“SLOOOOW INTERNET!!! get the WIFI fixed and I give it 5 stars”

Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area
Ranked #181 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
San Francisco, California
“SLOOOOW INTERNET!!! get the WIFI fixed and I give it 5 stars”
Reviewed 16 March 2011

I would have rated it 5 stars.the hotel is great, new very nice, but management must think WIFI/LAN isn't important because they do NOTHING to get it working, other than that the hotel is great.if you want to be close to downtown though, this isn't the location. I stayed 5 days for a conference which was out that way. we really loved the hotel. PLEASE get the WIFI fixed, and it would be 5 stars in my book

Stayed March 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 11 March 2011

If you're not familiar with Candlewood Suites, it's an extended stay hotel - this one is a very nice, newly built one in an upcoming north area of town. It's easy to hop on 281 and drive to the River Walk in 20 minutes or so. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping centers nearby, including a Super Target where you can buy groceries. The staff is super friendly! Fitness center machines were fine, albeit a little cheap. My only complaint is the internet. I would definitely stay here again in the San Antonio area.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 November 2010

I had seen mixed reviews for this hotel, so I arrived before my no-penalty cancellation time and asked the receptionist to show me my room BEFORE I officially checked-in. I was very pleased, as the room (#209) was new, nicely decorated, clean and had NO smells. Overall, I had a very good stay at the Candlewood Suites. I would have rated it five stars, except that the full-size refrigerator AND the window AC/heater were extremely noisy. Even with earplugs, I found their recurrent noise interrupted my sleep, so I turned off the refrigerator, and—after heating the room—I turned off the heater as well. For a detailed review please see the pluses and minuses below.

The pluses:
• The hotel is new and immaculate. And, although this is not a luxury hotel, it is very tastefully decorated. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and nice decor, given that this hotel is so affordable.
• Everything was working in my room (#209), except the light above the table. But the hotel fixed it promptly.
• Everything in my room and bathroom was very clean—except one drinking glass, which had a residue on the bottom.
• My room was fragrance-free, smell-free, and very tastefully decorated with good-quality furniture. It had wood floor and very nice carpeting; a luxurious-feeling, supportive mattress and new fluffy pillows; solid-wood bed, chest of drawers, table and two chairs; an office chair; a leather recliner; a flat-screen TV; thick curtains to keep the room dark while you sleep; etc.
• The room also had a well-supplied kitchenette, with several pots and pans, silverware, cloth kitchen towels, etc., two burners, counter space for one person to prepare food, a small sink, a large microwave, a full-size fridge and even a full-size dishwasher.
• The bathroom was fragrance-free, nice and spacious. The sink area and bathtub walls are real granite, the shower had good water pressure and the towels were immaculate, soft, fluffy and fragrance-free.
• It’s affordable. I found a deal on the internet and paid about $170 total for 3 nights. [The best deal I found on the net for the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa (where my conference took place) would have totaled over $600 for 3 nights.]
• The hotel cleans the room and changes linens/towels about once a week (excellent for the environment), yet you can get clean, fragrance-free linen and towels at the reception desk whenever you want.
• The hotel is conveniently located, a few blocks from a shopping center and around 12 minutes from the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, which is located at 23808 Resort Parkway. (My conference took place at that resort. In case it helps you to know: Highway 281 was very slow during commute hours so, to get to the resort, I avoided that road. I took this route instead: I made a right upon exiting the Candlewood Suites property, a left on Evans, a left of TPC Parkway and then turned onto Resort Parkway.)
• The staff was very welcoming, polite and accommodating. When I made my reservations online, I told the hotel that I have asthma and that I needed a non-smoking, clean and mold-free room—and that is what I got in room #209.
• The room was perfect for my asthma and allergies. The lady who registered me mentioned that she has asthma as well, that she had moved my reservations from a different room to room #209, and that she personally inspected the room to make sure it was right for me. There was nothing in the hotel to make me sick with asthma or allergies: No air fragrance, no staff wearing perfume, no dust/mold from AC systems, no noticeable particles from pillows or mattresses, no noticeable dust from carpeting, no noticeable pet hair, no cigarette smoke, no mold in fridge or bathroom, no chemical odors, no smells from cleaning products, no perfumes or other fragrances, etc. These positives allowed me to have a very comfortable and healthy stay. (FYI: This hotel is “pet friendly,” so if you have allergies/asthma, I recommend that you talk to the hotel about your needs to make sure you don’t end up in a room that has pet hair that might make you sick.)
• Guests are allowed to use the hotel’s washers and dryers for free.
• There is an honor system “pantry” near reception.

