“A wonderful family weekend at a beautiful resort!”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 355 Hotels in San Antonio
Houston, Texas
“A wonderful family weekend at a beautiful resort!”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

We visited the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort this year for a long Easter weekend. Aside from the slightly uncooperative weather, it really was a wonderful weekend! We are already planning a return trip this summer!

The resort is beautiful, but huge! The rooms are really nice and comfortable, and we had a corner room with a balcony overlooking the golf course. While everything about the resort is actually really great, the star of the show is the water park! We had an absolute blast on the slides and in the lazy river, and our youngest also really enjoyed the kids' pool and slides. As I mentioned, the weather wasn't perfect - in fact, we had a cool front come through right before Easter, so it was unseasonably cool considering it was late April. Thankfully, the pools are heated, though only to about 80 degrees (which is a bit chilly for me!). The only real problem with the pools is the lack of pool chairs. If they could find a way to add several hundred more chairs, it would be beyond perfect!

There are also activities galore for the whole family. While there, we enjoyed watching Frozen by the pool, having s'mores by the fire, learning about and petting the animals from Zoomagination, and much more. The kids also enjoyed spending every evening listening to music while running up and down the hills of the golf course after closing.

We booked a golf package for one of the nights and a spa package for the other night. My husband really enjoyed the golf and said the course was beautiful and challenging! I thought the spa was WONDERFUL! The whole experience in the spa was just perfect and I highly recommend it!

We also found the food to be very good. We had breakfast at Cibolo Moon the first morning and the buffet was delicious! We also splurged on the Easter Buffet and can honestly say it was one of the best buffets we've ever had!! The JW really paid attention to every detail on this brunch from the food to the décor to the entertainment. Our kids are still talking about the balloon animals (actually a Minion and a flower with lady bug) that balloon artist made for them.

We will absolutely return to this JW Marriott, hopefully this summer. I think it's also likely we'll return again for another holiday weekend, maybe even Easter next year. As I said, the resort is really big. On the bright side, we had a lot of fun exploring! The down side, though, is that it does take some time to figure out where you're going. By Sunday of our long weekend, we had it all figured out, though, and will know exactly where we're going next time!

1 Thank Kattimus

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (650)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Orlando
Reviewed 3 May 2014

like any JW, you'll find amenities, fun, and most of all, kind caring and helpful folks. the property is nice, big, and in an awesome location. but over priced, no free wifi in your room, and no gravy for your mashed potatoes. they have this way of calling your room to introduce your in-room dining attendant, which i have never had happen before. they called back twice to ask chicken gravy or brown gravy, i said brown, please, they said yes, i like brown gravy on mashed potatoes also. then called again to say no gravy at all. you know what you can always, and i mean always depend on at a JW, is the food is above average, and the beds are as well. the bed was average, the food was hit or miss, banquet food inedible, but the food at the moon restaurant was yummy. the staff seemed like they were over being "nice"...when i got out of the taxi, i said wow what a place! is this the JW? she said, the JW hill country resort and spa, you may have the wrong place. now, how many JW's are there in san antonio? tipped her 5 bucks and she didn't even hold the door for me with my luggage. actually no one held a door for me the entire stay. why aren't they manned, or are power doors? that i cannot answer. they also had parties outside my window every single night. so being in a remote, country area, you hear every single noise. the hooting birds i got used to, but the set up and break down of parties and those power scissors lifts got on my nerves.
the highlight of my trip? two beautiful angels named ariel and nadia, from in-room dining, who were the most caring and friendly people i have met in a while. they are truly worth asking for when getting room service!

Room Tip: don't get a room near the south lawn
Green Features: besides the usual towel on floor means wash it, i don't know any other environmental-friendly practices used for this hotel.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank danfotoman
toddw100, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Good Afternoon and thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback regarding your stay.

I am embarrassed about the situation regarding your In Room Dining experience and the gravy. I apologize that we did not do a thorough job in the training of our staff to deliver upon your request. We do in fact have Brown Gravy available and we also offer Cream Gravy which we serve with our awesome Chicken Fried Steak (in Cibolo Moon). Please rest assured that we will begin our retraining immediately so we might properly serve our future guests. We will also address your observations with our Arrival staff.

Your comments about Ariel and Nadia are greatly appreciated and we will publicly recognize and thank them.

