“Like low flying planes?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport

SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport
Ranked #153 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Bolingbrook, IL
“Like low flying planes?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was disappointed in this place. First, it was difficult to find. Address did not log into my GPS and I had to call the hotel for verbal directions. Even then we got lost, as this place is tucked under an off ramp of the highway near the airport. We had just come from staying at a Springhill Suite near the Riverwalk, so I was expecting a similar experience. Wrong. Planes were really flying low over this place and I was wondering how I would sleep. Turns out that planes stopped about 10:30 p.m. so sleeping was not a problem, but anyone who wants to turn in early would be in trouble. The room itself was not as nice as similar Springhills I have stayed in. The breakfast bar was also not as nice. No fruit and a slim selection of other things. I also saw a guest at the bar without shoes or sock on -- barefoot -- which I thought was disgusting -- and no one said anything. Not likely to stay here again. Fortunately most people stay here to just catch a plane, since ther is virtually nothing in the immediate area.

Room Tip: Not all Springhills are alike, but this one was not so hot. None of the rooms have any kind of sceni...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Virginia A
Jennifer C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel. I am deeply troubled to learn of your issues with our hotel. I have shared your comments regarding the directions and the breakfast with my associates and together we are making corrections to ensure future guests do not have the same issue. As for the airplane noise, this is a temporary issue as one of the runways at the airport is under construction. We hope to resume normal flight plans shortly, but in the mean time I appologize for the inconvenience. Thankfully it did not hinder your sleep. Lastly, I want to apologize for the impression we left as a proud member of the Marriott family and will certainly do everything we can to ensure our guests have an exceptional experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

I assumed this hotel would be great since I've stayed with this chain before. We arrived about 4:15 on Friday. We were told no rooms were clean. In fact, there were 2 families in front of us. We went out to dinner and returned later. It was a small problem and it was handled. Saturday everything was fine. Sunday, we came back about 8:00 and found our room had not been cleaned. We asked for some extra towels and prepared to deal with it (we knew there wouldn't be any housekeeping that late at night). About 9:00, we started smelling cigarette smoke in the room. It was coming from the vents in the bathroom (one room has a shower--another has the toilet). I immediately went down to the front desk. The clerk was very busy with people checking in and telling people there weren't any room available. I waited patiently and told him the situation. He said that there was no manager there right now and that he would pass the information onto the manger in the morning. He did absolutely nothing. We closed the doors to the bathroom and managed. We left as soon as possible in the morning. I mentioned the problem to the front desk clerk in the morning as I checked out. All I got was a "sorry." I expected better from SpringHill.

Room Tip: The pool is a joke--only about 6' wide.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank D L
It is truely disheartening that your stay was not what is what is expected of a Marriott property. I assure you that I will follow up with my housekeeping and front desk associates to make sure that this does not happen again an to make sure they are more attentive to our guest needs and requests. We appreciate you sharing your thoughts and concerns with us so that we can continue to improve and deliver exception service in the future. Please feel free to call me personally if you would like to discuss this further. I hope to see you again on future visits.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

I am surprised by the other negative reviews of this property. We stayed here for a volleyball tournament and found the property to be quite good. The room was very spacious and we were very happy to have the extra space with the sitting area/extra sleeping space. We were also very pleased with the kitchenette as the refrigerator and microwave made keeping snacks and water for tournament days very convenient. The beds were comfortable and our room was clean. I will agree with other reviews, however. The breakfast was quite nasty. Other than pre-packaged muffins and other baked goods or cook-on-demand waffles, there wasn't much. They offered some scrambled eggs and a cooked meat, but the eggs were the worst eggs I think I've ever tasted. The cooked meats (ham, bacon depending on the day) was overcook and dry. I've had far better breakfast at other Marriott properties, so this is definitely an area for improvement. I am a light sleeper, so this is usually an area of concern for me; however, I was not disturbed by the airplane noise.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jennifer C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. It is with this feedback that we are able to continuously make improvements. I was delighted to hear that the hotel accommodations were convenient and comfortable for you. I apologize that the breakfast was not up to what you have come to expect from Springhill and I will definitely re-evaluate and retrain that area so that future guests can have a more enjoyable experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.
Houston
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2014

Pro: Nice decor and the room was clean, the staff friendly, and location was good (more later) The bed was very comfortable and they provided plenty of pillows

Cons: The location is near the airport. In fact it is in the flight path of landing aircraft. All night long landing airplanes. I thought i would turn on the AC to provide white noise only to have the AC at start up starts banging and clattering. Total sleep time The breakfast was beyond bad. I do not expect gourmet food for free, but when i pass up bacon because it is more like leather then there is a problem.
PS I did not receive a check in gift. I saw the bags but i did not get one.

Room Tip: Stay on the opposite side of main entrance then maybe the you might be buffered from the planes
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Boogief
Jennifer C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 28 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel. I am so sorry that you found our location to be noisy. I assure you that we greatly appreciate our Marriott guests and hope to have the chance to prove that to you in the future. We recognize that you have a choice when visiting San Antonio and greatly appreciate you choosing to stay at Springhill Suites San Antonio Airport.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

Greeting at check in was nice with a gift bag of snacks and water. Parking is convenient. Airplane noise but that's to be expected with proximity to airport.

Grounds lobby and room was all clean and tidy.

Overall a good stay. I'd return.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for staying at the Springhill Suites Airport during your recent visit to San Antonio. We are grateful for your feedback, and thank you for taking the time to review your experience on TripAdvisor.

We hope to see you again soon!
Fort Worth, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

For a Marriott hotel I am completely disappointed. I will never stay here again. A fairly modern decorated hotel that the management has failed to maintain and/or clean. Room was dirty, breakfast was disgusting, treadmill squeaked, and don't even get me started about the elevator cleanliness (or lack there of). The staff seemed more worried about ordering their delivery than helping visitors. Skip this stay and go down the street to the Residence Inn!

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JulesBaum
Jennifer C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 14 March 2014
Thank you much for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay. I can certainly understand how disappointed you must have been after reading your comments regarding the cleanliness and customer service. I apologize that you did not have a more favorable experience during your stay with us. It is our goal to exceed your expectations and it is apparent that we failed to accomplish this during your stay. If you would be open to speaking with me regarding thisexperience, I can be reached at the number listed below.

Jennifer Claussen
210-804-2266
Simpsonville, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

In town for 4 nights for our daughter's graduation at Lackland AFB. Hotel location was good. Front desk staff was friendly. Room layout was great. Room cleanliness was completely lacking. It was obvious when we first walked in that the carpet had not been vacuumed. There was a rusty screw & toenails on the floor. Then we look in the bathroom to find that the soap & shampoo from the previous guests was still in the shower. The next day there was a filthy washcloth sitting on one of the beds. Our complaints to management were handled very professionally & we were compensated for our inconvenience. Hotel is nice overall. Just needs some serious refinement of the housekeeping team.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank devsmom73
Jennifer C, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this review, 22 January 2014
Thank you so much for staying at the Springhill Suites San Antonio Airport and taking the time to notify us of your recent stay. I can certainly understand how disappointed you must have been not having your room perfectly clean when you returned. I am glad to hear that management took care of your situation. We recognize that you have multiple choices when visiting San Antonio and greatly appreciate your choosing to stay at Springhill Airport. We hope to see you on your next visit to San Antonio.