“Remarkable River Stay”

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk
Ranked #7 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 15 May 2014

We were fortunate to have a balcony river view room and the view was so pretty, especially at night with all of the lights on the trees. It was not loud, yet we felt like we were part of the local vibe. The buffet breakfast, free drinks,buffet dinner, and parking garage were such an added bonus and we really appreciated the extras. We would go to the buffet and have our drinks and later in the evening we would go to dinner at a river walk restaurant. The staff was always helpful & friendly and even delivered a little welcome treat to our room. We will certainly stay at this hotel during our next trip to San Antonio!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a balcony, so you can sit and enjoy the river walk.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,575)

Reviewed 9 May 2014

We have just returned from a visit to San Antonio..and spent three nights at this hotel.
My wife had stayed there last year, and suggested we do so again. This is an old hotel...but the location on The Riverwalk is ideal, the staff has to be the most congenial and friendly I have ever encountered (sincere friendliness I might add)...and the added value amenities are terrific.
Their complimentary breakfast is a cut above what is typically offered at limited lodging facilities..and is served in their lovely lobby overlooking The Riverwalk. They also offer a complimentary "kick-back/happy hour" from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m. that includes three complimentary beverages.. i.e. wine, beer or cocktail) as well as extensive hors doeuvres that can be your dinner if you choose. During our stay... the itmes included hot dogs, chips/dips... salad, baked potatoes, meat balls and other items. They also offer complimentary coffee and soft drinks 7/24...as well as free popcorn in the lobby in the afternoons, in room internet access...and one hour per day of free long distance calls. If you are looking for a great place to stay where you will be welcomed... I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrPr946
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I titled my review exactly as a prior reviewer did in 2012. More on why soon..

This is definitely a wonderful property to consider. I'd go back. Note below pros and cons, and tips.

I booked here thinking I was going for the Plaza on SOUTH St. Mary's, which is rated a little higher. We visited the other property, a one minute walk away, and I like the lobby and setting better at NORTH St. Mary's. The Plaza, at SOUTH, consists of two towers connected by a bridge and I would find that a tad inconvenient if I wanted to use the pools. And I liked the lobby better at NORTH; it is always locked, it is spacious yet the seating is organized so you can get a little evening family coziness before heading upstairs, and in the morning, you can find a place to eat. The NORTH property isn't locked at all times.

Pros:

Location. Right on the river. Walk to Alamo and touristy stuff, Starbucks, etc. Quick drive to airport, Mission de San Jose, and other great attractions.

Staff. Everyone is enthusiastic, from the garage staff to the cleaning crew to the reception desk. Ialesa (I'm sure I spelled that wrong) did a great job of sprucing up our room of teenagers and was cheerful about being our fixer of the toilet and TV.

Security. I liked that the lobby was always locked and the garage, whenever I looked, was manned. The amenities, such as fitness room (good enough) and pool, had to be accessed with your active room key.

Food included. Breakfast is hearty enough. Hot dogs and Mac and cheese are available in the afternoon.

Room. Our suite was narrow but long. It had an outside sink, useful when the bathroom was occupied. The balcony was nice, the city view sweet enough. The beds were comfortable.

Cons.

Location. This property is located near a bus stop and an overlook to the Riverwalk so the occasional crowding might unnerve a suburbanite visitor.

Garage. If you are driving to arrive, you might miss the narrow driveway into the garage. This tip from another reviewer helped:
"Getting into the Drury lobby by car takes some paying attention to the signs. St. Mary's is a one way street and you must turn into a narrow driveway between the hotel and the building next to it. You can not park in the parking garage off of the lobby or enter the building from the parking garage without a key card. So stop and register at the front desk."

Room. Very dim, except in area near balcony door. I appreciate saving on energy costs, but I think it could still be brighter. Couch and recliner comfy but very worn and stained. Sofa bed poky.

Carpet: Hey, management: when are you gonna replace or deep-clean the floor? You can't see the colors of the carpets throughout the building or rooms because of the multiple layers of black. That's why I named my review the same as one with details almost exactly as mine posted in August 2012. Same pros, same room cons.. And back then, Drury management responded to that review that refreshing upgrades were imminent. And here we are, same bad stuff!

So:
I highly recommend this hotel for value, location, staff, functionality of room, and potential for view.

Room Tip: Family: High floor for quiet and access to outdoor pool, laundry, fitness room, and REST ROOMS! Br...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank RoadTrip19Mom
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Riverwalk, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very pleased to hear that you had a great stay overall with us! We do our absolute best to provide the service that makes a stay exceptional. While we have been making incremental improvements over the past few years, we expect to see even more through 2015, which should address many of the items that you mentioned. We really do appreciate and use your feedback and hope that you continue to allow us to serve you in the future.

Matthew Funk

Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We were there during fiesta and it was packed. The desk did an incredible job handling the huge, unruly groups. It's a great location, has a happy hour and breakfast better than most hotels. Would choose it again.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Mitzi H
Reviewed 4 May 2014

From the spacious and spotless lobby to the friendly efficient staff , the fastest check in from Nicole. The spacious , immaculate room plus even the recliner with the pull up handle for the footrest, I was impressed. The breakfast, kickback buffet, free drinks, free Wifi plus the convenience of being right on the riverwalk and walking to just about everything in the immediate area. A great place for anyone, especially families, seniors etc., looking for value and convenience for their vacation .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This hotel is in a superb position for the Riverwalk and right in the centre of San Antonio. The complimentary breakfast was excellent and the"Kickback" complimentary drinks and food between 5-30pm and7pm was great. Baked potatoes, salad, meat balls, pasta, hot dogs - you did not an evening meal if you availed of all of this! Room was spacious and very comfortable and clean. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband and I recently went to San Antonio to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and stayed at the Drury Inn and Suites on the Riverwalk. This place is wonderful! The staff are extremely friendly and accommodating. The room was so clean and comfortable. We could not have asked for a better experience!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple