“Cleaning staff killing this hotel!”

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway
Ranked #67 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Missouri
“Cleaning staff killing this hotel!”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

This is a beautiful hotel. Friendly staff at front desk. Great comfortable beds. Great Kick Back, and Breakfast is awesome!! So, what is the problem? It's NOT kept clean!! Our room at check had long black hairs on the bed, dirt behind the door, and trash in one corner (used plastic fork, and plastic trash) During Kick Back and Breakfast..it is disgusting how people eat, and they don't seem to have the staff to keep up with the peoples mess. Food and trash all over the floors, tables not wiped off. At breakfast there was still popcorn all over the floors from the night before. That morning, I saw the General Manager sweeping the popcorn up! Soda spilled in the lobby and sticky all over the floor. All evening it was there!! I finally reported it so someone would come clean it up! Management, you are going to lose return customers if you don't put some pressure on your cleaning staff to step up! This is not the standard of cleanliness for Drury Hotels. I love the area, but I would have to think twice before staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Missouri_Peacock
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway, responded to this review, 9 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel. I am so glad you found our front desk staff to be friendly, the beds comfortable and that you thought our free hot breakfast and Kickback were great!

I do most sincerely apologize for the cleanliness issues you experienced while at our hotel. This is absolutely not up to Drury standards, nor is this the norm for our Drury. I was just as disappointed to read about these issues as you were to experience them. There is no excuse, but I want to assure you that we are working closely with our entire team to ensure no other guest shares your same experience.

Thank you again for your feedback as it is very valuable to us in improving our service. I truly hope you will give us another opportunity to better serve you when you are in the San Antonio area again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Southaven, Mississippi
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We stayed at this location due to a visit to Sea World. I almost passed on this location due to the reviews about the unsafe parking lot. But it wasn't true. On the first floor is the check in, pool, exercise room & breakfast/snacky area. Floors 2-5 are the parking garage, which is accessible by your room key by a gate. Once in the parking garage you park (and any wise person would take anything valuable into your room. We actually took everything in, including charge chords.) Then you need your key to get into the elevator room. Rooms are floors 6 & up. There is a patio type area I think at floor 6 with tables & umbrellas that over look the area. Nice! The room was clean and comfy. The staff was very friendly. The breakfast and snack time food was average, but no real complaints. Enjoyed the free (3) alcoholic beverages :) After a hot day at Sea World we enjoyed the pool area that is indoors, but seems there are tons of un parented children running around so that kind of put a damper on that time as they were loud and rambunctious. This happened on both days. ( I really think the staff should check in on this. The rules state children must be with parents. They might want to make sure there are parents with these children. There were like 5 under the age of 10 without parents. There was a nice sunning area just outside the pool area in which we took part. All and all a great place to stay. Don't let the scare that people posted about the unsafe parking. Leave your camera etc in the car and you will get it taken in any parking area.

Room Tip: Away from the elevator :)
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Diana K
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Not romantic, very family friendly. I don't have a family of my own but I was fascinated at how much families enjoyed and took advantage of the amenities this hotel has to offer. Kick-back hour is the best, I love the Tequila Sunrise drink. ;)

They have a small gym which we used and there is a great bike/running trail behind the hotel, literally! It's long so people do all sorts of distances.

The shopping center across the highway is beautiful and there are plenty of places to eat around the area.

I highly recommend this hotel. For the cost, it's a great value.

FYI-if you go during the 4th of July weekend, you can see Six Flag's fireworks from the parking lot or garage. :)

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I was not disappointed in our stay at this hotel, it is conveniently located not far from Fiesta Texas, IMAX theatre and was decently priced. The beds are comfortable, the room was clean. A plus is the Happy hour with snack foods, hot dogs, nachos, mac and cheese and chicken nuggets. It wasn't the best, but wasn't the worst either. The breakfast (eggs, biscuits, gravy, sausage, hash browns) is included as well, again not the best but filling. We willl stay here again, especially if we plan a Fiesta Texas trip.

Room Tip: If you do stay during the summer, stay in a room facing Fiesta Texas, you can watch the fireworks in...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Everything about this place screams cheap. From the shampoo/soap dispensers in the shower, the wait time for an elevator, the strange parking arrangements and most of all the amount of FREE food available. I guess this is what America expects...FREE everything. The one positive is that the room was quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway, responded to this review, 26 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of your stay at the Drury Inn & Suites near La Cantera Parkway. We truly appreciate your feedback and your business. At Drury, our slogan is “The Extras aren’t Extra.” Providing a free hot breakfast, free evening cocktails and hot snacks along with free wireless internet and free long distance calling, is our way of providing great value to our guests.

It is our sincere hope that when in the San Antonio area again, you will give our hotel another opportunity to be of service to you.
Katy, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We booked this hotel based on prior experiences at Drury Inn's... We have stayed at many and we like what you get, to a point.

Location... If you are going to Six Flags, AWESOME location! Minutes away, with very little difficulty as far as traffic, etc...

