“Good Hotel In Downtown San Antonio” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton

The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #27 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Winston Salem, North Carolina
“Good Hotel In Downtown San Antonio”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

Spent a night in the Emily Morgan last week. The hotel has a good location next door to the Alamo. It is short 3 to 5 minute walk to the Riverwalk. The hotel is a renovated, Art Deco building with lots of character. Service was good. I was greeted with a chocolate chip cookie and a painless check in. A nice touch that's appreciated when you've been traveling for six hours or so! Checkout was automatic and smooth too. Room was modern and comfortable. Had a business meeting in the hotel and lunch the following day, both worked out well. Would stay here again.

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Lakeway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I booked this hotel for my Husband's Birthday weekend. We arrived about 9 pm Friday night, in the rain, and pulled up to the Valet. There were 3 valets standing there WATCHING my husband and I get our 4 bags out of the car IN THE RAIN, when they stayed under the cover. Once in the hotel we check in and they were out of cookie's, which they are known for. We get up to our room and the room was very pretty with a great view of the Alamo. It was plenty big and nicely decorated. WELL, that is until we get into the Bathroom. It was a nice Garden tub BUT the panels on the side of the tub were on with TAPE, TAPE guys. One had already fell off and we put it back, through out the night they both kept falling off so we just kept them off. Therefore you could see under the tub...GROSS and creepy.
We went to bed in a comfortable bed but HORRIBLE pillows. There were the " flat tire pillows" where the second you put your head on them they go flat. Our A/C didn't work well so the first night was miserable and sweaty. We had to set the unit on 45 degrees just to keep the hotel at a decent temp the whole time we were there. Every time to A/C would come on it would make this horrible LOUD noise and wake you up. EVERY TIME. Friday night the storm got really bad and rained the first part of Saturday and they have Satellite T/V so guess what. We didn't have ANY TV because the storm had knocked it out. SO we were bored for several hours until it slowed down.

We decide to go out for a late breakfast Saturday morning, We call down to Valet and ask for our car. We arrive downstairs about 10 minutes later to NO car. They don't know where it is. REALLY?!! " YOU LOST MY CAR?!" the valets answer " No, we just lost the keys." REALLY guy?! Because that is SO much better. So After they had my husband go through all the keys they had we found the keys and they brought the car around.

We come back and drop the car back off and they guy states " You can keep the same Valet number" okay. we go and enjoy San Antonio.
Sunday when we go to check out we call Valet to get our car and start to head out. The elevators are BROKEN. Only one is working and there is a line to get on. OMG AND the Stairs are for emergency ONLY. We had to wait 15 minutes to get to an elevator THEN to find out since we were on the 7th floor other people, of course were on it as well, us AND our luggage would not all fit on it. We got passed up 3 times because they were SO full.

We finally get down stairs after a 30 minute ordeal to find our car not waiting on us. We ask and they tell us, they are getting it. We watch SEVERAL people walk up and give there tickets to Valet and get there car.... we called down AHEAD of time 30 minutes ago....... only to find out OMG they lost my car AGAIN!!!! We had manager after manager...... One Valet said" I know where your car is." and ran off... Thinking the kid was getting it right.... NOPE. He was just letting them know he knew where it was..OMG come on. after about a total 45 minutes we get our car. They parked it in the wrong spot. All of this for a DAILY $28 charge for Valet...

NEVER COME HERE. HORRIBLE, CARELESS, AND UN-ORGANIZED.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Courtney M
Julie N, Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 29 May 2013
Dear Courtney M.
We are so sorry to hear that your stay with us was so unpleasant. Unfortunately San Antonio experienced terrible storms that night; a record of 10 inches of rain in one night! It knocked out our cable and power in one of the elevators. The valet issues we take very seriously and I would like to see who you reported these problems to at the hotel. I am going to send you my contact phone and email so you can reach me personally. Again, I am so sorry for the problems that arose during your stay.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

