“3 stars - Charming - Great Location”
Review of The Fairmount

The Fairmount
Ranked #199 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Personally, I rate this hotel a 3 star hotel not a 4. The Fairmount hotel is historic and pleasantly cozy, yet it left a lot to be desired. For starters, the hotel is need of renovations to freshen up its appeal. The room we booked was a Junior Suite. The room was a bit dingy and was not as clean as I would have preferred. There were also 2 bulbs out in the room. On the upside though, the room was bigger than I expected with a good view and I liked how there was a small separate living room area aside from the bedroom. In addition, the linens were of good quality, the bed was comfortable and very nice robes were available for use. The friendliness of the staff was decent. Though, in my opinion, there was really only 1 staff member (Derek) who provided hotel quality service and made my spouse and I feel welcomed. Overall, I think this hotel is really all about location. If you are looking for a historic hotel that is quiet, homely and is close to Hemisphere park or La Villita then this hotel may be a good fit for you. However, if you are wanting to be in the heart of downtown and are looking for a larger, more upscale hotel then I would consider booking at the St. Anthony hotel which is Wyndham hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 July 2013

This hotel could be a really good One, a bouquet hotel, BUT the room are old and need to be refreshed, sometimes repaired..
Amenities are of very good level: bathrobe, good linen, good bath products, mouthwash, no plastic glass or cup but real glass and pottery. Two LCD tv.
BUT thecurtains were broken and they couldn't be' closed, the light in the first room couldn't be switch on from the door.. we should have gone under the table to do it ( in the concierge opinion)..
The second concierge was kind (different from the first) and giving us his apologizes told us not to pay the valet ( 21 dollars)
Great position.
I'm sure they will get better..

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2013

History and nostalgia are worth something, but not much.

It's old, old, old. A/C didn't work in our room so had to move.

I wouldn't call it "dirty," it just feels that way because it is old and they haven't really updated anything.

I won't stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Do not stay at this hotel. My boyfriend and I stayed one night for almost $300 and it was not worth $29. The room was covered in carpet stains, the wallpaper was taped together with scotch tape, the room was unclean, the bathroom door would not shut. Also the car was returned to us completely covered in bird feces. The hotel employee did not do anything to compensate for such a horrible experience. I have emailed the owner and will let you know if I hear back. I took pictures with my phone and sent them to the owner's email, but no reply yet.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Flowyfair
Reviewed 19 May 2013

...but needs some work. This is a small, boutique hotel, so don't expect a big, fancy chain. We had a great room - the nautical theme room - but a lot of the hotel is beginning to show some wear and tear. It has an interesting history, having been picked up and moved several blocks to its current location. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The location is great - right across the street from the convention center and an easy walk to downtown.

Room Tip: Look at the photos of the rooms on the web and request a specific room.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2013

I read a lot of online reviews and made our reservation online. Unfortunately my room did not look like one from all the pretty pictures here. It was dirty with very dirty carpets, sheets and drapes. The toilet wouldn't flush and the door wouldn't close. I was very disappointing that I shelled out 200$ for a very very bad room. Beware of online bookings, they don't do returns.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jordana C
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Great location. Staff was great. The Hotel has a piano in the lobby that my kids were thrilled to play. The suite was spacious but had an old musty smell. We liked the historic old charm of the hotel but I have to say if we were to visit San Antonio again I wouldn't stay here until they freshen up the rooms with new carpet/wall paper/paint .

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family