Check-in... Very good overall. They were able to accommodate all of our requests (floor, view, etc...). Fresh made popcorn in the lobby, all day... Good stuff!

Staff... Overall, the great service from all that worked the desk and the food area. NOT the best with the housekeepers. On the day of checkout (11am), I get a knock on my door at 9am. The little lady asked me what time we are leaving. Why? If check-out is not until 11, why am I getting disturbed? I'm glad we were not asleep. I told her that we were leaving when check-out is required, 11am. I get another knock on the door 15 minutes later. It's the same housekeeper!! She again asks me when I was leaving. I motioned that I have already explained that to her and she wanted to make a big deal about this. Saying that I needed to have the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my door. Really?? WHY? You should not harass your guest until 11am, if you have to do it at all. I had to call the front desk and ask that she please leave us alone until 11am. They took care of it. For this alone, they do not get a 4-5 for service.

Room... The room (suite) is nice, complete with fridge, microwave and two tv's. The A/C blew cold all of the time, without stopping. A huge plus for us. Some hotels have the motion sensor A/C's, meaning if no motion, it stops or maintains a certain temp. That is not good when you sleep (it would stop). But not here. We slept very well!!

Cleanliness... Not the best, in fact, the worse I have seen in any hotel. We seemed to find long black or dark brown hairs all over. I found one stuck (meaning stuck when it was wiped down or "cleaned") on top of the toilet (back). Found one stuck on their hairdryer and one stuck to one of the racks in the fridge. Not very good cleaning. They give you a one cup coffee maker. The base, where you place you cup was extremely dirty. To me, that's not a big deal, but it is when they place my cup upside down on top of the filth. They give you a container with sugar, creamers and two stirrers. Usually these stirrers are in plastic. These are not. One was stuck in the container due to filth. Everything else "looked" good. The bed was comfortable, but the sheets the gave us (the fitted) has three holes in it. Even though it looked clean, why would you use sheets that have holes in them??

The breakfast... It's ok if you just need something to fill your gut, but this is just ok. I know it's "free", but this is one of their selling points. You get eggs (sorry, I don't like runny eggs), sausage (too greasy), potatoes, biscuits and gravy, yogurt, bagels, breads, apples, bananas, oatmeal, cereals and you can make you own waffles. I like the waffles! Like I said, this is good for what it's intended, but it's hard eating this more than once. If you are on a budget, then this works just fine.

The "dinner", 5:30-7pm... You get hot dogs (stale buns), chili, baked potatoes (these are old and inedible), chips with nacho cheese, salad, soup, pasta with sauce and meatballs. Again, this is free and it works for what it's intended, but... It's just not good in our opinion. If you don't feel like getting out or on a budget, this works. It would be nice if they mix it up from time to time... We ate out the second night.

Drinks...

For breakfast: coffee, juice, milk and sodas if you choose...

For dinner, pretty much the same, but they throw in drinks for adults. You can choose from Bud Light (tap) to mixed drinks (up to three per adult, per night). Again, it's good for what it's intended, but... Well lets just say we were eligible for 6 drinks total for our stay and only drank 2. They use "no-name" alcohol for the mixed drinks. We don't like it because it gives us a headache, so we don't drink it. Bud light was ok and probably the best option as far as getting something you know. This is a nice perk if you do not have a preference.

Parking... Plenty of secured covered parking. Very nice, don't have to worry about your car overnight.

Elevators were very fast. This was good considering the place was packed with families!

The pool was an indoor pool. This is good for rain, but not good if you want some sun. Really no place to lay out. We may not stay here again for that reason. Kids like being outside. They do have a 6th floor terrace. It's nice, but it's pretty much like a courtyard, with tables and chairs for eating, drinking or whatever. It would be nice if they had some lounge chairs here.

Overall, we will stay at a Drury again. We may even stay here. The negatives with cleaning may be isolated, not sure. Maybe it's just this one housekeeper on the 11th floor? This is a great place for families going to Six Flags. Large families will benefit from the free breakfast/dinner options.

Room Tip: Stayed on 11th floor, odd number side... Great view. Quiet.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a thorough review of your stay with us at the Drury Inn & Suites near La Cantera Parkway. Your feedback is important to us. We take your comments seriously and are always looking to improve . From the rating provided, it seems you were pleased overall, but I want to reassure you the housekeeping comments have been shared with the team member involved so that no other guest will share your same experience. I do hope you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you when you return to San Antonio!
Mexico City, Distrito Federal, Mexico
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Positives: hot free breakfast and evening hot snacks and drinks. Free alcohol at night (3). Large defined suites, quiet rooms ( even with a room full of kids next door), helpful staff (Tracy at frontdesk was wonderful as well as Norma who serviced room), terrace, location and secured garage.

Cons: pool looked in need of a good cleaning, beds in suite were so soft they felt like sleeping on pillows (not good for adults but kids loved them), bathroom in suites were small and without fans.

Overall really good stay and will stay again when returing next year.

• Stayed July 2013