“Running, Biking, Family time...”
Review of McAllister Park

McAllister Park
Ranked #91 of 266 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: An 865-acre park with hiking trails, camping sites and a lake for fishing.
Reynosa, Mexico
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Running, Biking, Family time...”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Excellent park!
For running, biking, spend a morning, afternoon with family.
I visited San Antonio this summer and planned ahead a run there. I kind got lost on the trail, although there are signs that tell you on which trail you are, for a out-of town/country visitor, I think there should be more signs or marked paths, I had to use my Nike+GPS app to returned to the point I started... if it wasn't for this I might be still there ... (kidding)
Also, a lot of sighting of deers, It seems they are so used to be around humans, I passed them very very close on my run, and they don't even blinked... (also kidding... they just stood there, close)

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Luis B

Highland Village, Texas
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Great for running!”
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Great park in the city for trail (mostly paved) running. Naturally shaded thru out, so good for those hot Summer runs!!!

The Woodlands
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A walk in the park”
Reviewed 11 March 2014 via mobile

My two kids, 12 and 7, and our 7 month old puppy had a great day at the dog park and walking paths.

A park "docent" was riding around on her bike helping lost or confused (that being us) people how to get around. Super helpful, gave us a map of hiking trails around San Antonio.

Walked a bike trail and found unique rocks and cactus growing in trees.

Great hiking area, easy to get to from about anywhere.

San Antonio, Texas
247 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 229 helpful votes
“Natural and clean”
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Have been to this park many times for different events with running and soccer. The park is set back from a busy street and has playgrounds, soccer fields, pavilions, bathrooms, picnic areas, and lots of paved walkways through natural areas. It is kept clean and usually people around.
If you are in the area and want to take a walk or just have a picnic, stop by and enjoy the area.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank LAH28
Corpus Christi, Texas
46 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“Park and Play”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

One sunny, chilly Monday morning last month (December 2013) my husband and I were in San Antonio with our granddaughter and we decided to take her to play at McAllister Park. The grounds were very well maintained, and the bathrooms clean. The playground equipment was in great shape, and our little one loved playing on everything. The only draw back, which was in no way the fault of the city, was a large group of unsupervised home schooled children that had taken over the playground by the exercise equipment (which was also in good shape). These children were totally out of control. I am in no way opposed to home schooling, as I am a former home educator. However, this group was something else! They are the type that gives home schooling a bad reputation. The mothers sat several yards away visiting under the pavilion area (that had numerous picnic tables), but not ONE of them were on the playground supervising. Our granddaughter, who loves being around other children, was ready to get away from these kids after about 10 minutes. Fearing for her safety we wanted to get her away from these kiddos as well.

Instead of just leaving the park we took her on the Orange Trail (there are several beautiful walking trails in the park). This trail was just over a mile, and we took our time. Our girl had a blast. We saw cardinals, mocking birds, different insects/crawly creatures, a rabbit or two, and a deer. The trail was well marked and smooth walking. By the time we arrived back at the park most of the afore mentioned group had departed and our little one, along with various others who waited for the playground to clear out, had a wonderful time.

My husband and I plan to return to San Antonio later this winter, on our own, to explore several of the other trails this park has to offer. Since there are scattered picnic tables throughout the vast grounds we will pack a picnic lunch for our outing. We are contemplating bringing our pup, so she can romp in the 'dog park' that is also included.

With the exception of the 'Wild Bunch' there is nothing negative we have to say about this park.

Visited December 2013