We stayed at the Emily Morgan Hotel May 20-May 22 for a business conference. We traveled with two dogs. The staff was great (Jenna and Angel at the front desk, Aiden and Nick at the Valet). This Hotel is extremely dog friendly! They were welcomed everywhere except the pool and the restaurant. Our room was large, confortable, and very clean. Tip for those traveling with a dog: There is an area by the Crocket Hotel where your dog can do his business. Diamond members: We received free internet access, coupon for breakfast each morning and a room upgrade.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Richland, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

My adult son and I stayed two nights (two rooms/night) in early May. We actually checked in a day early and thought about asking to just switch our nights but decided to honor the reservation and add the earlier night. We were met enthusiastically by the valet staff however by the time we completed the check-in process there was not a valet to be found. We stood for several minutes before someone showed up (we had to ask the desk to find a valet) to park our car ($30/night, whoa!). The check-in desk seemed frustrated that we were arriving a day early and were hoping for rooms with a view. First they sent us to the second floor and we had a great view of the swimming pool and sunbathers directly outside our windows (no privacy for them or us) and then we asked if anything else was available and were given rooms on the seventh floor with great views of the parking lot. The good news is that the rooms were next door to one another; the rooms were very clean and comfortable. After an evening of sightseeing we opted for a drink in the lounge; the bar staff was friendly and welcoming but no where to be found when it was time to get the bill and sign for it. Off we went to the hotel desk again to ask if someone in the bar would like our money! Check-out was smooth until we went to valet and had to wait nearly 30 minutes to get our car; actually the hotel maid had thrown out our valet ticket so there was an extra little snag to pick up our car (good double-check security system though.) All in all the Emily Morgan is a beautiful historic hotel, great location across the street from the Alamo, but it was lacking in service and friendliness on the two nights we stayed. After spending $700 for a total of four rooms I wish I'd taken my money to a different Hilton location because this one didn't quite live up to the standard. Yes, there were chocolate chips cookies waiting upon check-in but despite the Hilton signage saying they "give away" the cookies I don't believe it; you are paying for them one way or another.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor with a view of the Alamo.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank leawatkins
Julie N, Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 24 May 2013
Dear leawatkins,
I want to apologize for the mishaps you had on your visit here to the Emily Morgan, we pride ourselves on being consistent and making every part of the stay enjoyable and memorable and it looks like we missed several times during your stay, especially when you decided to come a day early. I am working with all the levels of staff on the snags you encountered while here. Thank you for your comments, as we need to know so we can fix them. I will reach out to you via a private message with my direct email and phone number so that we can make this right. Thank you again for staying and sharing your insights. We hope that you will give us another chance.
Marble Falls, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

Great hotel near everything, quite rooms, wonderful staff, easy access to Alamo, the Mall, Riverwalk. Food was okay, limited menu for dinner/lunch, but cost was fair for upscale hotel. Nice spa and pool. Easy parking via the valet.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Akron, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly located to the Alamo, eating, shopping and walking on the Riverwalk! We were given a room on the 14th floor overlooking the Alamo. The room had high ceilings, beautiful furnishings and a spacious bathroom with a soaking tub. The comfort of the bed and linens made sleep a dream! We hope to return soon. The staff we encountered did their best to make all our wishes come true. A very enjoyable and relaxing stay.

Did I mention the free chocolate chip cookies daily??? Yummy!

Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

I travel to San Antonio frequently for business and this is the first time I've stayed at this hotel.

I really liked this hotel. This is an old building going back to the 1920's. The hotel has been maintained extremely well. The lobby, hallways, elevator, and my room were all very clean, appeared to be freshly (and tastefully) painted, and had new flooring (carpeting/tile). I stayed on the 12th floor and my view overlooked the Alamo. I was behind on some work when I checked-in so I ordered room service for lunch. The excellent fish taco's and great service made the afternoon go a little easier.

Everyone from the car valet to the front desk staff provide excellent service during my stay.

The hotel is not on the riverwalk, but it's only about a 5-10 minute walk.

In the past I have stayed at the Hilton on the riverwalk and the Marriott Conference Center. I rate this hotel better than both of those and I plan to stay here again next month.

The room I stayed in was a "larger room" with a vaulted ceiling and it was a very nice room. I don't know how some of the "smaller" rooms compare.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business