“Holds up to the JW Marriott brand, but far from downtown” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Chicago, Illinois
“Holds up to the JW Marriott brand, but far from downtown”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

Love, love, love the JW Marriott brand and this one lives up to the brand's reputation. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms lovely and facilities are nice all around. My king standard room had a nice couch and a good work area (in case you are there on business). The bathroom had both a tub and a shower. The tub was nice and deep for soaking. Room service was always on time and delivered exactly what I hoped with a few extra surprises. My four stars are for the reasons above. I took off a star because of below.

I happened to be there for a conference and the conference facilities were great overall. Though the hotel could accommodate many of the conference attendees, the restaurants were packed and it was hard to get a reservation. How is it possible that a huge hotel would not have enough tables to seat all of its guests for dinner between 5-10 pm?! That is my biggest complaint. It was hard to have dinner. Every night we had to pay for a $40+ taxi to either downtown San Antonio or a nearby suburb to have dinner. Not good! Let me reiterate, downtown San Antonio is a $40-$50 cab ride away. If you want to be downtown, this is not the place. If you want quiet and don't plan on leaving the hotel, stay here!

Room Tip: This hotel is huge. It is likely that you will get a room that will take minutes, maybe even 10 min...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Frisco, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

What a fancy and beautiful hotel; upon arrival, valet and hotel staff awaits to welcome you. Front desk staff greets you, checks you in, hands out map of the huge resort and offers you a cookie. The room was absolutely splendid, comfortable, spacious and with a receiving living area with balcony. Thebathroom offers shower and bath tub. This resort has a spectacular sport bars and croocked branch bar is a nice place to ha g out for drinks and snacks. The Cibolo moon rest offers a great breakfast buffet. In the Lobby, you can find a Starbucks and a fabulous hotel shop that offers you everything, i mean it, everything. This hotel is definitely kid friendly and lots of activities to do. We absolutely loved this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
San Antonio, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

My husband and I wanted to spend a fun New Years Eve and not worry about driving. He booked us for the JW Marriott Hill Country. We went to the spa during the day and it was very nice and relaxing. There was not much choice for dinner, but booked the Buffett. At $75 per person was a little disappointed at the food. Was a 3 out of 5. Then wanted to go and do some dancing!!! No can do!!!! There was a band with a dance floor in the lobby and it was extremely crowded and over half the individuals who were on the dance floor were 6 to 8 years old. We were there for an "adult" evening. Not to have to dodge 6 year olds while dancing. The Sports Bar was going to be adult only starting at 10:00 pm. Unfortunately, the A&M game was on and families were camped out watching the game. That was understandable, but it was around 10:30 to 11:00 pm before the DJ really got going. Again, extremely crowded but it was expected. So, what did I learn? Ask more questions about what is going on and make sure what is going on fits what you are looking for. I have attended no less than 10 to 12 New Years Eve celebrations at various hotels and have never seen one that focused so much on families with very small children. Spent about $1,000, ate a so so dinner, danced for about an hour and a half; returned home the next day wishing we had not gone.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank NoelMarieD
Prescott, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

We have stayed many times in San Antonio throughout the years, and always in the downtown area near the riverwalk. We opted to stay to stay at JW Marriott this time, and did enjoy. The rooms are very quiet, and for the most part we never heard our neighbors. The rooms were spacious enough, and the beds very comfortable.

We stayed 2 nights, where one of the nights was new years eve. We had made dinner reservations in advance at one of the restaurants (that had a band), but were disappointed to learn that we needed to leave our table to make room for more diners. When we made the reservation, we were told this was not the case.

We did have a balcony room on the 5th floor that looked towards downtown, and were treated to a spectacular fireworks show. We had some fireworks starting at dusk, but come midnight, I think we saw all the fireworks that were being set off. It was an incredible show that we will never forget.

We are planning a return trip, but next time in warmer weather. We want to try out the mini-Schliterbaun water park that they have there. Though it was in use while we were there, only kids were brave enough to use in the cold weather.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Central Florida, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014 via mobile

My family went to Texas for Xmas holidays. We stayed at a dude ranch for 4 days and the JW Marriott for 5 days. My son travels frequently and is a Marriott Gold Club member. He said it is one of the finest properties he has stayed at in the Marriott group. My only complaint wax the beds in my room had some plastic type of cover on the mattresses. Is that a state health requirement or were they being zealous about keeping the mattresses from spills? Forgot to ask about it. My son and his wife had a beautiful suite with king size bed and they said it was very comfortable. The Cielo Moon restaurant was reasonably priced for a hotel restaurant. I could feed the family of five for about the same price as at a Darden chain restaurant. I didn't eat anywhere else on site. The gym is top notch. The spa was excellent. My doctor had recommended if possible to try the spa "breathing room" that some of the Marriott resorts have. I forgot the name they actually give it. She said she could tell a difference in breathing after sauna and 1/2 in that room when she was at a Marriott Resort in Arizona. The room is quiet, infused with light aroma of eucalyptus and maybe something else. I did some research after the trip and decided to buy a diffuser and eucalyptus essential oil for my bedroom. They sell similar items at the hotel, but I didn't want to try packing in my suitcase. The hotel has a naturally heated pool area that was great when air temp was 70ish, but only suitable for polar bears when outdoor temp is below 70. My grandson loved it. Would I stay again? Absolutely yes. It is a 25 minute drive to downtown, but after seeing the large number of panhandlers, the tourist trap junk shops, downtown, I was very happy to be out north.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jessica M
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

My family, along with 4 other neighborhood families, were just at this property for New Years Eve, and I just want to take a minute to say what a wonderful time we all had. From the moment we arrived on Monday until the moment we checked out on New Year's Day with the complimentary cookies, the professionalism and graciousness was non-stop. We had kids with us whose ages ranged from 6-19, and they all had a great time. That's a difficult feat to accomplish; one we could not have accomplished at home! In addition, all of the adults were totally entertained, whether it was from watching the Aggie game in the sports bar or from dancing with the band in the lobby. Some of the kids enjoyed the pool slides while others of us took in the beautiful sights of the golf course or the tranquility of the spa.

On a separate note, my husband and I enjoyed the breakfast buffet, every bit worth the $22, and were impressed by the room service when they agreed to serve us even though it was 8 minutes until they closed on New Year's Eve. They said it would take 75 minutes, but it was more like 45. Whew!

We are never let down when we stay at this beautiful property, so I thought it was time I make the effort to say what an outstanding staff and facility this property has. Thank you, JW Marriott, for helping us end 2013 and begin 2014 on a spectacular note!

Room Tip: If you can get one of the rooms that opens to the pool on the bottom floor, it is really nice!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014

Went back to the JW for New Years because past experiences have been wonderful, but new years was poorly planned the resort. Way too many people for the staff, restaurants/bars to accommodate appropriately. The wait for any dinner/ table in High Velocity was 3 hours minimum, which should have been avoided with some New Years party planning. We booked our room a month ago & called, emailed, called & called & called to try to get info & reservations for any new years events, to which we were told there are no events. So our entire 7 person party ended up waiting & waiting & waiting for a table at High Velocity- eventually spending most of New Years in the room. Disappointed- wish we would have chosen a different resort for New Years celebration.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends