“Sloppy housekeeping”

Ranked #39 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas, United States
“Sloppy housekeeping”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

After I arrived in my room, I found the previous occupants dirty towels hanging on the shower curtain...GROSS! I tried to call the desk...the phone didn't work. Had to walk down to desk and request a clean up. When I got back 5 hours later, the problem had not been fixed. I walk down...again. "Oh, so sorry...blah, blah, blah". The house keeper was knocking on my door as I was walking down the hall. She just grabs the towels, offers me more towels, shampoo, etc and leaves. The next morning, I make coffee in the room...find only 1 package of sugar/creamer. The microscopic amount of creamer doesn't even turn the coffee from black to brown...I didn't even drink it. The room was pretty dusty and I woke up with a stuffy nose both days. For what they are charging for this room, it was pretty shabby. Both head boards need replacing. The "leather" on them were very scratched. The lounge chair needed cleaning. One thing that really irritates me is how they make the bed. I understand that using a flat sheet on the mattress is standard. However, when they tuck the top sheet and spread in, all the way around, it makes the bottom sheet come untucked when you get in the bed. I toss and turn a lot and hate it when the bottom sheet and mattress cover is all wrinkled and becomes lumpy. Thank goodness I brought my own pillow. Their pillows were very soft and I need a firm one. I wish hotels would put a variety of pillows on the beds, so you could choose.

The lobby and elevators were clean.

All the staff were polite. A few updates and some heavy cleaning and attention to details are needed here.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Mary-Ann C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Houston area, Texas
Reviewed 4 August 2014

There are always a few items I need before booking a hotel: Parking fees, Complimentary Breakfasts, and Fitness Center.
Due to the nature of this vacation my husband requested to be ON the Riverwalk. I'll break these items down for you and also add some other notes.

PARKING: Free, self parking LOT area, not a parking garage so you can have taller vehicles. Parking is in front of hotel and not away or across the street. No Valet. Not sure if hotel allows you to double park with a trailer since we were not pulling.

COMPLIMENTARY BREAKFAST: Other reviewers mention area is crowded. This is totally true. They offer different selections every morning on the "hot" area. One morning was waffles (PRE MADE - no DIY Waffles) and breakfast sandwiches (muffins with bacon, gouda, and egg and also an egg white with Canadian bacon and some sort of a hollandaise looking sauce - not too bad for "free."), another morning was eggs and sausage (not super delicious but not disgusting) with pancakes (PRE MADE - not DIY) and our last morning was French toast sticks and more sausage with Veggie Scramble and some other type of scrambled eggs.
Every morning there were donuts, fruit salad mix, cottage cheese and yogurt (vanilla), toast type items and bagels. Fresh Fruit - apples green and red, bananas, and oranges. Also small travel cereals that come in the bowl you can eat out of.
Coffee was terrible. Even with 7 creams and 7 sugars I could only get thru half a cup. They do offer hot water and a selection of teas.

FITNESS CENTER- I tried to view photos of the fitness center online but there was only one. I did go down to take a peek and there are at least 1 treadmill, I think there is an elliptical and they do have a set of free weights. I did not see a TV with DVD player for us Beach Body workout peeps. UNFORTUNATELY.... on 7/31/14 there was a note in the window that the FC was "closed for renovations." I was sorely disappointed.

RIVERWALK PROXIMITY: This hotel is directly on the Riverwalk. I timed it and it is about a 10m walk via the Riverwalk to the stadium area where they do shows. (If you've been to SARW you know the grassy area I mean). Being this far down it was very quiet. NO TRAINS or PLANES or noisy freeway traffic.

Other items of note:
BONUS RIVERVIEW BALCONY! We paid the small upcharge to be on river side. I didn't know but this has a tiny balcony. 2 small chairs and a tiny bistro table. It's non smoking on the balconies also so that was nice for us. They are doing construction next door but we didn't notice any noise or dirt. We did use it as a swim suit drying area, I won't lie...

BATHROOM/SHOWER: This area was very tiny. The exhaust fan wasn't working so after 4 people have showered it was pretty humid.
Full sized mirror on outside of closet was nice for me!

BEDS and PILLOWS: Beds and pillows were very comfortable. *note* I decided on the 2 bed room. I thought these were queen size beds, but I believe they were full size. My husband is 6ft tall and we wound up having the boys (2 aged 14) sleep on the couch and I took one bed and my husband the other.

LINENS: Towels weren't the softest but not thin and scratchy. The top linen on one of the beds had a weird stain on it, but they still seemed clean. My husband wasn't as forgiving as I was.