Most important, we value your loyalty to Marriott and hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 30 April 2014 via mobile

As you drive through residential developments and roads under construction to get to the property, it is easy to question why such a enormous hotel would even be placed here. Indeed, when you get out of the car and look to the southwest, the view is cluttered by cement plants and various other distractions.

On the other hand, when you walk through the expansive lobby and head toward the back, the extraordinary vista shows the very best of the Texas Hill Country: rolling hills covered with trees and seasonal color, as far as the eye can see, separated only by one of the two Tour-level golf courses on the property.

The hotel itself is typical JW Marriott level quality. The hotel and convention space is Texas-big; give yourself plenty of time to get around.

Of the three resort hotels on the outskirts of San Antonio, the JW Marriott's quality and views separate it from La Cantera and the Hyatt Hill Country.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Grove, Oklahoma
Reviewed 29 April 2014

From the moment you arrive to when you leave, the staff is attentive...and I mean everyone! You are spoken to with a smile. If you look lost (which can happen in this huge facility) someone will volunteer to help you immediately. This is one of the most impressive properties I have ever had the privilege of using. I even got a note from the lady who cleaned the room thanking me for "being so tidy."

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank James G
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The resort property is huge! It was a shame that it was too cold for swimming but perfect golf weather. The course was great and was the perfect way to spend the afternoon. The views f rom the course were spectacular. The restaurants and staff were superb for a resort property. My son was thoroughly impressed with the chicken fried steak and my husband loved the steak from restaurant at the golf steakhouse. The rooms were very well maintained and clean. I liked the personal note from the housekeeper. We don't usually leave tips for housekeeping, but we did this time.

Room Tip: Pool view was nice but it might get noisy when the weather gets better.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

You're going to get lost here, until you find the shortcuts to your room. But you have to like experience. As big as it is, it's as friendly and welcoming as a small boutique hotel. Rooms were spotless and big and well appointed. This place has everything you will need for your stay. I'm here on business, but with the golf course and pools, will return for a family visit some day. Plenty of food choices and bars, and most of what I ate was very good.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 25 April 2014

WOW! We almost NEVER stay in luxury family resorts because we enjoy "off the beaten path" local travel so much, but after a truly hellish experience at a so-called "Dude Ranch" (Rancho Cortez) in Bandera, Texas, I took my child to JW for a few days based on another Rancho Cortez guest recommendation.
EVERY single employee of this particular Marriot treated us like we were the 2 most important people in the world. And, despite the fact that the resort is huge (over 1,000 guest rooms) my child and I were remembered in every restaurant, play area, lobby, etc...BY NAME!
Though we had been at Rancho Cortez for 4 days and the place is tiny, the owner, Larry Cortez, couldn't remember our names.
The water slides and lazy river were so much fun. The family pool was clean and warm. The adults only pool and hot tub was right next to the kids area so parents could keep an eye on their brood, but if adults want peace and quiet, the pool and hot tub at the resort's spa was truly AMAZING. I spent 8 hrs there one day when I hired a sitter to watch my child at the water park area. BEST 8 hrs ever. I just swam and swam and swam and enjoyed the quiet and the relaxation.
Food at Cibalo Moon, outstanding. Grilled red fish. YUM. Buffet breakfast delicious and abundant. I had smoked salmon every morning.
Our "standard" room -- not very expensive at all -- big. king bed, sofa, chair and ottoman (really our own living room) bathroom also large and so well appointed. My 8 yr old was so happy to take a soaking tub after 4 days of sponge baths only (our tub/shower combo at Rancho Cortez didn't drain.)
I could really go on forever about the joys of this resort so I won't bore you, but if you are looking for fun filled days with your children with great rooms, food and staff --- this JW is for you.
I can't believe I'm saying this after our disaster at Rancho Cortez, but just this resort makes me want to plan another trip to Texas!! (San Antonio, by the way) is an EXCELLENT city. So much to see and do....FIESTA (a special week long celebration throughout the entire city) is incredible.
Enjoy!

Room Tip: Depends on what you enjoy. We had a room overlooking the bicycle/walking trails. Very pretty. Other...
Green Features: BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN! ASK AT CONCIERGE!!!!!! Recycling, hybrid car discounts, wind power, much much more.
1 Thank annall_13