“A-list experience, A(lamo) could not be closer”

The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #28 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
New Orleans
“A-list experience, A(lamo) could not be closer”
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The Emily Morgan was a last minute reservation from the smartphone on a San Antonio one night visit.

This is an historic property, 14 (+/-) stories high with a beautiful facade. Immediately adjacent to the Alamo, it was built before height limitations pushed the newer, glitzier modern hotels and towers to build further out where they would not cast a shadow or otherwise affect the Alamo's visuals (which they do, anyway, despite being several blocks away). Somehow the Emily Morgan belongs, an elegant triangular Flatiron-style structure that casts its own shadow harmlessly northward, away from the Alamo.

Decor in lobby, rooms, and hallways is attractive, a vaguely modernist theme done in dark earth tones that makes for a restful experience after a day of driving through bright Texas sun. Service at the desk and bar was friendly and attentive.

The hotel offers valet parking for $28. Another option is to pay the $10/day parking in the local lots dotting the immediate Alamo neighborhood. If you choose this, be sure to be out at the 07:00 expiration time to re-up or move the car. The lot agents are out there waiting for you to forget. There's a six or eight car strip of free onstreet parking on the same block as the hotel, and it appears to be the only non-metered street parking for blocks. These spots are almost always taken. (Almost--we did get one at 7 am).

The small pool has two crane-like chairs for wheelchair-bound customers who want to take a dip in the waters. The chairs were also popular with visiting church youth. On our visit, the pool closed at dusk because of a burned out light. That was the only problem we encountered, but a major disappointment to the youngest member of our party. (Fortunately, she got to swim the next morning.)

The hotel has two elevators that can be busy at times. There's an old Cutler mail chute that's well-preserved (but alas, judging from unlocked box in the basement, no longer in service). Older travelers can while away the elevator wait by trying to remember the last time they saw a real piece of mail shoot past behind the glass. Younger travelers can stare at the chute and consider themselves lucky that the Emily Morgan hotel does charge an obscene extra per-device wi-fi fee that's unfortunately typical of downtown five star hotels.

The upper floors offer rooms with vistas across the Alamo or toward the west over the heart of San Antonio. The west-facing upper floor rooms can bear witness to some spectacular sunsets. Other rooms on the pool side face east and north (and the other half of the tower).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Whittaker, United States
Reviewed 2 July 2013

Hotel ok but watch out for bait and switch tactic with reservation by Internet. We reserved at one price by Internet and once we arrived, we were told they were booked. We then found a room at the same hotel by internet for much more money. It felt like a "bait and switch" tactic.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Jaye P
Julie N, Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 29 July 2013
Dear Jaye P,
We spoke personally about your specific situation that occurred at check in. I assure you that there was no tactic used, you had a reservation for later that week that we could not change, but we did offer a room at the prevailing rate for the day. The rates were different as one was for the weekend and hotel rates contantly flucuate with the market. I deeply apologize that you feel this way and if you need further explanation, please contact me, I will send you my number in a private message.
Spring, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Comfortable, spacious room, and friendly staff! Not to mention the AMAZING location and view of the Alamo, just a block away from riverwalk, and basically in the heart of the all the fun! Also my family and I loved the pool! Would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: I had a corner room, it had a cute sofa in it, and two views!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 30 June 2013

Due to an unfortunate situation involving our main sewer pipe breaking, hubby and I spent the night in this hotel for a local break. I'd driven past, and heard about, this place since moving here to San Antonio two years ago. Lovely! Our room was very very clean, elegantly decorated in a contemporary/Asian/Mission style manner. Huge sliding doors led into the bathroom, which was outfitted the way I'd do my own if I had the money. Rumor has it that this hotel is haunted, but we had a wonderful night's sleep. Right across the street from the Alamo, in the heart of everything downtown San Antonio offers. Nearby the soon-to-be-open Tobin Fine Arts Center. Stay here if you can, the staff is wonderful and everything is top notch. Almost made me sorry when my plumbing was fixed!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Richmond, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2013

The hotel was great, staff was very helpful in trying to help us locate parking if we didnt want to valet. Size of room was a bit cozy. Location is awesome, right next to the alamo, less than 1 block from the Riverwalk. Right behind the Ripleys.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends

Kentucky
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My son attended a convention there June 24-24 so we were booked at the Emily Morgan. I cannot say enough about the hospitality of the staff. The rooms were terrific. My son left his brand new laptop in the taxi on our way to the airport. The cab driver returned it to the hotel where an employee personally drove it over to my sister in law at another hotel for her to bring home.....WHAT SERVICE!!

Room Tip: Our room was on the side of the Alamo so it was sweet to see the carriages at night.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank avpkathy
Wilmore, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 June 2013

My over-all experience with HHonors has been with the Hampton Inn chain and I was looking forward to the same wonderful treatment but was very disappointed. At check-in, I had to point out that I was a HHonors member and later ask if they had any cookies. Even though I made a reservation in advance, and requested an Alamo view, I discovered once at the room that I was not given it. There was a very loud, crying child in the room next door and although I went downstairs to request a room change, the staff looked blankly at me before refusing and instead suggested they could tell the family next to me to quiet down or else leave! (This seemed very illogical to me!) The next morning when I noticed that the night latch was broken, they "magically" found another room to move me to immediately. Guests of our same conference who arrived a day later where given Alamo rooms even though they did not request it. One morning I asked about the possibility of cots or roll-aways being added to one of the rooms and was given a blank look and then told there were none available. On a hunch, I contacted one of the men in our party and asked him to make the same request and it was granted.... I was very disappointed in the cost of my stay and regretted that I had chosen the historic Double Tree close to the Alamo over the Hampton Inn where I could have had a free breakfast, quieter rooms, nicer pool, Hot Chocolate and tea whenever I chose, decent room layout (instead of non-private see-through sliding bathroom doors that miserably lit up the room whenever anyone else in the party had to go to the bathroom!), 100% Satisfaction,.....and saved myself at least $50 a night!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business