“family trip for our son's graduation”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Lackland Hotel & Suites
Ranked #4 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Westfield Mass, United States
“family trip for our son's graduation”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The hotel was awesome. Staff was wonderful and very helpful. It was drive a short drive to Lackland AFB. We had 6 family members with us and we had 3 rooms. The staff made sure we were all on the same floor! It made our son's graduation a memory we will never forget by having such good accomadations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

1 Thank Kathleen S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Excellent hotel experience. Shannon and Michael were a wealth of knowledge about BMT graduation facts and great places to eat. The breakfast bar opening early to cater to BMT event times is a wonderful thing this hotel does. Close and convenient to Lackland AFB gate for graduations.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Kutztown
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This hotel is about a 5 minute drive from the Valley-Hi gate which is very near the new reception center. Go through the gate go straight thru the light and you are there. It was very convenient and the staff was super friendly. We had plenty of room for our airman to crash for the day. I would highly recommend it if staying off base.

Oklahoma City
Reviewed 2 August 2014

The hotel is very nice and clean. We stayed here 3 nights Jul 28-31st.

Hotel Location:
The hotel is very secluded and there is nothing around the hotel at all. This is a very quiet, peaceful and safe area. I really liked this because some hotels have so many business around them you don’t always feel safe in the parking lot. This hotel gives you a safe feeling since you are in the middle of nowhere and you are not right off the main highway were bad things tend to happen. It is close to the military base and I know that is why many people choose this place. They do a great job catering to us military people and they offer a good military rate.

Check-in:
The check-in process was simple and the lady was very friendly. I did not have any issues at all.

Lobby:
The lobby was nice and clean.

Room:
The room was nice and met all of our needs. The bed was comfortable but the pillows lacked support. There were a lot of channels available on TV so that was nice. The bathroom was clean and worked out fine for us. I do wish the sink area was separate from the shower/toilet area. Everything was clean and there was plenty of room for all of us. The best part of the room was how quiet it was. I did not hear any noises from outside, the hallway or other rooms.

Pool/Jacuzzi:
I picked this hotel because of the indoor pool/jacuzzi. The pool area was very nice and clean.

Breakfast:
The buffet area was clean and roomy. The hot food was not that great but we were very happy they had hot food to choose from. The waffles ended up being the best hot food choice for us. They had a good selection of cold food choices to include breads, pastries, cereal, fruit and yogurt.

Extras:
One of the staff members at the front desk helped with recommending a restaurant. We took his advice and the restaurant was very good. I thanked him when we returned. I normally use Urbanspoon to help me decide what to eat in a new location but I decided to take a chance and ask the front desk. I am glad I did because the restaurant was very good.

Check Out:
The check-out went great. There were no lines and the lady was very nice.

Overall:
My overall stay was very good. The staff was very nice. The hotel is very clean and that is very important. It turned out to be a good choice for the price, indoor pool and continental breakfast. Overall I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have never given a one star review and it hurts me to do it for this hotel because the workers were very helpful and polite, but there were two many negatives. We stayed at the hotel for my brothers graduation from Lackland AFB, so my wife and I stayed in one room and my parents on the floor below. The first morning we were there my parents went to get breakfast downstairs and as the door opened a young woman yelled at a gentleman on the elevator and threw hot water on him, hitting my mother and father. The man jumped off the elevator and attacked a random woman who was standing nearby and had nothing to do with the altercation. Employees and guest jumped in, but the man fought them off and started throwing vases from the lobby and smashing the place up. By the time police arrived the man was gone and they interviewed the family but during our stay the man was not caught. Besides this unusual event II would like to discuss is the noise. The room we stayed in was on the third floor and every time someone flushed or closed a door it was very loud and often woke me and my wife. There was also a family above us and we believe that they had a small child because they were constantly running back and forth. There was also one family who let their children run wild and we could often here them running down the halls. The breakfast was ok, I understand that breakfast at hotels are not usually something to write home about and I usually give them a pass, but it was not comparable to Hampton Inn or the Drury which we stayed in on the way to San Antonio. The Wi-Fi in our room was also very weak and it seemed as we got further from the front desk it got worse. My parents who were closer to the lobby end of the hotel seemed to have a stronger signal, but we had problems connecting to Facebook or email. As I stated the workers were very helpful. They were very knowledgeable about the area including the AFB graduation and gave some great suggestions for dinners. The hotel is convenient for getting back and forth to the base and the rate was more than reasonable, so it was not totally bad, but the negatives far outweighed the positives. I know that the fight was not the fault of the hotel and it is hard to make sure every guest is quiet, but the construction of this hotel seems to lend itself to being noisy. We have stayed at several Best Western and while those employees were not as nice the hotel was much quieter.

Room Tip: Get room on top floor, near the lobby to ensure good Wi-Fi connection and less noise
1 Thank Dan21021
lamas1, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Lackland Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Thank you for bringing these other matters to my attention. On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations. Your satisfaction is important to us and we will be using the feedback you gave us to implement improvements to ensure we offer a better experience for guests in the future.

We deeply regret that your visit was not as you had anticipated it to be. As you are aware, regretfully there was a personal isolated incident between two guests of the hotel this past weekend that took part in the public area of the hotel and unfortunately was thus witnessed and experienced by many other patrons before the situation was quickly diffused by our staff and security team. The guests in question were then escorted from the property without further incident by our staff and did not return to the hotel. It is very understandable that your parents were very shaken by the incident, and if they have any further concerns I welcome them contacting me personally to discuss them.

As for the as we are close to both Lackland AFB and Seaworld, we do attract a lot of families over the course of the year. It is very unfortunate that there were some exuberant children whose parents were not aware of how their party was negatively affecting other guests. As soon as our staff is made aware of these types of situations we always strive to act quickly to end any disruptions. I hope you were in contact with the front desk to make them aware of this inconvenience, and they were able to deal with the situation appropriately in a timely manner.

I am very pleased that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay, including our location and staff. Our team holds themselves to a high standard and they work very hard to ensure each and every guest visiting with us is given top notch customer service, and experiences San Antonio and the surrounding area with as much easy and comfort as possible. I will be sure to pass your compliments on their performance on to them.

If your travels return you to San Antonio, I hope you will consider staying with us again so we can extend excellent hospitality to you and your family.

Amado Lamas
Operations Manager
United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Literally right up the street from Lackland AFB. Very nice hotel in a pretty decent area. The rooms were clean and pretty modern. The breakfast that's included was pretty good with a lot more food variety than I thought there would be. The only negative is it's the exact same thing every day so we got a little tired of it after staying for five nights. Nevertheless it was pretty good food and it was included so that saved us some money. We had an issue with our toilet but maintenance came up right away and fixed it. The staff was friendly and courteous. Nice play to stay--I would recommend it especially if you're going to Lackland.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

I am very pleased to hear about your repeated excellent experiences at our hotel, and very much appreciate you taking the time to let us and future guests know about your stays. We look forward to seeing your family again whenever your travels bring you back to San Antonio!

Amado Lamas
Operations Manager
Baytown, United States
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We love this hotel. The staff is always friendly and helpful. The breakfast is plentiful and starts the day off well. The location is central enough for us to get to Sea World, the alamo, and plenty of restaurants nearby. The pool is so nice to relax in the evenings. My boys request this hotel when we go to San Antonio.