“DISGUSTING HOTEL!!!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #164 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
San Diego, California
“DISGUSTING HOTEL!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2014

This hotel has bed bugs. It smells terrible. And it looks like it is going to fall apart. The workout room is a joke. Sweat stains. Their "pantry" is also a joke. They are right next to a loud loud bar/club that blasts music and keeps you awake. The morning I left, there were guests in the lobby upset that someone stole their tractor trailer that was attached to their truck. SERIOUSLY?!! The Wi-fi is incredibly slow. Overall, not worth my time and most definitely not worth my money. Save yourself a terrible experience and go to Staybridge or another location. Just not this crappy place. I don't know why the franchise thinks that having a manager who is "nice" and "polite" will cover up having a crappy hotel. They are not making a great name for the brand. IHG was ruined for me because of this stay.

Room Tip: Hopefully someone's room was cleaner and smelled nicer than mine.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Lauren N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Lauren N,

Thank you for taking time to leave a review of our property. We certainly regret the overall dissatisfaction you had experienced during your stay.

Our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product and for this reason your comments are very troubling and will certainly be looked into. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information.

Again, thank you for staying with us and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon

John O
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for one night, cashed-in some rewards points instead of paying for the room.

Candlewood Suites are the "extended stay" branch of IHG, so no free breakfast. But, the place is very clean, the rooms are HUGE with full kitchens, and the "shop" inside the lobby is well-stocked.

No complaints at all, and I would certainly stay here again!!

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Candlewood S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Jeff S, We certainly thank you for using your IHG Rewards points at our hotel. Here at Candlewood Suites we try to make the hotel as comfortable for our guests as possible. Thank you for the review. We hope to see you back soon.
Rigby, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

This Candlewood Suites property is a basic extended stay property. It lacks many amenities that are standard on other hotels, namely there is no pool, no daily maid service, and no breakfast available. It's great however if you simply want to keep to yourself, not be disturbed by housekeeping, and need a place to sleep for the night. I find Candlewood Suites to have comfortable beds, clean bathrooms, good towels, etc, and the full kitchen is always nice. This property is just under 4 years old, but already there are a number of maintenance issues I noticed: There were two large chips off the tub enamel in the bathroom. The A/C unit under the room window was detached from the wall somewhat, as though someone weighing 400 lbs sat on it. The computer in the business center had no internet access, and the front desk staff, while trying to be helpful, was unable to solve the problem. In general there were little details about the building that indicated keeping up on maintenance is not a priority. In addition traffic on US-281 was very heavy and quite backed up at times, making access to the hotel difficult at best from anywhere in San Antonio. The HDTV had only a few actual HD channels, the rest were analog. Internet speed was good.

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ajnuff
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear ajnuff,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry about the bathroom condition, business center equipment and the room air conditioning. We will address these issues. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Waco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

From check-in until I checked out, everything about my stay was wonderful. Because of my profession, I spend several nights a week in hotels and am used to 'the norm' for mid-priced places.... this CW was not 'the norm'. The sweet lady (tiffany?) at the front desk greeted me with a smile and made me feel very much at home, which was much appreciated after traveling for 10 hours. Room was immaculate, very quiet, bed was comfortable and location convenient. (added perk was it put me close enough to canyon spring golf course, I couldn't resist!) I'll definitely be back again when traveling to San Antonio next month.

• Stayed November 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Candlewood S, Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear JaysonPChapman,

We would like to thank you for your staying at our hotel and we appreciate your positive feedback. Our goal at Candlewood Suites is to make every guest like they are at home. We hope to see you back soon!
Tulsa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

From the moment I arrived, I was treated like family. The staff was so accommodating and Joe the manager went out of his way to ensure that my room and stay was perfect. I would recommend this hotel for business and leisure!

Stayed October 2013
Dear Joel E,

It is great to hear that our staff is doing such a good job at accommodating our guests. We thank you for staying at our hotel. Your review is greatly appreciated. We hope to see you back soon.
Las Vegas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here because it was the closest hotel to where my family lives. When I arrived I was disturbed by the dark parking lot and the dirty lobby but I checked in anyway because it was late and I was tired. I got to the "suite" which had a very tattered bedspread and dirty refrigerator. The drawers in the bathroom were falling down and would not open or close. The toilet was GROSS. The bathtub had some type of grit on the bottom. I do not know if it was soap scum or cleaner left over. The microwave didn't work and the stove was on a timer that only worked if I held it on the entire time.
All of this could have been OK because of the cheap rate and location if it were not for the nightclub outside the window where the music pumped so loudly until 2am that I did not sleep until after that time. I was there for three nights. I called the front desk the first night and the clerk was chewing food when she told me that the noise was from the nightclub and maybe they could move me tomorrow if they had room.
The next night I arrived back around midnight from a hospital visit to a drunk man sitting with the male desk clerk. He started making lewd comments to me that he clerk found very funny. I hurried to my room and did not dare ask to be moved.
The final night I asked the clerk to please schedule a taxi for me at 3:30 am for an early flight. She said she would and I asked for a wake up call at 3:00am. Luckily, I set my cell phone alarm because the wake up call came at 3:20am and when I got downstairs and asked about the cab the same guy who was friends with the drunk told me I was out of luck because all the strip clubs just closed and the cabs would be busy and that no cab had been ordered. He did call a cab for me when a security guard came in and started trying to help me. He told me I was going to miss my flight because the taxi would be at least an hour. I went outside to try and make some calls to family to arrange a ride when the cab arrived. Less than ten minutes after his call.
This was the worst experience I have had in a hotel in a very long time.
I complained to the company and they wrote me an apology letter and upgraded my membership status to gold and added points which I will never use because they will never get my business again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank frequenttravler2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
Dear frequenttravler2013,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review regarding your recent stay. Our goal is to provide an excellent guest experience however it is unfortunate that we weren't able to do so on this occasion due to the service received and condition of the room you were given. Your feedback is very important to us as this continually helps us improve the facilities and guest services we offer to our guests.

Pam G
Ardmore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

I am currently in San Antonio on long term business. Candlewood Suites is an excellent choice for those that need an extended stay option. The staff has been wonderful to my group, starting from the front desk staff to Joe, the sales manager. They have been very accommodating to our needs. The rooms are nice and clean on every trip. With a fridge, stove and microwave in every room, and a grill outside, you don't have to eat out all the time. I have stayed at a few places in San Antonio over the past few months, and none compare to my experience at Candlewood Suites. I highly recommend staying here, especially if you have long term hotel stay need.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business