“Big Texas Hospitality” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #18 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
McLean VA, USA
“Big Texas Hospitality”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014

You're warmly greeted at the door. Check in is swift and friendly. Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated, with inviting views. Great golf course, especially the one they play the PGA Valero Tour event on. Tough, but fair, with nice vistas. Superb restaurant adjacent to the pro shop. Nice outdoor area with a fireplace. Bit too cold and shut down pool facilities during our visit, but this was clearly communicated in advance--credit to Marriott for disclosure--and didn't bother us. Huge sports bar. And everywhere you turn, just very nice, well trained staff trying to make your stay enjoyable. I don't like "resort fees" as mandatory add-ons to the base price, but it costs money to upkeep the property as they do in great condition. Golf guys remember your name and could not be more accommodating and gracious. Superb place for a get away or conference.

Room Tip: Ask to be close to elevators. It can be a hike to go to your room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (628)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
DSM
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Great place but a few caveats so you are aware of the place. We purchased this through Marriott Vacations which provided airfare and the cost of the hotel room.
1) the 32.00 daily resort fee is not included in the Vacation payment. When we were there the pools and almost all outdoor activities were closed for our stay. We do not golf. So 32.00 to sit in the library or the lobby or our room, when we were not out and about San Antonio.
2) Much of the outdoor pool area is closed in December and January for repair and upkeep. Only limited facilities are available. The very small adult pool was open.
3) Food can be expensive esp at Cibolo Moon
4) You have to go to the Lobby for a newspaper.
5) rooms have a refrig and a safe.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank GustavSpeed
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014

For an anniversary get away, my husband and I spent a long weekend at this fairly new Marriott. First of all, this hotel is beautiful. Our check in was quick and efficient. Our standard room was fairly large, clean, comfortable and quiet. It had a full balcony overlooking the golf course and clubhouse. The balcony was great for enjoying some sun and morning coffee. It had two patio chairs, a small table and was not visible from the balconies next door. Important!

While there, we enjoyed a day at Lantana Spa and adult pool. Adult means no one under 18 admitted. Thank you JWM! The spa staff were VERY accommodating and unobtrusive, but still close by waiting to serve. The adult pool is large with a huge hot tub all in a beautiful setting. The pool is heated but don't expect it to be warm. Too cold for me. The hot tub was perfect. The spa food was very good. We had tuna sandwiches, delivered outside, which were big and filling. We also enjoyed a Refreshing Fruit Elixir with an added shot of vodka. Yum! The only problem is they stop serving at 3:00pm!

While there we did try the restaurants. Cibolo Moon for an enormous breakfast buffet. Everything you would want and more. I opted for the a la carte oatmeal and it was very good. Also got a to-go of pastries for later. Service was a little slow but the restaurant at 9:00 on a Sunday morning was as expected, crowded.

We made a stop at Crooked Branch for a quick before dinner drink and appetizer. This is a great meeting and people watching spot.

Dinner was at 18 Oaks for a tender and juicy steak. The Mac & Cheese side was fantastic. Ambiance was great, very romantic, and the service excellent. The dress was Casual (a couple in the bar in golf shorts and polos) to Business Casual. This restaurant is connected to the golf pro shop.

After dinner we stopped in at High Velocity for after dinner drinks and to watch some football. The main TV screens are huge! Food menu looked OK for a bar.

Can't wait to go back since the weather didn't allow much time to enjoy the back patio.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet. We were on a higher floor overlooking the golf course. The elevators moved...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hazel S
San Antonio, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2014

The visit begins with two people opening 2 doors to let you in with a "welcome." A few others were standing to guide you in the right direction just inside. Registration, with Jessica, took a few minutes. She presented me with a pin to represent the level I was as a rewards member. I wore it, but nothing special happened.

The room was spacious and very clean. The balcony overlooked the Wedding lawn (room 4357 / 4359), and included both a shower and a tub. The typical amenities: safe (in the drawers with a nice touch to plug your phone/laptop/etc into so it will charge and be secure), a nice desk with a roll out extension (see photos), coffee and tea, and a ihome docking station for your (older iphone connection) phone. The room's desk had a very nice set of electronic connections.
From 5-6 p.m. there were Smores available for kids or adults.

