back to San Antonio, this will be where I call home.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Suzie P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit to our hotel. We sincerely appreciate you taking time out of your busy schedule to do this. We value these feedbacks greatly as this is one of the forum that we use to constantly upgrade our service and facilities.

We are indeed happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and cannot wait to see you again soon!

Thank you again!
SuzieP
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 29 October 2013

After three days staying in this hotel I got dissapointed, the room was not clean at all, the internet was slow, there was no room service if you want to order food you have to go downstairs and pick up your food, the housekeeper never refill soap and shampoo. Last da before leaving they stole my Blackberry Tablet, They call some maintenance person to see if someone get into the room during the time we were outside but, they never said nothing about the housekeeper and they never check with her, the housekeeper always clean the rooms with the door open so meanwhile she is cleaning the room someone can get inside and took your stuff. I made a report with the manager he told me he will report thisto the insurance company but they said since the door was not open during the time we were outside they will not cover for my lost. Terrible Hotel, I will never comeback to this hotel and if you book in this hotel, be carefull with your stuff, specially the laptops and tablets and also they never check who is getting in and out of the hotel so be carefull, the front desk people are very nice this is the only good thing.

I hope you never book in this Hotel.

Horrible experience, i desire never back to san antonio becuase of this people.

Room Tip: do not choose the top floors
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Suzie P, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Antonio/Riverwalk, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest

First off we must apologise for not meeting your expectations on your visit. We have always tried to provide the best ever customer service experience for all our guests and for the most part we have achieved this based on other guests feedback. We are indeed truly sorry that we fell short.

We did take your complaint seriously of the missing tablet and you can be assured that we make the required investigations. There are protocols that must be followed as dictated by the hotel industry and we have done all that is required.

We sincerely hope that you will allow us to serve you again in the future so that we can make up our shortfall.

Thank you so much.
Suzie Persaud
Director of Sales
vienna
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I can only agree with most of the reviews, location is fine, easy walking distance to the main riverwalk, lots of free parking, good breakfast, good staff.
We had a problem with our room but this was sorted to our satisfaction by the manager George Haas.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tedreg
florida
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We reserved our room 2 months ago, paid a bit more than I cared to but it's a Hyatt...right??

Walked into the hotel and were hit with a strong cover up scent....not sure what covering up but the air freshener about gagged you.

First night the toilet would not stop running, called and stated such, they never fixed it...we were gone from 6am-9pm, plenty of time! Called again, they finally fixed it on the next day, still strong cover up smell in the room and surrounding areas, garbage in the hall ways, attendants standing around idly while rooms could have been cleaned. On our last day we leave at 6 am and return at 8pm, the bathroom was never cleaned--they actually tossed (?) our toiletries into the bathtub, left no towels, I had to call to get this resolved, they gave me 2000 Hyatt points, great but what I wanted was a clean non smelling room! The bathroom was never clean, it was disgusting, not sure when/if the shower head has been cleaned.

When the front desk called to ask how our stay was I said, well I had to call 2 times in two days to get the toilet fixed so we could actually sleep, I had to call 1 time in regards to the bathroom never being cleaned, no towels and our things tossed into the tub.... she said, ok, do you need a wakeup call?
Maybe Hyatt needs a wakeup call??

This hotel is on the river walk but you have to walk 1/2mile or more to get to any restaurants.

This was a disappointing point to our trip. We paid way too much for Hyatt I feel like a motel 6 would have been cleaner.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Mill Valley, California
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed for 3 nights to attend a conference at the convention center, an easy 10-minute walk away. I loved being out of the over-commercialized, touristy, somewhat tacky central area adjacent to the convention center, though some might find the location to feel a bit isolated. My 3rd-floor river-view room was large and clean, a perfect home base for my visit. I loved the access to the river walk - it is well-lit and felt safe even for pre-dawn solo runs, lots of walkers/runners out early. The staff was super friendly, the WiFi is free, and there is a standard Hyatt Place connection panel so you can connect your device to a large-screen TV (BYO cables). A few downsides: the elevators have a musty smell, the breakfast items were a bit stale, the closet was quite small for such a large room, and there was no bathtub. But at ~$150/night, this place can't be beat and I would stay again on my next visit to the downtown area. Tip: The #5 bus from the airport goes directly past this hotel, only $1.20 - a steal!

Room Tip: The riverview room was only slightly more than a standard room but a huge improvement over looking o...