“Not the place for families - best for long term business travelers”

Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area
Ranked #175 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
CA
“Not the place for families - best for long term business travelers”
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We were in San Antonio to visit family for 3 nights. We chose Candlewood because it was close to them and we wanted the larger room a suite would provide. The website claims it is for tourists, since it isn't far from the attractions. However, upon arriving, we learned that it is primarily an extended stay hotel. This means that housekeeping only comes once a week. The staff was friendly and said to ask if we wanted fresh towels, but that still meant our used towels sat there. There were boxes outside of most of the rooms on our floor since workers have things shipped to them while living there. These were there a couple days. This is a great place for long term company workers, but not so good for a family.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Knansea

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
St. George, Utah
Reviewed 8 June 2012

We stayed at this motel because it is close to our son's home. We stayed the last week of May 2012. The first 2 nights people were slamming the doors and talking between 3 & 5 am. We asked to be moved and they moved us up to the top floor. Signs said there was remodeling going on - it didn't smell too good in the lobby. The fitness equipment is in the same room as the washers and dryers so you will sweat good! They posted a sign on May 29th that the pools wouldn't be available available on May 30th & May 31st so we took our granddaughters to go swimming on May 29th. When we arrived 2 men were sitting in the pool area smoking. This is a non-smoking hotel and they were only 10 - 15 feet from the pool. There were cigarette butts everywhere around the pool and in the pool. The pool was filthy. My husband grabbed the net and tried to clean it, but there was dirt on the floor. A very rough crew of people staying here. Drinking at the back entrance and smoking by the front. We won't stay here again.

Room Tip: If you are not a smoker, don't stay at this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank segmiler
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this review, 16 July 2012
Dear segmiler,

It is regrettable you were not satisfied with the service you received. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
SAN ANTONIO
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here for just over one month, as we were in 'transition' with moving into our new home. Mr Ray Velazquez, the General Manager here...runs a tight ship! Candlewood Suites provides MANY, MANY amenities included in their prices for each room... We had a very comfortable room and enjoyed using their free washers/dryers; free towel service; free use of gym/pool facilities; complimentary coffee and USA newspaper each day; free paper towels, dish soap, etc... ALL OF THESE ITEMS come with the cost of your stay. And, Mr. Velazquez goes the 'extra mile' to make sure each of his guests are happy with their stay and provides that 'personal service' that is almost unheard of these days! Case in point: (we were expecting a FEDEX delivery, and he personally signed for it and walked it up to our room upon delivery!). It's hard to find that level of service anywhere these days, right? So, if you need a place to stay...THIS IS IT!

Room Tip: We had a room at the end of the building, near the 'stairway exits'. We were very happy wit...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TINA E
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 20 December 2011

The Staff was extreemly accomodating to everything I needed. I was staying for a Wedding and called them a few times before my stay to get things organized and they were always extreemly nice and remember who I was from the previous phone calls.
Great customer serivce and very personal with each customer. I Had not one complaint from the room itself. It is the most homey hotel room I have ever stayed in. It was truely a great experience and the price was amazing!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Candlewood S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
I would like to start off by saying we know you had a choice, thank you for choosing Candlewood Suites San Antonio N-Stone Oak area. I do apologize for the delay in response. Together my staff and I work hard to provide 100% guest satisifaction. I am pleased to here that is what you received. It is important when travelling away from home to feel as comfortable and as much "at home" as you can. If you are a ever back in San Antonio area, it is my hope that our hotel will again be the choice for you. If you have any questions please feel free to contact myself or any member of my staff. We are more than happy to assist you.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I stayed here when I decided that paying conference rates at JW Marriott just wasn't worth it. You do need a car, but access from the airport and to the resort is very simple.
The hotel is clean, has everything needed, and is close to a lot of shopping to pick up stuff for healthy eating, getting that pedicure you did not have time to get, or souveniers.
The room is large, with a bathroom (sink, tub/shower combo, toilet, hair dryer), kitchenette (full size fridge, microwave, coffee pot, 2 coil cooktop) and office space. The TV does have a DVD player connected, but it is so complicated to turn it on, I never did get to watch it.
The hotel does have a gym, business center, honor sundry shop. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Stayed here in October 2011 for a few days, the standard of the hotel is really good, nice and clean, and I saw the cleaners working everyday. Definitely a place to stay especially as there is a place to cook but would have been nice if they have a restaurant too. The only problem is there is not much to do around there so good for business people but not a tourist's delight.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 22 July 2011

Highly recommend a long term stay here at this location. Service is remarkable! Cleanliness is above average. Amenities such as kitchenette, laundry facility, work out area, pool, access to pantry, cookouts on scheduled Wednesday nights, all are extra treats for a long term stay. You can't go wrong when choosing this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family