“A big hotel with a friendly feel”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #16 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“A big hotel with a friendly feel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

You're going to get lost here, until you find the shortcuts to your room. But you have to like experience. As big as it is, it's as friendly and welcoming as a small boutique hotel. Rooms were spotless and big and well appointed. This place has everything you will need for your stay. I'm here on business, but with the golf course and pools, will return for a family visit some day. Plenty of food choices and bars, and most of what I ate was very good.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (633)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

WOW! We almost NEVER stay in luxury family resorts because we enjoy "off the beaten path" local travel so much, but after a truly hellish experience at a so-called "Dude Ranch" (Rancho Cortez) in Bandera, Texas, I took my child to JW for a few days based on another Rancho Cortez guest recommendation.
EVERY single employee of this particular Marriot treated us like we were the 2 most important people in the world. And, despite the fact that the resort is huge (over 1,000 guest rooms) my child and I were remembered in every restaurant, play area, lobby, etc...BY NAME!
Though we had been at Rancho Cortez for 4 days and the place is tiny, the owner, Larry Cortez, couldn't remember our names.
The water slides and lazy river were so much fun. The family pool was clean and warm. The adults only pool and hot tub was right next to the kids area so parents could keep an eye on their brood, but if adults want peace and quiet, the pool and hot tub at the resort's spa was truly AMAZING. I spent 8 hrs there one day when I hired a sitter to watch my child at the water park area. BEST 8 hrs ever. I just swam and swam and swam and enjoyed the quiet and the relaxation.
Food at Cibalo Moon, outstanding. Grilled red fish. YUM. Buffet breakfast delicious and abundant. I had smoked salmon every morning.
Our "standard" room -- not very expensive at all -- big. king bed, sofa, chair and ottoman (really our own living room) bathroom also large and so well appointed. My 8 yr old was so happy to take a soaking tub after 4 days of sponge baths only (our tub/shower combo at Rancho Cortez didn't drain.)
I could really go on forever about the joys of this resort so I won't bore you, but if you are looking for fun filled days with your children with great rooms, food and staff --- this JW is for you.
I can't believe I'm saying this after our disaster at Rancho Cortez, but just this resort makes me want to plan another trip to Texas!! (San Antonio, by the way) is an EXCELLENT city. So much to see and do....FIESTA (a special week long celebration throughout the entire city) is incredible.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Depends on what you enjoy. We had a room overlooking the bicycle/walking trails. Very pretty. Other...
Green Features: BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! ASK AT CONCIERGE!!!!!! Recycling, hybrid car discounts, wind power, much much more.
1 Thank annall_13
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

My family and I stayed 3 nights at JW Marriott in San Antonio, and we enjoyed every second. The food was wonderful, the staff was very pleasant, the activities were just a blast. I even made an effort to let the top managers know how much we appreciated their hospitality. My son and daughter really enjoyed the water park, and my wife and I enjoyed the view of the golf course from the adult pool. I will truly recommend this resort to all my friend and any one that reads this review. We will be back soon. This may be a two times a year mini vacation. Thank you to all at JW Marriott San Antonio resort.

1 Thank Stingray01
Mexico City, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

when you approach the Hotel, it is big big, 1002 rooms, i thought this was not going to be all right for the service, but i was wrong, everything was perfect, the service, the hotel, the rooms, the restaurants, it is ideal for families, or for resting after having a rough day shopping, all the staff is ready to help you in everything, even the hotel is so big you have everything close, if you like to take a walk, it has a path where you can enjoy it.
the restaurants are very good in food and service, Velocity sport bar has a very fun atmosphere and very good food, and breakfast at cibole moon is very good.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Great place to stay and play. Golf at the TPC courses was some of the best available. Both courses immaculate. Friendly and professional staff.Would recommend for anyone who wants to play golf at premier courses.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

I was a little concerned when I first approached the hotel by it,s size, around a 1000 Rooms so I thought the service might not be very good. I was proved wrong, staff were only too helpful to assist both upon arrival and in the Restaurants.
Rooms were good, but I wonder why have a Fridge but nothing inside! There were no glasses, wine or water glasses until I specially requested them which is a bit unusual for a 5 star hotel.
There was only one Bathrobe until I again requested that they send up another one.
Breakfast was a Buffet arrangement and I would say adequate but nothing special.
The Bar was noisy and service increadibly slow and as part of the special Hotel Package 2 Free drinks were offered, I ordered 2 Gin and Tonics one a Beefeater the other a Bombay Saphire and when I came to pay the bill, or should I say pass over the two vouchers they informed me that the Bombay Saphire was not included in the Free Drinks promotion! I pointed out that no mention of this was made on the Voucher....not very efficient of the Management.
We ate in two restaurants CIB Moon Restaurant which was good, I can highly recommend the Sirloin Steaks and for Children the Hamburgers seemed to suffice. The waiter a chap called Hose was excellent (previously with the Penninsula New York) and really looked after our party of eight brilliantly.
Turning to the Golf Courses they were superb and staff excellent and Greens in perfect condition.
In the evening we sampled dinner in the Oaks Restaurant where the service and Cuisine was outstanding, I can highly recommend the Venison!
The Swimming Pool was fine for Children, but trying to find a chair was virtually impossible and the Pool Food disappointing unless you are a Child and like Hamburgers!
A good Hotel, but if I had to be critical it lacked a personal service and really catered for Families who don't mind a few thousand people around you !

Room Tip: A room overlooking the Golf Course preferably on the 8th Floor. If you have Children one of the Room...
Cedar Park, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This hotel is HUUUGE and beautiful. We stayed on Easter weekend. There was plenty of acitivities for the kiddos. The waterpark is pretty great. There is an area for 2-7 yr olds with water slides, and water from very shallow to thigh high on an adult. They have 2 big slides for the older kids, and a lazy river pool. There is also an adults only pool that is heated when it is chilly out. Since it was Easter weekend, it was VERY busy, and kinda loud. What we would expect from a kids waterpark experience. We would NOT have liked this if we were a couple traveling alone looking for a romantic experience. My kids loved it. They are 3 and 5.

The room was nice, the bathroom area was very accomodating, bath and shower were separate. I was able to shower while watching my kiddos soak in the tub. Very convenient. The king bed was fabulous. The sheets are super soft and the bed is soft with a bit of firmness. My husband didn't like it because he likes a very firm bed, but I loved it. My kiddos slept on the roll out sofa bed. I laid on it, and it was awful, but I didn't think the kids would mind. My 5 yr old son got in and was like, "this is an awful bed, I'm sleeping with you!", my 3 year old daughter didn't mind it. Maybe next time we'll do the 2 full beds.

The room was VERY pricey. On checkout, they thanked us for our stay and gave us a coupon for a discounted stay for the next time we stayed......it was what we had paid through Priceline! Go through Priceline to get a better deal. Even though we got a $269 rate, after resort fees, county fees, wifi fees, so and so on it still ended up $330/night. A bit much. Especially if it's a resort, why charge so much for wifi?

Still the resort is gorgeous, our view of the hill country was very relaxing. We ate out both nights, Alcoholic drinks are $15 and up, children's breakfasts, and lunches are $20 minimum.

Overall, glad we stayed there, but don't think we will be going back. If you like more of a boutique hotel experience, this is not the place.

Room Tip: Try to get view of the hill country, very relaxing. A view of the pool can get loud, since there are...