The minuses:
• As I mentioned above, the fridge and AC/heater were very noisy. When the heater went on (even on “low”) I had to raise the volume on the TV so I could hear it. And, at night, even when I wore earplugs, the recurrent noise from the heater and fridge disturbed my sleep, so I was forced to turn off both in order get a good night’s rest.
• The hotel was in a perfect location for my needs. However, highway 281 can be very slow during commute hours. So allow extra time when going to or returning from the airport or downtown San Antonio.
• In the evening and at night I couldn’t hear my neighbors (I loved it!) but one morning I could hear their loud radio, which was annoying. (Room #209 has a connecting door to an adjacent room.)
• The bath soap the hotel provides leaves a residue on the skin. Also, the soap couldn’t dissolve my water-based makeup (whereas the natural soap I brought from home removed my makeup right away).
• While the toilet paper was soft, the tissue was a little rough—not too rough, but not as soft as Kleenex brand tissue.
• The elliptical machine in the gym was not working, but the receptionist said she would get it fixed. I was able to use the stationary bike instead.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Margarita526
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 13 November 2010

the hotel is clean .... the beds are super comfortable ..there a workout area hot tub anfd pool .....rooms are up to date and the staff overall are extremely friendly

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank sandycampbell35
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I didn't know it until I checked in but this place is a long term stay hotel that only services rooms once each week. It's clean. The exercise room needed some maintenance (the elipticle machine wouldn't turn on, the bike needed some bolts tightened).

Some food for sale, room had a small kitchen which I had no interested.

Listing on reservation site should have disclosed it is intended for extended stay.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 4 October 2010

My family and I stayed here for a 3 days. This was the most unclean hotel I have ever stayed at, and I travel constantly. I have stayed at several Candlewoods but this is the worst without doubt. The carpets in the elevator are stained and filthy. My room had trash still in the trash cans, crusted/burned food caked on to the stove top. The vacuum had not been run there was stuff along the floors next to the bed. We couldn't find the remote to the TV, until my son looked under the bed and found it along with crayons and a food wrapper. There was also no soap, shampoo or any toiletries in our room either. It seemed to us that the room had never been fully cleaned. Only the beds had been made. I went down to the front desk, and the young man working the desk was unhelpful. I asked if we could have them clean the room while we were gone or put us in a new room. He informed us that no that’s not how it works housekeeping were gone for the day. Not only was this hotel extremely dirty, but it was so loud! doors slamming all night long,and people running in the hallways. So if you plan on trying to get some sleep good luck. And if the people don't bother you the crazy construction all night wil. I have never seen so many detours and crazy traffic in my life. It was so hard to get in and out of this hotel. We were just completely floored on how unbelievably dirty this hotel is for it being brand new or at least that’s how the advertised it. I would recommend staying far far away from this hotel.Overall experience horriable.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Yankeegirl04
Central Texas
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We booked this room for 2 nights through Hotwire, which guaranteed that the room would be appropriate for our family of 2 adults and 2 children. When we arrived, we were assigned a room with one queen bed. Apparently, no rooms with two beds were available. No apologies, extra rooms, or rollaway beds were offered. We were told that this is what we should have expected when we booked through Hotwire, even though the hotel knew how many were in our party before we arrived. While Hotwire was very helpful, the three additional hotel company representatives I have spoken to have all taken the position that the hotel will not necessarily provide a room appropriate for 4 people even if you make a reservation for 4 people.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family