“Beautiful Property, Friendly Staff, Perfect Location”

The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton
Ranked #27 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Beautiful Property, Friendly Staff, Perfect Location”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

If you are looking to hang out and relax at your hotel for a few days, then this is probably not the hotel for you. The rooms are very small and the lobby is always very busy. If you are looking for a hotel with a great staff, clean beautiful rooms, and access to most everything in San Antonio, then this is an absolutely lovely hotel. They do spray a strong smell into the rooms so make sure. I loved it but if you are sensitive to smells make sure you ask for them to not spray your room before check in.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
dallas, tx, United States
Reviewed 20 July 2014

is a great place for to stay quiet....i will to come back again. close to the alamo and the tower of the america, close to downtown san antonio, is a great building.. we was in the 14 floor and is a awesome the view of the city.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

A few smaller issues... when I checked in the elevators were down requiring everyone to use service elevator. The wait for this elevator was very long. Next, upon arrival to guest room for first time my room smelled like the swimming pool. I was not in room much, but I called to mention concern and the operator told me it did not smell and never offered to do anything like move me or have someone refresh room. By the time I came back late at night I was to tired to care. The next day the smell was gone possibly because I got used to it or housekeeper took care of it. Also there was a light out in restroom. I called and they had that fixed quickly. Perhaps the room had been vacant for a while as even temperature in room when I first got there was on high side. I would definitely stay here again, but would ask for a room not next to a stairwell and not right above the swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank dubelaw
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 16 July 2014

The Emily Morgan is situated in an ideal location, literally across the street from Alamo Plaza. All things tourist in downtown San Antonio are within walking distance. What drew me to this hotel, though, was the historic building (said to be haunted!) which was for many years The Medical Arts Building. The preservation of this building, as well as the modernization, is superb. Many historical elements of the building are in tact, while all of the modern conveniences we come to expect are present as well. I love the modern decor, the details, extra touches found throughout the hotel. My room, on the 5th floor, unfortunately had an interior view--the building itself is a V-shape; my room faced the interior of the V and my view was of the other side of the building and down to the hotel pool. I had hoped for a better view of downtown, but I didn't know to ask for an exterior room when I made the reservation. The pool is located on the 2nd floor and appeared very inviting from my window, though I didn't come prepared for a swim. One of the drawbacks of my stay was the very loud and consistent stream of children in the pool until the late hours. The noise easily traveled up to the 5th floor as if they were right outside my window. This was annoying, but was not so bad that I wished for a different room. The room itself was perfect for me. Not very large, but plenty of room for a business traveler, and even had a cute settee under the window. The decor was very nice, the bed extremely comfortable, and the bathroom small, but luxurious. The two issues which kept me from giving this hotel 5 stars were: 1.) The valet parking. It was not clear where to go when I pulled up to the vicinity of the hotel due to the number of cars lined up. Were they in line? Were they parked? I had to circle the block a couple of times until the crowd of cars dissipated and I could see where to go. The valet asked me if I wanted to valet park. I asked him if there was an alternative. He sheepishly smiled, as if to say, "there is, but I'm not supposed to tell you," then said there are parking lots close by, but they are more expensive than the hotel's valet. At $28/night, I doubt it. But I wasn't going to go searching for a less expensive parking spot after dark. The valets were all friendly and helpful, but I'm still having a hard time swallowing that price. It's a nice hotel, but it's not the Four Seasons. 2.) Coffee. On my first night I filled out the card for breakfast room service, because there is no coffee shop in the hotel and I did not think there was an alternative. I mostly just want coffee in the morning, with maybe a piece of fruit. I went with the least expensive option of coffee, juice, cereal, a fruit and a bread for $11.25. After all of the room service charges, it was over $16. I was very surprised that the coffee was literally a cup of coffee. I usually see a carafe of coffee with room service. I felt like I was drinking a $16 cup of coffee. But the Cheerios and banana and wheat toast were fine. Then when I left the hotel an hour later, I was very surprised to see coffee, breakfast breads, pastries and fruit all lined up at the hotel bar. For $3, I could have gotten a larger to-go cup of coffee! Had I known this was going to be there, I would have been much happier. I have no idea why I was not informed of this option at check-in. All in all, I like this hotel and would stay here again, but I would first do my research on parking, I would spend $3 on coffee instead of $16, and I would ask for an exterior room.

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room. That way you'll have a view of the city and you won't get the pool...
1 Thank amytyler18
carthage, United States
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Staying at the Emily Morgan hotel was awesome!!! Our room was beautiful, spacious and perfect location, overlooking the Alamo!!! The staff was very friendly, and eager to help with directions, information, or requests, and always cheerful. Upon our arrival, my 6 year old grandson said,"I love this hotel, every thing is gold and it smells good!"

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Shirley D
Julie N, Manager at The Emily Morgan Hotel - a DoubleTree by Hilton, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Shirley D,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We will share your comments with our team; it is our goal to be as attentive and helpful as possible. Tell your grandson we appreciate his awesome observations as well. Please come see us again soon!
Copperas Cove, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Hi, I was in town for a overnighter, 2-day business trip. Had to book spur of the moment, which was very easy. I was able to use my military government ID for a better rate, always a plus! The staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. The room was great. Thanks!

Seattle
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Rooms were great, big tubs made a difference, open floor plans, very roomy, hotel ammenities a pricey, parking impossible and pricey, great location (heart of riverwalk), alternatives to sticker shock are all around

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple