“Terrible Service”

Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Please, do not go to this restaurants. Although all advertising mentioned that it is an excellent place, the service is terrible. The waiter was so rude and ignorant, as well as complete lazy.
We were celebrating something very special with our daughter, and unfortunately it was a complete waist of time and money. We are very disappointed.
The worst service that we have ever had.

4  Thank LeopoldoBarran

Reviewed 8 April 2014

This place is a hit or miss on service. Service is not consistently good. Some times waiting staff and host lack attention to detail and friendliness. On a few occasions I have had great service. It's a pity that the food is good but lacks on the customer service

1  Thank Francisco S
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I dined at Il Sogno Osteria for the first time, with two others who had been there previously. Overall, it was enjoyable. The setting is cool, both inside and out. We ate outdoors.

The menu is interesting, with some items not seen at the average Italian restaurant. The chef clearly has some creativity. Sometimes this works out well, sometimes not so well. I had the braised short rib. It was fantastically tender and flavorful. Another gentleman had the baby veal breast. We were confused by the title, having heard of chicken breast, but not familiar with that reference for cattle. We asked the waiter for the common name of that cut of meat on a cow. He tried to explain but made little sense to any of us. My friend was impressed when it arrived, looking an awful lot like prime rib in shape, cut and color. However, 80% of it, the entire center, had a weird consistency like ground meat, hardly cooked, like steak tartare. The flavor was okay, but nothing to write home about. After the meal, he asked the waiter to explain the preparation of his meal. We were told that this baby veal "breast" is flattened out, seasoned and rolled with ground pork in the center, tied and roasted. This explains both the general prime rib appearance and shape, and the odd color and consistency of the meat in the center.
My friend will not order that dish again, as there are many better choices available on the menu.
The other guest had red snapper, the special of the day, and really enjoyed it.

The wine list is all-Italian, and the waiter did a good hob recommending wines based on our explanations of the varieties we prefer from other growing regions, matching up the characteristics to Italian wines.

The appetizers and salads were excellent. Watch out for the brussel sprout appetizer if you are sensitive to the liberal use of salt. It is good, but quite salty. The calamari fritti was excellent, and had a hint of spicy heat that was just right.

The dessert menu was probably the only disappointment for a restaurant of this price and caliber. The selections were few, not more than 5. All were fairly drab and unimaginative. One was basically something fashioned from Nutella, that you could make at home for 50 cents. The chocolate dessert was two tiny triangular bars of soft dark chocolate with a dab of cream off to the side and a little drizzle. There was also lemon cake and tiramisu. The lemon cake tasted nice, like it was freshly made by squeezing fresh lemons. Passable, but no creativity in the dessert department.

Il Sogno Osteria is a welcome change from the Riverwalk area restaurants that dominate the downtown food trade in San Antonio. I will eat there again, but will order carefully.

1  Thank TxBizTravlr
Reviewed 1 March 2014

This is one of several good restaurants located in the Pearl Brewery area recommended by our daughter-in-law'suncle who lives in San Antonio. It is not the typical spaghetti and meatballs type of place. They do have pasta, but these pasta dishes have more interesting sauces and fillings. The kitchen is open, and it is fun to watch the food preparation while waiting to be seated. The service is excellent, and we enjoyed everything we got. Their desserts are made in-house also. The restaurant is not large, so it is best to make a reservation even on a weekday. We were there on a Thursday evening, and when we were leaving the lobby was filled with people waiting for a table.

Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

I just finished dining here for the third time; since they first opened. I decided to give it one last try. I'm on a low-carb Gluten-Free diet; so I had to choose carefully. I ordered the whole Bronzino with braised vegetables. It had decent flavor ; but the vegetables were limited to a few strands of thinly julienned squash plus a variety of mushrooms (which I consider to be fungi, not vegetables).

I'm glad that I know how to debone a fish; because I witnessed what I assume to have been the Manager on duty performing that task for someone else. This was done at the service counter, not table side; so I doubt the guests eventually eating the fish witnessed his method. Instead of utilizing a fish fork and knife; he used a knife and his bare hands to pick through the fish for several minutes.

I was once in the restaurant industry & was qualified to teach food service sanitation; so I know what I am talking about. At a minimum, latex, vinyl or nitrile gloves should have been worn while he used his fingertips to pick out loose bones. You don't use your bare hands to invasively pick through someones prepared meal.

While the angle wasn't great, I did capture a short video of the de-boning process. (Don't think I can upload video to Trip Advisor, just photos...).

Moving on; aside from the previously mentioned items that accompanied my entree; something not mentioned on the menu was served as well; a large dish of pasta. This wasn't exactly compatible with my low-carb gluten free diet. Had I known about it; I would have asked if I could substitute a green vegetable or something. Worst case, I would have simply instructed the waiter to not bring it to the table & have it go to waste.

To drink with my meal; I chose to go with a simple glass of iced tea. When the server inquired what sweetener, if any, I would prefer; I answered "sweet-n-low". He acknowledged my request and went off to put in my order & grab my tea. When the tea came to the table; the waiter brought along a plate with three small bowls of sweetener options. One was mixed white and natural sugar cubed, one looked like a mix of turbinad, white and a bit of artificially colored sugar granuals and the third looked like plain white sugar. When I asked about the sweet-N-Low, he pointed to the bowl that appeared to be standard granulated sugar. Doubting the accuracy of the waiter's statement; I test-tasted just a dew granuals and immediately knew that it was not saccharin; but granulated sugar. Since the waiter had already left the table; I proceeded to ask a passing waitress if it was possible to get some sweet-n-low. She regretfully informed me that the only no/low calorie sweetener that they served was stevia. I'm not a big fan of stevia; so I dug into an emergency stash of Sweet-n-low that I keep in a side compartment of my wallet. 2 packets for 2 glasses of tea.

This may sound a bit nit-picky; but being informed that white sugar is actually artificial sweetener can be somewhat dangerous. For me, it would have simply screwed up my diet & efforts to lose weight; but if I had been diabetic & unknowingly ingested refined sugar...who knows. Regardless; the waiter should have known better.

Despite the fact that I had informed my waiter of my diatary restrictions; he did choose to bring me a dessert menu at the end of my meal. (Nothing on it could have ever been considered a candidate for consumption on a low-carb, gluten free diet.

Despite the high praise that I keep hearing/reading for this place; I have no desire to ever return. There is far better food avalable at a more reasonable price and certainly served in a more professional manner, throughout San Antonio.