“A Place To Sleep”

Aloft San Antonio Airport
Ranked #147 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 25 July 2010

Everything else was booked because of a convention, so I stayed here. Pros: good price, convenient to the airport, well maintained, nice bath area with large shower, coffee maker (with good coffee) and in-room safe. The bed was comfortable, TV was good and is connected to an electronics hook-up with plenty of outlets for charging phone, laptop, etc. My few interactions with hotel staff were good. There's a variety of decent restaurants and a Target store within easy walking distance.

Cons: there's no closet and not a single drawer in the room. There's a shallow (maybe 12 inches deep) wardrobe, more like a cupboard, with a curtain you can pull across it. Not enough room to hang much clothing. What can't be hung there has to be stacked on a narrow shelf. Also, there's no place to hang the hand towel in the sink area. The lack of closet and drawers was very inconvenient and irked me throughout my stay.

The area around the hotel is just parking lots and more parking lots. Not at all inviting. The hotel needs to do some designing and some landscaping to separate itself from the giant parking lot. Tiny little swimming pool, you can't swim at all, just for sitting in. The lobby area is all flashy/mod, geared toward twenty-somethings, and fairly loud music played all the time. Couldn't hear it in my 2nd floor room, though.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Makakilo

Reviewed 12 July 2010

We sincerely enjoyed staying at Aloft during our recent visit to San Antonio. There were no problems upon check-in, our room was very modern chic and comfortable. The amenities were great and we enjoyed being able to have our pet with us. She received a complimentary bed to sleep upon and some doggie treats when we checked in. The air conditioner worked great, the bed was comfortable, the large 42" t.v. was awesome as well as the area where we were able to set up our laptop and camera and phone chargers, etc. All staff members were very friendly and we really enjoyed sitting at the bar and talking with the bar tender and other patrons of the hotel. We did not get to enjoy the pool, but it looked very clean, no trash or leaves in it at all. The outdoor area was very relaxing also. It is conveniently located to everything. It is not on the riverwalk, but the riverwalk is just a short 9 mile trip away. I highly recommend this hotel and will stay at other Aloft hotels in the future.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 June 2010

The hotel has the best location if you're into shopping. Very convenient if you fly in and out of San Antonio airport. The room has a modern and chic look. However, even though we booked room with two queen beds, it's a pretty small room! The toilet door is a sliding type so it would make shutting loud noise if you give it a little pull or push. The staffs were friendly but not very attentive. It's over priced for what being offered.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2010

I don't get it. I have stayed at this hotel twice and both times the experience was not that great. The front desk has too much going on to be able to provide attention to individual requests. When I checked in, guy was on the phone trying to answer someone's questions and barely spoke to me while he processed me in and handed me the key without stopping his phone converstation. The room they gave me was bad because right over hotel entrance so they moved me no problem. When I checked out, they had charged me more for the different room. Front desk said the extra charge was put on my bill but then removed and they printed out a receipt to show me....but the charge was still there until a manager got involved and fixed it and removed the extra charge. Front desk cannot even read their own invoices. They also didnt pay attention to who was in line next and randomly chose people to help. Irritating and bad service, and I am not really a picky person. Both stays I will also say the guests were a bit rif-raffy in the lobby lounge. Maybe trashy locals or guests I don't know. I have also stayed at downtown Dallas Aloft and had bad service and rude managers there. This is supposed to be baby W but they get service help from Walmart. They have work to do in terms of service. I travel often and understand flexibility is needed because people can have a bad day or hotels can get a rotten employee. This brand seems to be lacking in the training and service department.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Staff is extremely nice and very helpful. Nice rooms, modern look but ... just doesn't cut it, not at the asking price. They are trying so hard to be shiek that they forgot usefulness. No ice machines, you have to get your ice from the bar or front desk and provide your own bucket. Maid service took our towels that were hung up to dry and didn't give us any in return. Sink is so shallow that water splashs everywhere. Bed takes up entire room, no usable seating except at the desk. The one chair in the room (at the desk) was broken and had to be replaced. They have bench seating but it is against a blank wall under the TV facing the bed. Bed was comfortable. Fitness Center and Lobby/Bar area were exceptionally nice.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2010

I loved everything about this hotel. As you walk in the door, the friendly staff greets you. Our rooms were very clean and the beds were AMAZING! It is close to everything and the price was good. Have already booked another stay!

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I was travelling with 2 teenagers for a volleyball tournament. I had booked a room with 2 queen beds to meet our needs through Travelocity on the 13th and check-in was the 16th. Upon arrival at 10 p.m. I was told by the front desk that our reservations had been cancelled! I called Travelocity - who still had my reservation confirmed but for some reason the hotel did not. The front desk was able to give me a room with a king size bed which of course did not meet our needs. I requested a discount due to our inconvenience, which I was told the front desk could not agree to that. After phone calls, arguing and complaining I reluctantly agreed to this room because at this point it was after midnight and the girls needed sleep. I was told they would provide an air mattress. After another hour of waiting for the mattress and some phone calls - one which I was told I would have to wait because they were busy downstairs - an employee came to my room with a comforter stating they did not have any air mattresses! Although very upset, we made the best of it and tried to sleep due to the early morning game. One of us spent the night on the floor with the comforter!!!! The following day I met with the manager. - Josh. He was unsympathetic to our situation. He felt that he did me a favor by giving me the king size bed. I told him I wanted compensated for the previous night's stay because one of us ended up sleeping on the floor. All he kept saying was that he was able to provide me with a room. I asked why my reservation was cancelled. He said he had no idea and the girl who did it was not available. I asked what he would do in my situation - his response "I would not book through a third party". I again wanted compensated for sleeping on the floor. He said that it was Travelocity's fault - even though the hotel is the one who cancelled. Travelocity's policy is cancellation is only through the customer or themselves and this was not the case. Also, upon check-in Travelocity STILL had my reservation confirmed. More phone calls were made and the only thing Josh the manager would do was provide me with a website to log my complaint.. Also, to rub salt in the wound, my daughter had forgotten her toothbrush. The hotel has them for sale and because of the weather conditions, I asked the front desk for one (Josh was working the desk at the time). He went to the cabinet to to retrieve one, he turned around and said to me "You are aware you will be charged for this?"!!!! Even after sleeping on the floor they could not "give" us a toothbrush!!!! Through further investigation, I found out the hotel had overbooked 12 rooms for that night. I WILL NOT stay at this hotel again and I would advise anyone who does to be sure your still have reservations prior to making the trip.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family