COUCH: They have a nice sized sectional in the 2 bed room with a pull out. The boys slept on the couch one night and pull out the other night. Not sure why they didn't use the pull out the 2nd night but ...teenagers...

There is a half wall that divides the bed area from the family area.

TV: Nice huge screen for a hotel room. A few of the early channels were distorted.

KITCHEN AREA: A small sink and fridge are available in a separate area from the bed/bath area. Also a one cup coffee maker is in room. Fridge is small. Don't think you'll get an entire 24 pack of water plus sandwich meats in that thing.
Coffee mugs and water glasses + ice bucket are in an area beneath the tv. They are not in plastic. There were no bags in our trash bins, either. Not sure if that was on purpose or an oversight.

AC: Ugh this thing RUNS all night. It does not turn off and on. You may be able to fall asleep using the noise as a white noise, but I guess at least it doesn't wake you up by clicking or coming on suddenly in the middle of the night. There is no thermostat, it's just different areas of blue and red and high or low fan/cool/heat.

ELEVATORS: No lie, elevators are slow. And people constantly hold them for other people on the floors. We took the stairs more than I normally would and definitely more than my husband wanted to! (We were on 4).

STAFF: Everyone we encountered was very nice! Even if they didn't have a smile on their face they were working to make sure there were enough plates at the breakfast buffet, towels for your room, or just keeping the place clean. (Lobby was super clean!)

BAR/SNACKS: I thought the snacks were free, but they are "cash and carry" or charge to room. There is a bar that we did not utilize. Snacks are candy, muffins and cupcakes, and I'm pretty sure there were some slices of cheesecake.

POOL: I did not use the pool but the boys did, I'm assuming it was fine since they didn't say otherwise. Pool is open from 10-9 I believe.

QUIET TIME: There are signs posted in the elevator areas that quiet time is from 9PM to 8AM. I do not know if they enforce this but we had Zero Problems with noise in this hotel.

This hotel is pretty close to shops at La Cantera. It was a cute shaded shopping area with craftsmen or artists type of offerings.

If you are going to Six Flags it's about a 25 minute drive. They have brochures in the lobby area with coupons you should check out.

Room Tip: Riverview has balcony so consider upgrading. Double rooms have beds too small for 6ft tall men.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
10 Thank sexymedusa
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hotel was purported to be nice, however my accommodations were worse than a 1 star hotel, far overpriced for the bed and the bath. the room temperature was unbearable, after repeatedly trying to fix, I suffered with a box fan. In conversation later I discovered everyone on the 3rd, and 5th floors were having these issues. Room insulation seemed thin, in that the noise made sleep difficult. staff were average friendly - no one went out of the way to help. when asked they did their best, but not as I expected. hotel will be renovated soon, but not soon enough. riverwalk was convenient, but frankly there are 4 other hotels with same access. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: be prepared for a lousy night
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Lou Deane L
Rosenberg, Texas
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The bed was very uncomfortable. My husband and I both suffered back aches after spending one night in the bed. There was also a terrible sewage smell coming from underneath the sink. We also noticed cigarette burns on the sofa. The rooms are basically in need of a remodel. On the plus side, the AC worked well and the staff members were all nice.

• Stayed July 2014
3 Thank 357chick
Reviewed 25 July 2014

you cant beat how close you are to everything. Walking distance to Alamo, River Walk, Theaters, tons of other sights. Restaurants galore!! night life bright and in full swing.

the hotel is top notch, big comfy beds. A little dated but still a nice room. Front desk always willing to help. Just a wonderful stay with the family.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the alamo side. Great sunsets!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Arismendez25
Houston, Texas, Usa
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Hyatt riverwalk is in the heart of the Rivetwalk. Surrounded by many excellent restaurants and bars, the excitement of San Antonio is just steps away. From the glass elevators to the rooftop pool, the hotel is a visual treat. Sit on the patio of the Worm Tequila bar and enjoy a summer night of people watching. The Alamo is just a stones throw away. The rooms are goos size for an extended stay.

Room Tip: Use Hyatt rewards to upgrade to an executive suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Daniel S
Forest, Virginia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Excellent service, beautiful view of the Riverwalk - just like walking into a park. Great place for children - lots of them - quiet, relaxing, wonderful people at the desk. Strongly recommended - we will stay there the next time we go to San Antonio.

Room Tip: Either side is good - one faces the Riverwalk, one faces San Antonio.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends