“Drive a little....save a lot”

Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk
Ranked #157 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Drive a little....save a lot”
Reviewed 27 January 2011

First of all, a little gem away from the downtown area. Upon driving in, tired, from New Orleans, I asked at the desk if I could check in early and they allowed me to do so. The front desk people offered me a variety of discounts when I asked which one was the best. I settled for a "military" rate and that was better than the rate I was quoted and billed for. They made the changes and that was almost $30.00 US for 2 nights. That money was used for a nice Texas BBQ restaurant. Second, you go to countries, cities and certain destinations for the attractions or shopping, not to stay in your room and mope about the room charge, dirty this or that. I walked into the room and was surprised at how "Hampton Inn" it was. This was my first Red Roof Inn and the view from my 5th floor window was of the downtown area and a freeway but I did not hear the cars nor was the scenery blocked by any obstruction. There is a nice "office" type set up for my lap top, charging of my NUVI and assorted cameras. There is a coffee maker, microwave, fridge, iron and board and, surprisingly as my pictures show, no dust under the bed or anything that goes squish in the night. A small Con; under the overpass are brightly colored lights but also some street urchins. I had no problem with them and EVERY city in the world has street people. The breakfast was quick and not meant to be the drawing point of staying there. Eat and get out. Never had a problem with the front desk and all sheets, towels and surfaces were clean. Did not venture into the pool but did walk by it. Ample parking, off street and elevators to your floor.

So, personally, have a GPS to get you back to the hotel and not a cheap one like I have. It's not hard but I was tired and the GPS had outdated routes. You can walk downtown and to the Alamo faster than I drove around. My friends stayed at another hotel, on the Riverwalk and paid up to $50.00 more per night. While that's expensive, they were literally right on the Walk and I had to pay $10.00 for parking at a city run lot. Next time I went back to their hotel, they gave me their parking ticket for that day and I was able to park for free, all day...in and out.

I can state that the hotel is quiet, clean, business and leisure traveler ready and a good place for kids who like to roll around on floors. My carpet seemed almost new and the outside view was clean and unblocked. Across the I-35 (maybe I-37) was a Hampton Inn that charged almost 30.00 more per night and also had a view of the same highway I had. So, save a lot by staying here and walk or drive to your destinations. I also take ear plugs everywhere and use them nightly, even in my own bedroom. Carry them!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank CajunArgie
RRIGM, Front Office Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, 30 January 2011
Thank you for such a detailed review. We are very happy that your stay exceeded your expectations. Thank you as well for sharing pictures of your room during your stay, these pictures reflect the quality that you can expect at an economy brand such as ours.

Red Roof Inn
San Antonio, Texas 78205
210-229-9973 i0248@redroof.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 25 January 2011

OK, the rooms were as basic as basic could be in condition and amenities. The dominant view was the freeway going by at eye level. And one room lacked chairs and hot water when we arrived. But as fast as we called the desk they were on it pronto, and as nice as they could be. The part about it being an easy walk to everything you want to see downtown is totally true, and again the staff made finding our destinations a snap with easy to follow directions. So, your average middle class motel with a totally above average staff that elevated it.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
We are very happy that your stay was an enjoyable one. We look forward to ensuring all of our guests receive the level of service that you did. Thank you for revieiwing our property.
Biloxi, Ms
Reviewed 23 January 2011

I checked into this hotel with an open mind. The staff was outstanding and courteous, the rooms were clean and well laid out, the continental breakfast was spot on. By the time I left (5 days later), all the staff knew me by name. If I had an issue (safe in my room was locked) it was delt with immediately. WAY TO GO, YOU HAVE DONE AN OUTSTANDING JOB!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank robwnt
RRIGM, Front Office Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, 26 January 2011
Thank you for your response and feedback. It's always nice to hear what we did right especially when we delivered on the "WOW" factor. We will pass your comments on to our team so they can see how their service made your stay! Thank you again.
Silver City, New Mexico
Reviewed 8 January 2011

"Hotel was average". Yes it was. Good clean rooms, basic necessities and below average prices. Pretty average to me.

I observed blackish looking stuff covered up with what appeared to be silicone around the tub which was a turn off, but the tub was clean and I would have had a nice bath if there had been any hot water. Hubby took his shower later and said it got too hot. No hot water the next morning either. That was the only downside to the stay.

The fellow that was only duty at check-in in was very professional and helpful.

For the price, this was a very good bargain and a very pleasant stay.

Pat

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mzwhiz
RRIGM, Front Office Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, 10 January 2011
Thank you for taking time to review our property. Your feedback about your stay is very important to us. We do apologiize for the issue with the lack of hot water and the bathtub. We will enusre that we follow up with these. We are happy that price was what you were looking for and the remainder of your stay is what you expected. Thank you again for your feedback.
San Antonio, TX 78205
Indiana
Reviewed 15 December 2010

I selected this hotel because it had a good price and had pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor. When I arrived, I was not satisfied with the looks of the beds in the room. Mattresses were real thin layer and lower in height than other hotels I have stayed. I felt okay when asleep on the beds. The TV did not have good picture quality and only one channel had good view that was not fuzzy. As for the shower, the valve is confusing on the water temperature and difficult to turn water off because valve does not stop when turning it one way. On my last day, I left to tour and returned around 5 p.m. with the room not cleaned. I reported to the desk and they took action. It was done when I came back later in the evening after dinner. I am not sure why maid service was late. As for breakfast, it looked okay because there was only bagels and muffins along with coffee and juice. I skipped and went to a restaurant to enjoy a Mexican breakfast which was so good. It was at the Mi Tierra Cafe at Market Square.

Overall, the location was good and had short walking distance to all the downtown activities. It is also good if you are going to a Spurs Game because a bus stop is nearby for pickup to the game. I do recommend this place for those who are traveling on a budget and don't wish to spend alot of money to stay downtown. I do not recommend to those who want a more comfortable stay during their visit like a nice comfortable relaxing bed along with a nice hot free breakfast with more options.

I will not be staying at Red Roof Inn anymore because it is not my type of hotel when taking future travels. If I went back to San Antonio, I would stay at Hampton Inn a few blocks closer to downtown.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
RRIGM, Front Office Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, 21 December 2010
Thank you for taking time to review our property. We understand that most savvy travelers, such as yourself, are always looking for ways to save money during these tight economic times and we appreciate you choosing to stay with us during your trip to San Antonio. As an economy brand hotel we try to ensure that every basic need is met and that all our guests enjoy their stay. Thank you again trying us out and we truly appreciate the feedback you gave on your stay.

Red Roof Inn San Antonio Downtown-Riverwalk
San Antonio, Tx
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 15 December 2010

The overall appearance and service at the hotel was okay. My room was a little dirty with dried ketchup on the table and mold in the bathroom by the bathtub. The area under the table had not been swept.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for letting us know about your recent stay with us. We have reviewed with our quality team the importance of addressing all areas including attention to the detail in the room. We apologize that you found the issues you did in your room and we continue to train our staff on a daily basis. Thank you again for informing us and we look forward to your return in the future.
Red Roof Inn San Antonio Downtown-Riverwalk
San Antonio, Tx
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 14 December 2010

This Red Roof Inn is a great value when staying in San Antonio. It is located in Downtown, a short 5-10 minute walk from all sights and attractions. If walking is not your thing, there is a trolley stop just outside of the hotel, which will take you anywhere in the city.
The hotel is fairly newly constructed. The King rooms are very spacious, with comfortable beds. The furnishings are quite new and all equipment is in good condition. Standard equipment includes all of the necessities including hair dryer, iron and most importantly a fridge. The east side of the hotel offers wonderful views of downtown right out your window.
This property is absolutely a steal if you want to stay close to the action and don't want to pay $200 a night. I will definitely go back.
Oh yeah, special VIA shuttle will take you directly to the Spurs games from just around the corner at Ellis Alley Park, and will drop you off at the hotel immediately after.
GO SPURS!!!!!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
RRIGM, Front Office Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ San Antonio Downtown - Riverwalk, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Thank you for your review of our property. We look forward to all of our guests sharing thier experiences with everyone.
Red Roof Inn Downtown-Riverwalk