“The fanciest Drury I have stayed at...nice rooms and great complimentary food”

Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway
Ranked #73 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Pearland, Texas
“The fanciest Drury I have stayed at...nice rooms and great complimentary food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I have stayed at a lot of Drury hotels but this one is very fancy and very different than the rest I have seen. It has a parking garage instead of a parking lot, nice rooms including some extra big ones that are like mini suites, and a huge selection of complimentary foods including warm foods and veggies. I think they did this fancy concept to be hip in the upscale La Cantera area...and they did just that! As with all other Drury hotels the price is pretty reasonable especially considering the complimentary food and drinks you get which comes in handy when you are traveling with your family. If you are in SA for the night and wan to stay in the La Cantera/ Fiesta TX area, you may want to give this place a try.

Some of the benefits of staying with Drury are: reasonable prices, 2 complimentary adult drinks of your choice in the evening (wine or beer for sure, some locations have Margaritas, etc), complimentary food in the morning and evening (if you don't want to go out), and a fairly generous rewards program where you can get points for a free stay fairly quickly.

Enjoy!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Scotts_Travel_Tips

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Dallas,Tx
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

I would like to share the wonderful experience my family and I
had at the Drury Inn La Cantera in San Antonio. While we have
stayed at several hotels in the past,we do not usually write reviews.

After the wonderful stay I would like to mention a few things that
make the La Cantera property EXTRAORDINARY!!!

Check in:
Greeted by the hotel General Manager, Tracy with a warm smile
beaming with hospitality. Check in was prompt and courteous.
La Cantera has an unique policy to ensure that business and family
travelers have an enjoyable stay. Quiet time after 10 pm is
encouraged for a peaceful time for all. Kudos to Drury Inn.

Parking:
The layout innovative, guest rooms 6-12th floors, three speedy
elevators with room for several inhabitants. Parking outside the
hotel exterior as well as secured parking indoors with easy access
to the elevators starting at the 2nd floor.

Rooms:
Large, well decorated, all rooms easily accessible from the elevator.
No laborious or lengthy walks to rooms the elevators. Hallways and
lobby with upbeat styling.

Work out area:
Moderate size, nice enclosed swimming pool and hot tub.

Breakfast and evening meals:
Conveniently located dining area. Great warm breakfast. A warm
soul named Katherine “Kat” who will only enrich your morning
meal with outstanding service which is only surpassed by her warm
smile and the feeling of a Mother taking care of her family.
BTY, enjoyed the fresh coffee!!!

Outstanding:
While every member gave you the feeling of being at home. I would like
to take time to mention a few by name while giving a heartfelt thanks to
the entire staff to include the housekeeping, ground folks who work
behind the seen whose name we may never know.

Special thanks to Rebecca, ,Eli, Victor. The amazing General Manager
Tracy and especially Katherine whose infectious smile and laughter feels the
Drury Inn with a wonderful sense of happiness. We will be making Drury Inn
La Cantera our home away from home. Looking forward to returning :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank bigjohnnyjrjr
Charlotte, North Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

Traveled from NC to TX for wedding in SA this weekend and location preselected for out of town wedding guests. After my 10 and 9 year old finished swimming, we headed to yesterday's 5:30 PM Kickback. No sooner after arriving, approached by manager, Tracy Thomas, who walked from behind front desk counter all they way to dining room and notified me that my children had to be wearing shoes... since in the middle of serving our food, I promptly told them to grab their plates and we headed back upstairs...Today at breakfast with my daughter, a 6 ft. Caucasian male with his teenage daughter entered the dining room. He, too, was casually dressed with shorts, t-shirt, and barefoot. Thirty minutes passed and two different employees, notably Hispanic, said not a word to him about his "lack of proper attire" and remained eating in dining room. We finished our breakfast and I was feeling a bit infuriated over the obvious difference in how we were treated the day before. Consequently, I walked over to front desk to express my sentiments to the current manager. Either you enforce your dress policy EQUALLY or make your sign much more explicit to include MUST WEAR SHOES other than just stating "Must wear proper attire". I am a professionally degreed Hispanic female and on occasion have had to encounter discriminatory comments or two during the past 15 years plus of my medical career, but this one took the cake! I never plan to return to this establishment.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank DRGMay2014
DruryHotels, General Manager at Drury Inn & Suites San Antonio Near La Cantera Parkway, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am glad we had the opportunity to speak over the phone regarding your recent stay with us. As you and I discussed, there was never an intention to be discriminatory towards you and your family, and I am just so sorry you left our hotel feeling that way. At Drury, we pride ourselves in the diversity of our team and guests.

I do believe this was more of a training issue with our Food & Beverage team. I have personally spoken with each member of our Food & Beverage team since that time to ensure they are aware of any guests who may come into the dining area without proper attire. I am confident that no other guest will share your same experience.

We value your business and hope that you will give Drury Hotels another opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Tracy Thomas
Edinburg, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

I live 40 miles from the beach (South Padre Island) and spending spring break there is...........not my cup of tea. its packed, expensive, more alcohol than there is in the Gulf and a haven for citations for any type of offense small or big.
This year with the gf and friends, we planned a group trip to San Antonio for the 14th thru the 16th, a weekend stay.

It should be known that I'm a Hilton Honors member and have been for a little over 10 years and have never really stayed with the Dury hotel chain before. Our decision to go to S.A was almost a last minute thought. We didn't fully commit to going to S.A until a few weeks before the departure date. Initially we wanted to stay at one of two Dury Inn hotels in the downtown area of the Riverwalk. One is the Dury Plaza and the other is the Dury Inn and Suites. Both are highly rated and located in historical buildings but the prices were around or above $300 a nite. So we hand to expand our scope outside of the downtown area, even though that's where most of our time was to be spent. So instead we decided upon this location located near Six Flags and the La Cantera shopping center. Also the University of Texas San Antonio is also located near by from this hotel, so if you're visiting your kid or attending a graduation, this hotel is in the perfect location.

Our rate was about $170 a nite which included the various city and occupation taxes that are included in the billed.

Since we were coming from South Texas, we came thru the South of the city from US Hwy 281. The hotel located on the corner of interstate 10 and Charles Anderson loop, getting there may require some detailed directions since the roads at the intersection are a maze. Identifying the hotel is easy as it stands a bit over 10 stories tall. A parking structure makes up the first half of the hotel which also houses the lobby, pool area, and breakfast/dining area.

I should also note that an Applebee's is attached to this property, literally attached. From what I understood there is a connecting hallway that leads you to it but didn't see it as we dined out every nite at the river walk and at the shops at La Cantera and else where around town. Also near by is a Longhorn Steakhouse, Olive Garden and Red Lobster.

The hotel itself is backed up into a wooded area that offers hiking and biking trails. Its popular as most days that I looked out there was people walking the trailers and I enjoy green space especially in large cities where its a jungle of cement and steel. As most reviewers mentioned as well before I booked my stay, most prefer views of the wooded area anyways. I would suggest this as well just for the view of the green space and the distant views of the hills that make up part of the famous Texas hill country. Our view from our room was 50/50, as in 50 scenic view of the woodland area and 50 of the highway. Never had an issue of outside noise from the highway.

Now onto the hotel itself, I've always considered the Dury chain aimed at families and targets familys on a budget and offering the best bang for the buck. I thought this could be a bad thing but I was wrong. For starters, the lobby is very nicely appointed and the staff upon check in were friendly. We arrived during their "Kick back' hour which includes refreshments and food (hot dog, spaghetti and nachos) Before we headed to our room we took advantage of the Kick Back hour which is very popular with guest as it was crowded. me and the gf had reserved a Deluxe King bedroom which was decent considering we planned it on Spring Break, including the safe parking, free internet, free breakfast, and the Kickback is a package deal when you factor those in. On top of that I also joined their rewards program which looks to be better structured than Hilton's program.

Our Deluxe King room, room 1011, was clean and nicely appointed in warm colors and granite everything. I've never seen so much granite before in a hotel at this price point. Granite hallway tile (pictured below), granite counter tops and what appeared as granite counter tops on the dresser and two lamp stands. Very classy and nicely done. the bathroom was spacious, nicely tiled and very clean. For 2 people, the room and restroom was adequate for our needs. A big plus was the mini fridge and microwave which was located in the dresser where the TV stands (picture included below) and this is something that isn't offered at many hotels. The a/c unit was very efficient at cooling our room down, although a cool front blew in during Saturday evening. The a/c did however, make a loud hum as it cycled on sometimes.

I'm all for conservation and earth friendly policies to an extent and this hotel is no exception. They have toilets that have 2 different flush buttons for solid or liquid waste, which can splash your parts as the toilet system flushes in a fashion that is different from traditional toilets. They also offer a policy of reusing your towels to save water otherwise you can place them on the floor and you get fresh ones.

Everything was problem free, with the minor exception of hallway noise which could be attributed to this being a family hotel so children will be children and the fact that our door had a 1 inch or larger gap between the bottom of the door and the floor. My gf is a light sleeper so any noise and light keeps her up at night. We had to put a bath towel at the bottom of the door so she could sleep. One thing that may concern some people, was that there is no lock on the restroom door. I sort of attributed it to the fact that this is a one bed room but a friend in our group who always stays with the Dury Inn chain commented that this is how it is in all their rooms that are solely King or Double bed rooms regardless. I wouldn't say its a deal breaker but it is something that I'm uncomfortable with. Otherwise the beds were comfortable and so were the plenty of pillows provided.

On Saturday we got up late and called the front desk to request our room to be serviced, granted if house keeping was still working. Upon return back to the room, everything was made and our bathroom was restocked with fresh clean towels, so no complaints there.

Another issue that is out of the hotels hands that some families who travel and stay at Dury is the fact that on both Friday and Saturday nites was the presents of drunken guests wondering around the lobby area. on the first nite, I figured they were coming from Applebee's and were returning back to their room and one male guest was hitting on another female guest. You can tell the female guest was rather uncomfortable as she knew the man and was married. On Saturday nite, someone from the front desk told someone in our group that there was a wedding when asked what was with all the activity in the lobby. So if you're traveling with children just be aware of that.

I'd really reconsider staying with Dury now in the future when I travel. Will be returning to SA for sure and will look towards booking either Dury one of the two Dury hotels located within the Downtown Riverwalk area. Otherwise the Dury Inn & Suites at La Cantera is a solid choice for those looking to shop, visit Fiesta Texas Six Flags or if you're visiting your kid at Univ Of Texas San Antonio since all three are within a mile or 2 from this property.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SNE544
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

Check in was a breeze. Hotel was very clean, staff was friendly and parking was safe and easy. The rooms were larger than expected, very quiet and well-appointed. Getting around this area of San Antonio is not user-friendly, but very grateful for the location of the hotel - plenty of places to eat, things to do, shopping, etc.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Kamfam5
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2013

We went to the Six flags during the first week of July. The park was very crowded and so was the hotel. The breakfast was ok and the service was friendly. The rooms were clean and fine too. Its proximity to Six flags is a huge bonus to stay here in my personal opinion.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

I stayed at this Inn for three business weeks in November. It looks like a new or recently built facility. They have an attractive lobby, excellent rooms, ample free indoor parking, lots of luggage carts, free breakfast, free after work buffet with three free alcholic drinks per night. There is also a nice guest laundry room and a small computer/printer area for guests. Their indoor pool is very attractive but the water was too cold. The hot tub is nice and they have a good work out room. Their elevators are well designed in that each floor has its own enclosed lobby to minimize sound.

They do not have their own restaurant or bar but there is an Appleby's attached to the building.
For those who run, there are seven miles of paved paths through the woods behind the hotel.

Their food is ample but boring. Breakfast included cereals, waffles, donuts, substandard pastries, sausage, biscuits and gravy...every day...no change in the menu...not even different muffins.
Their happy hour buffet was also the same every day---hot dogs, baked potatoes, salad, chips, pretzels, veggie sticks.

Their business center consists of two computers and a printer. The chairs here are also too low to sit in to comfortably use the computers (possibly to discourage long term use).

I stayed in king bed rooms facing the running paths behind the hotel. It was quieter than facing the highway at the front of the building. The bedroom desk would have been nice to use if the chair hadn't been way too low to sit in comfortably. I wish they had laptop desks like the Hampton Inns do. The bathrooms are very large, well lit, and very clean. They also provide shampoo, conditioner, and body wash from three dispensers in the bath.

Their rooms have outstanding temperature and fan controls You can regulate the temperature and the fan level. It was the quietest HVAC I ever encountered in a hotel room. Their phone system has a nice automated wake up feature that allows you to program your wake up time for the whole stay.

The cleaning of my rooms left something to be desired. After checking out the first time, I left a book in the room and called them later in the day but they could not find the book and did not offer to replace it. The second room I stayed in had the shower curtain hung incorrectly and I had to leave a note to get it fixed. The third room I had did not have any soap in it and, when I was packing, I found two mismatched socks and a pen on the floor near my bed. So much for vacuuming! I took the items down and gave them to the general manager who was profusely apologetic but did not comp me anything.

However, I would stay here again because they get the major things right and offer excellent value at a great price. It was my first stay at a Drury Inn and I will stay with the chain again in other cities.

Room Tip: Ask for a quietly located room facing the running paths in the woods. The hotel is quiet during the...