“Close to airport but somewhat lacking in staff service”

SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport
Ranked #148 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 29 February 2012

Arrival experience: Arrived late afternoon on a Sunday. Staff was lethargic and not typical Marriott quality. The clerk handling my check in did not seem familiar with Platinum Elite status.

Room (general): Typical Springhill Suites room with large flat screen TV and comfortable couch, and good desk. Microwave and refrigerator included in room. Separate toilet room from shower room.

Bathroom: We liked the separate toilet room from shower room because it gave us two sinks. Overall decently clean bathrooms.

Bed: Good bed.

Houskeeping: below average specifically because the carpet was stained

Restaurants: n/a but the free breakfast in the lobby was good.

Bar: n/a

Grounds: This is a city hotel near the airport, so there are no “grounds” to speak of except the parking lot.

Pool: we didn’t look at or use the pool but one is available

Staff attitude/service: Check in was a bit shaky as described earlier. But another front desk staffer provided us with a corkscrew and was friendly.

Perks for status: Had to prompt the clerk for Platinum gift

Parking: free parking

Misc: close to airport

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank utfiero

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Location- An obvious advantage to this hotel is it's location. It has easy, accessible entrances from Hwy 281 and Loop 410. It is a short drive to downtown SA.
It is across the SA International Airport, close to many restaurants and shopping centers.
Rooms: Rooms are nicely decorated . Many nice amenities like microwave, refrigerator, separate bath room and shower rooms. The rooms are very spacious with very nice decor.

Hotel/Staff: The hotel has an indoor pool, good selection on breakfast menu and hotel is well kept and clean. The staff is friendly and professional.
Overall would obviously recommend with 5 out of 5 rating.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jaceptx
Reviewed 12 February 2012

Customer service is terrible! Location is so noisy with planes & traffic. Breakfast was below average

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Joannspur1
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed here for a work trip and found it to be a very nice option - extremely close to the airport. It is new and well maintained. The room was spacious and having a separate desk and couch was convenient. The staff was very polite, professional and helpful. There is nothing within walking distance for food or shopping but there is a lot within a short drive. For what is it - a mid-range, basic hotel, close to the airport - it hits on all fronts. If I was coming for a vacation or weekend get-away I would want something in a little different setting.

Room Tip: My room faced the airport and I was not bothered at all by the noise. I'm not sure there is a g...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 January 2012

I've never stayed at a Springhill Suites. I was pleasantly surprised- especially at the size and design of the suites. Nice bed and bathroom with all the amenities for a business traveler who doesn't like to eat out any more than possible. Convenient to airport and my business sites. Breakfast was varied and good- one exception was the scrambled eggs- a bit dry- but there were plenty of other choices. Would recommend to friends, family, and associates.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 January 2012

I travel and stay at many hotels. This Springhill location is very well managed. The three days we stayed, the hotel was busy with kids and families in for a debate and also a volleyball tournament. The staff handled everyone well and kept the place clean even with a whole bunch of kids and teenagers making a mess at breakfast. If you have never stayed at a Springhill, you will find it is a little different in decor. But it is a great change and the rooms are in great shape along with the overall facility. I used my Marriott points to stay but the rates a guest would pay are well worth it. And, the staff knew their jobs and were very courteous. I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 January 2012

This is one of the new model SpringHill Suites, opened just three years ago. It is superbly run and very comfortable. Airport pickup is prompt and regular (I only waited 5 minutes at the airport). Front desk is very helpful and nice. The beds are quite comfortable. Breakfast was typical SpringHill Suites, which is substantial and sufficient. Do I wish the scrambled eggs were more like I get in Paris? Yes, of course, but they're edible and nutritious. So I throw some salsa and cheese on them and they're just fine. The oatmeal is made from scratch, and delicious.

And the value is great -- I paid $104 for my room. A great bargain! I can't wait to go back to San Antonio and stay at this place again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the airport.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
ttribby, Guest Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2012

We just wanted to take a moment to let you know how much we appreciate your business and positive comments. We really value you taking the time to let us know we're doing something right.

If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know. We would also like to know where we can find more great clients like you! It's customers like you that make this business worthwhile. Thanks again and we look forward to serving you in the future.