“Impressive”

The Fairmount
Ranked #168 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
“Impressive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2004

Stayed on Jan.11,2004 and was very impressed. Room was quite large, not to mention the huge balcony. More like an apartment. All the rooms are different though. I happened to stay in the one right above the front desk. Staff was kind. One of the nicest most spacious rooms I've ever stayed in.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2003

We just came back from a wonderful weekend stay at the Fairmount. After reading the review on this board, we were a bit apprehensive. The Fairmount is a small, botique-style hotel. I say botique-style and not botique because this hotel is old and traditional and does not have all the bells and whistles of the modern-day botique hotels. That does not mean that this is not a first-rate hotel however. It is rated four-diamonds by AAA and I think that is well deserved.

The staff at the front desk and valet were amazing. They were very helpful, always made sure we knew where we were going when we headed out and also made sure we had every amenity that we needed.

We are Wyndham ByRequest members and I think our room was upgraded a bit, but we did peak our heads into the standard rooms as well. We had a living room with a couch and two chairs which was separate from the bedroom. Although we requested a King, we got a room with two double beds. We did not ask to change and just kept the room we were assigned since it was such a lovely room. Standard rooms seem to have beds and a couch all in the same room, but the rooms themselves are very large.

Location-wise, the hotel is across the street from the Riverwalk. On a weekend night, you will welcome this short distance because the Riverwalk is where all the partying goes on and can be quite loud well into the night. We were not bothered by anything waking us up and could walk to anything downtown.

The room's standard amenities include a digital scale, shower-head massager with something like 7 settings, high-speed internet access and a cd-played/radio.

We loved this hotel and would definately consider staying there again.
The only reason we may not is to check out the St. Anthony, Wyndham's sister property or perhaps if for some reason we want to stay in a bigger hotel right in the mix of it all on the river.

• Stayed October 2003
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2003

The mandatory hotel vallet ($17 a night) wrecked my truck. The manager and district manager would not return my calls about it. The carpet floors were filty. My bare feet looked like I had been walking on blacktop all day. There are no soda or snack machines. If you want ice, you have to ask the front desk for it. Its really isolated from any attractions. I guess that sums it up. Please do youself and favor and stay somewhere else.

Still waiting for the managers to my return phone call, its only been 2 months! Maybe they're busy?

O. Rodriguez Rowlett, Tx.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these San Antonio hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2003

My room was so large, I had trouble sleeping. My sleep was also limited because of the loudness of the air conditioner, and the enormous blower outside my window. This is a renovated hotel, but there are too many things that have been left. The bathrooms are old-fashioned. They also boasted the new "wyndham customized" marketing campaign everywhere, but I didn't have a coffee maker or any of the requests that I have on my wyndham account. The hotel felt like an old un-lived in house and not very welcoming. I had cobwebs in my closets and didn't want to look under the bed!

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
south texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2003

First time visit to the Fairmount was excellent. The staff was very friendly and welcoming. Although I booked an oversized queen room, I was upgraded to the verandah suite! Very spacious living area, and beautiful canopy bed in the bedroom. The bathroom was marbled and very spacious. I ordered room service, which was delicious and delivered within the time stated. I am a member of the Wyndham ByReguest program which does afford the traveler "extra special" treatment. Anyone can join at no cost. They include a welcome amenity of your choice of snack and drink. For those who do not enjoy an "old" feel hotel, I recommend somewhere else. Great place!

3 Thank stxgirl5