My wife and I got a massage at the spa. We were running late. I believe we were the last for the day and I had to run off the premises to get someone. The staff stayed and said they would be there whenever I arrived. A nice touch by Shon at the spa's desk.
Dinner at Cibilo offers the Filet Mignon for $34ish, while it's about $40 at 18 Oaks (the fancier restaurant). The french fries at 18 oaks are excellent while the jelly/ jam at dinner with strawberry/jalepeno was nice and not too spicy on the biscuits they serve in a small cast iron pan.
The morning breakfast buffet was excellent and well worth paying the extra to include on the option when you register for the room.
There isn't a Ritz Carlton in San Antonio, but for Marriott this is about as close as one will need / get. It has more of a local Texas theme and flavors than an ornate dressing of the Ritz, but works well in the Hill country. You will enjoy it and it'll be a lot less than one would have spent at a Ritz.

Room Tip: 10% off of Spa services in Feb.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2014

Beautiful resort with lush landscaping, fantastic water attraction, nice fitness center and spacious event/conference facility. Staff was wonderfully accommodating and courteous. Check in was quick and they were able to fulfill my request for a room away from elevators. I experienced al most NO noise whatsoever, over 5 nights including a busy Saturday. Cab from airport runs about $40, and self-parking is free.

Room was large and bed was very comfortable. Appreciated having a mini fridge and plenty of outlets for charger, laptop, etc. King room also had sleeper sofa - added bonus. Nice having separate tub and walk-in shower - bathroom was large.

Two things kept this from being an "Excellent" - first, the location is just a bit far from shopping; 4 miles to groceries and 3 for pharmacy, $9-$12 each way for a taxi. JW has the money for a free customer shuttle that runs every hour or so, like at their Phoenix/Scottsdale location (take a lesson!). Second thing that was disappointing: lack of hot water during the final 3 days of my stay. Running the shower 15 minutes only got it as far as luke-warm. Yes, I probably should have mentioned it immediately but thought it was simply a fluke the first time, and last 2 days were just too busy for me.

Have another stay there in late March, hopefully my opinion will improve on that one - will write follow-up review afterwards.

Room Tip: Even numbers face pool/water attraction, odd face golf course. Make sure to ask for a patio/balcony...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank TravelPics825
Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

Staff was very friendly, golf course was in outstanding shape. Weather was great for first few days, not so for last part of week. Room situation was a challenge at best. Was put in the wrong room for first night. Didn't realize it until someone else tried to enter my room on second evening. Hotel made me move, even though it was their mistake. Got a lovely apology note under my door, addressed to "Mr. LastName". Only problem? I was traveling alone and I am a woman. Nice attention to detail. Next night, room next to me started a party at 3:30 am. I called hotel front desk three times. First two times, front desk called room next to me to ask them to be quiet. Third time, they finally sent security. They finally got quiet at 5:30am. My alarm was going off at 6:00am. Needless to say, not a lot of sleep. Overall, nice property. I was disappointed with the issues surrounding my room. For a JW property, I expected more.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
toddw100, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 January 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our Resort last week. We appreciate and are proud of our friendly service and our world class Oaks and Canyons golf courses. We do apologize for our error at check in on your room assignment and our lack of attention to detail in our effort to recover. We strive to admit our mistakes and make up for them with a proper apology during our guests stay. We also have taken the necessary steps to retrain our entire staff on how to handle after hours noise complaints as the first call from our guests should be the last.

Again, we offer our sincere apologies and we hope to welcome you back soon.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2014 via mobile

I can only provide a review on what I experienced as a participant in a convention. I did not stay in the hotel. The conference facilities are top notch and the staff working at the hotel went beyond the call every day of our three day event. I have been to many conventions, but none quite so polished as this one. I attribute a great deal of this to the location and staff.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business