“Way past it's prime”
Review of The Fairmount

The Fairmount
Ranked #202 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 2 June 2013

History and nostalgia are worth something, but not much.

It's old, old, old. A/C didn't work in our room so had to move.

I wouldn't call it "dirty," it just feels that way because it is old and they haven't really updated anything.

I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Do not stay at this hotel. My boyfriend and I stayed one night for almost $300 and it was not worth $29. The room was covered in carpet stains, the wallpaper was taped together with scotch tape, the room was unclean, the bathroom door would not shut. Also the car was returned to us completely covered in bird feces. The hotel employee did not do anything to compensate for such a horrible experience. I have emailed the owner and will let you know if I hear back. I took pictures with my phone and sent them to the owner's email, but no reply yet.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Flowyfair
Reviewed 19 May 2013

...but needs some work. This is a small, boutique hotel, so don't expect a big, fancy chain. We had a great room - the nautical theme room - but a lot of the hotel is beginning to show some wear and tear. It has an interesting history, having been picked up and moved several blocks to its current location. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The location is great - right across the street from the convention center and an easy walk to downtown.

Room Tip: Look at the photos of the rooms on the web and request a specific room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I read a lot of online reviews and made our reservation online. Unfortunately my room did not look like one from all the pretty pictures here. It was dirty with very dirty carpets, sheets and drapes. The toilet wouldn't flush and the door wouldn't close. I was very disappointing that I shelled out 200$ for a very very bad room. Beware of online bookings, they don't do returns.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jordana C
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Great location. Staff was great. The Hotel has a piano in the lobby that my kids were thrilled to play. The suite was spacious but had an old musty smell. We liked the historic old charm of the hotel but I have to say if we were to visit San Antonio again I wouldn't stay here until they freshen up the rooms with new carpet/wall paper/paint .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 April 2013

This hotel was a real disappointment for our family trip. To be fair, I was expecting this to be a FairMONT (my husband booked it :)), so it was definitely a surprise when we checked in. The hotel is quite old and historic (it's even in the Guinness Book of World Records, which impressed my kids since we had just been to the Guinness Museum). Because I usually like old hotels with character, I really wanted to like this hotel. I did enjoy the quirky and mostly elegant common rooms where you could sit and have a drink or read a book.

Our room, however, was not great. The windows were small (understandable in an old building) but there was barely any lighting provided so at night it was almost impossible to read. The bathroom windows didn't open and there wasn't a fan so the bathroom got quite steamed up and was moldy around parts of the ceiling. In fact, the whole room smelled a bit musty (or like someone's grandma, as my tween daughter uncharitably described it). With better care and some thoughtful upgrading to wiring, lighting and bathrooms, this hotel could be a real gem. As is, it seemed to be sinking into inelegant disrepair.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 March 2013 via mobile

Oh, how I wanted to love this hotel! I thought that possibly some reviewers just had over-the-top expectations. But, if I'm honest, I must say that we were disappointed overall...

First, the Good- The Staff were absolutely Wonderful, we never had any problems with them. Check-in & Check-out were both very quick & easy. Upon check-in, we were given a choice of rooms, even though we had booked through a 3rd- party site. The valet was speedy, & everyone was always very pleasant. They did seem overworked though, at all times. Sad, but True...

The "In-Between" Points... The hotel itself is older & is showing its age. Carpets & Wallpaper are frayed & peeling, exterior could use some paint, & the baths could use a good re-caulking. Also, there was always a strange "food" smell throughout. I understand that an Italian Restaurant is in the same building, but it was very strong- always...

You must request ice- was fine 2x out of 3, but on a Friday afternoon we called the front desk for 45+ minutes & never got a response. So, no ice. That evening we came back late to a Wedding Reception being held in the Courtyard... A bit "unrelaxing" to say the least. Music ended at a decent hour for us, but those w/ kiddos might think otherwise...

Our biggest beef, however, was with the cleanliness. Just do yourself a favor & DON'T look behind the toilet! Dust Bunnies- Really?!? Also, we found a chewed dog bone tucked in a corner... We laughed, as we are dog owners (the pups stayed home this time), but it did make us question how well anyone had looked over the room since the last occupant. Also, as the Hubs said, the room was "Grandma Style". I thought it was charming, he felt that it was lame. Antiqued- Out & Frilly, to say the least. Oh- and the Icing on the Cake... No Hot Water AT ALL when we came back Saturday night (leaving Sunday). Called & talked to Front Desk, they were "on it", but didn't have anything until after 1:00 a.m. A Very Disappointing ending to our trip...

I really hope that someone can turn this place around. It's a BEAUTIFUL Property in a great Location & deserves better than what it is. So Much Potential, just waiting... Hope to see some Improvement... Otherwise, we will not be back...

• Stayed: March 2013