“Very enjoyable meal”

Il Sogno Osteria
Ranked #186 of 4,625 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Midtown
VA
“Very enjoyable meal”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is one of several good restaurants located in the Pearl Brewery area recommended by our daughter-in-law'suncle who lives in San Antonio. It is not the typical spaghetti and meatballs type of place. They do have pasta, but these pasta dishes have more interesting sauces and fillings. The kitchen is open, and it is fun to watch the food preparation while waiting to be seated. The service is excellent, and we enjoyed everything we got. Their desserts are made in-house also. The restaurant is not large, so it is best to make a reservation even on a weekday. We were there on a Thursday evening, and when we were leaving the lobby was filled with people waiting for a table.

• Visited February 2014

San Antonio, Texas
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just OK ... Questionable Sanitation Practices”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I just finished dining here for the third time; since they first opened. I decided to give it one last try. I'm on a low-carb Gluten-Free diet; so I had to choose carefully. I ordered the whole Bronzino with braised vegetables. It had decent flavor ; but the vegetables were limited to a few strands of thinly julienned squash plus a variety of mushrooms (which I consider to be fungi, not vegetables).

I'm glad that I know how to debone a fish; because I witnessed what I assume to have been the Manager on duty performing that task for someone else. This was done at the service counter, not table side; so I doubt the guests eventually eating the fish witnessed his method. Instead of utilizing a fish fork and knife; he used a knife and his bare hands to pick through the fish for several minutes.

I was once in the restaurant industry & was qualified to teach food service sanitation; so I know what I am talking about. At a minimum, latex, vinyl or nitrile gloves should have been worn while he used his fingertips to pick out loose bones. You don't use your bare hands to invasively pick through someones prepared meal.

While the angle wasn't great, I did capture a short video of the de-boning process. (Don't think I can upload video to Trip Advisor, just photos...).

Moving on; aside from the previously mentioned items that accompanied my entree; something not mentioned on the menu was served as well; a large dish of pasta. This wasn't exactly compatible with my low-carb gluten free diet. Had I known about it; I would have asked if I could substitute a green vegetable or something. Worst case, I would have simply instructed the waiter to not bring it to the table & have it go to waste.

To drink with my meal; I chose to go with a simple glass of iced tea. When the server inquired what sweetener, if any, I would prefer; I answered "sweet-n-low". He acknowledged my request and went off to put in my order & grab my tea. When the tea came to the table; the waiter brought along a plate with three small bowls of sweetener options. One was mixed white and natural sugar cubed, one looked like a mix of turbinad, white and a bit of artificially colored sugar granuals and the third looked like plain white sugar. When I asked about the sweet-N-Low, he pointed to the bowl that appeared to be standard granulated sugar. Doubting the accuracy of the waiter's statement; I test-tasted just a dew granuals and immediately knew that it was not saccharin; but granulated sugar. Since the waiter had already left the table; I proceeded to ask a passing waitress if it was possible to get some sweet-n-low. She regretfully informed me that the only no/low calorie sweetener that they served was stevia. I'm not a big fan of stevia; so I dug into an emergency stash of Sweet-n-low that I keep in a side compartment of my wallet. 2 packets for 2 glasses of tea.

This may sound a bit nit-picky; but being informed that white sugar is actually artificial sweetener can be somewhat dangerous. For me, it would have simply screwed up my diet & efforts to lose weight; but if I had been diabetic & unknowingly ingested refined sugar...who knows. Regardless; the waiter should have known better.

Despite the fact that I had informed my waiter of my diatary restrictions; he did choose to bring me a dessert menu at the end of my meal. (Nothing on it could have ever been considered a candidate for consumption on a low-carb, gluten free diet.

Despite the high praise that I keep hearing/reading for this place; I have no desire to ever return. There is far better food avalable at a more reasonable price and certainly served in a more professional manner, throughout San Antonio.

• Visited February 2014
Chattanooga
“Best Italian anywhere”
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I visited for lunch and found this little restaurant to be one of the best Italian places anywhere. The antipasto bar had many wonderful choices, and the entrees were fabulous.

What struck me was the quality of the shrimp. They were as fresh as anything I have ever gotten seaside. Moreover, they were cooked to bring out their natural flavor, not to cover it up. Given that I had a creme sauce, that is a hard balance to strike, but the chef did an exceptional job.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank TNTROUTTHNTR
Boerne, Texas, USA
“Always Fantastic”
Reviewed 28 January 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Always top notch Italian food from the water with choices of citrus slices to the yummy desserts, there is nary a misstep with this restaurant.

Visited December 2013
Texas
“EXCELLENT FOOD & SERVICE”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We will be back! It was the first time for 3 of the people in our party to eat here. They loved it!!

• Visited January 2014