“Great surprise and cool building”
Review of King's Hwy Bbq

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
King's Hwy Bbq
Ranked #1,274 of 4,938 Restaurants in San Antonio
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Small place with big taste. We got the BBQ tacos and grilled cheese brisket. Everything had a great flavor, was tender, and were great combinations. My crew will definitely return for more when back in San Antonio.
The atmosphere of the old house made for a cool and laid back setting. The prices were very reasonable also.

Reviewed 8 May 2018

Ok so I'm going to preface this review by stating I have lived 18 years in San Antonio and 18 years in Austin. Now I live in Lockhart, so I should be able to give a decent review on a BBQ joint.

I ordered the BBQ trinity.(brisket, sausage, and ribs) First and foremost: The Brisket is AWESOME. I say this because I like the crunchy fatty layer closest to the bark. The brisket was very tender. Simple salt and pepper rub done right. If you are into sauce, get the spicy sauce. It is not very spicy. It should be called "regular sauce". The ribs that day were horrible, bad flavor and underdone. I'm hoping it was an off day because somebody else gave the ribs a good review. The sausage, was a little better than OK. (not the best) I like the snap of the casing. Tasted like all beef, which is what I like. I got the beans and slaw for the sides. (They were out of rice.) The beans had a strong beer flavor which is what I like in borracho beans. They needed a little more salt, so I added the sausage to them. Perfecto! The slaw was fresh and very tasty.

All and all, I would go back again and order nothing but brisket and maybe the sausage to put in my beans again. Then again, I might find another gem if I order the other half of the menu. Hope this review helps you.

Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

Had seen the carnie guisada grilled chz and thought it would be nice to go try. My wife and daughter tried the grilled chz and was good you can taste the home made in it. I went traditional and got brisket tacos and turkey and it was really good. Over all the food was good I didn’t care for the home made beans, I didn’t like that they didn’t have flour tortillas for their tacos and the parking is terrible the place it self is very small so if you want to sit inside you need to be ready when someone gets up, the food portions are small and the price is typical for a bbq place. I had tried going here before and the food was sold out so if you are planning to go you need to go early

Reviewed 5 February 2018

What a find. Excellent barbecue. Very ecliptic. Loved the mismatch whole in the wall look,but far from that. The staff is super friendly & helpful. Get there early they run out fast

Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

My visit to King’s Hwy was good today. I actually didn’t get traditional bbq, though, because I just ate bbq yesterday. My palette wanted something different, so I chose the carne guisada torta with a sausage link on the side.

While the atmosphere and the guisada torta was great, the sausage link was just ok. It had a good mix of spices in to flavor the meat, but fell short on that classic bbq smoke flavor.

A 2nd visit to try other menu items would be worth it to me, but I don’t live locally and may not get that opportunity. Bring the smoke, King’s crew!