“Excellent Weekend Getaway”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 5 May 2014

My husband and I just spent a night at the JW and had a wonderful time. This was our second time visiting the resort and we will most definitely be back. From the moment you pull up to the moment you check out the level of service and atmosphere is fantastic.

We were with another couple who reserved our rooms online so we were automatically given a king room and a double queen room right next to each other. My husband and I went to the front desk and asked that we get a king room instead of a queen and they immediately took care of us. They were even able to put us on the same floor near our friends.

The room was beautiful. We overlooked a lawn where they were setting up for a derby event. It was a gorgeous view. The only thing that I could not find that would have been useful was the do not disturb sign. Unless we missed it, we could not find it anywhere in our room. It would have come in handy Sunday morning when housekeeping was there to clean.

The pool complex is outstanding. The last time we visited you could not find a seat in the house because it was summer. This time, there were plenty of seats and shade available. We were in an area near the back of the complex behind the cabanas. This was nice because it was quiet and relaxing. There was a server that came by to deliver lunch to a couple near us but he never once looked up and made eye contact with the other couples in the area. We tried to flag him down but he was gone so fast we didn't even have a chance. It would be nice to have a server make rounds maybe every 20 minutes to see if anyone needs anything. If not, you had to walk all the way across the pool complex to the bar to get drinks and order food. Also, our first server at the pool bar was not very knowledgeable with the menu or what beers you had on tap. He was a little overwhelmed but overall took care of us.

We had appetizers at Cibolo Moon which were amazing and our server was outstanding. He took great care of us and had our food and drinks out quickly. He also made a few recommendations of things to try if we came back for dinner. We enjoyed music at the Crooked Branch along with our complimentary beverages and then made our way to Velocity. Our server at Velocity was by far the best server we had. I believe his name was Will. He was knowledgeable, friendly and very professional. Kuddos to him. Our brunch at Cibolo Moon was so so good.

Overall we had a wonderful time and a nice weekend getaway. I look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,599)

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Arrived yesterday with my husband - he is here for business - I joined him to be able to work in room on my computer while he is in meetings & get some sun in between.

Cannot get out of here quickly enough.

First thoughts upon arrival - beautiful hotel. Walk in lobby - smells fresh & clean - nice design details at entrance. Gentleman who checked us in - was top notch. Got to room - it is very nice!

From there...things start to go downhill. iPhone service terrible. Wireless network terrible. Tech department was less than thrilled to help - didn't know all the standards of the internet for this hotel and had me call front desk to ask a question he should have known the answer to. Calling again today. Texts won't work properly - which I depend on for my business.

We went down to the pool. They slap a 1" or so white paper band on your wrist to enter into the pool area. TACKY. The pool was dirty - trash in the water - trash around the landscape. (Good news for me - there was a $5 bill in the trash near us!) :) In order to enter the pool to cool off I had to walk around to find steps to enter where trash or bugs or leaves would not gather around my feet upon entering. Wait staff by pool spotty at best - some kind - but a general feel is that most have not had good training. Our waiter would bring water & drinks, not take away trash as we had empty glasses sitting around us, we had to ask him to take trash from our meal when we were done eating, then he would bring more water and leave old water glasses, never came with tab to sign out. They called out room after to clear it. Pina Colada was white - not one piece of fruit in it - tasted cheap & fake. The waiter didn't know the names of the fruit in the fruit cup - "that green one" - what's it called? No strawberries he said. (There were strawberries in fruit cup.) Guacamole was browning. He told us he'd bring new guacamole as they were making new in the kitchen. The new guac never arrived.

Then we went to dinner at the C...Moon restaurant. Beautiful restaurant on the inside. Investigating for outside dining - I was mortified. Wanted to eat outside to enjoy the warmth & the view. Bird poop everywhere. "Clean" tables were set with clean dishes but sticky food left behind on table tops. Bird doo on many chairs, sides of table and even the top of table where we were seated and the hostess paid no attention to this. (!!) Tried sitting several places - then finally went inside due to health concerns of eating outside with so much bird poop. I was fearful there could be some in the water glasses sitting out on the preset tables. Our waiter inside was very kind. Appetizer was delicious. Salad - good but not great. $30-39? filet mignon & baked potato - pathetic. Arrived to table barely warm. Meat was dry. Taste was not even average. As my husband said - meat would taste better at the "Outback." They took the latter off our bill.

One of our favorite things to do on these trips after my husband's business meetings are over is to watch good movies in the room - things that are in the theater currently - etc. There are NONE. We were told that Marriott's built since 2010 no longer have that service due to contract issues with their provider. HBO is available instead. TV remote works poorly.

Bed - average. Sheets have holes in them. Pillows are - meh.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank SusieQ2223
Amy W, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

It was a pleasure speaking with you last night. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with me. We take our customer's feedback very seriously and I will certainly follow up on everything we discussed. Thank you.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We visited the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort this year for a long Easter weekend. Aside from the slightly uncooperative weather, it really was a wonderful weekend! We are already planning a return trip this summer!

The resort is beautiful, but huge! The rooms are really nice and comfortable, and we had a corner room with a balcony overlooking the golf course. While everything about the resort is actually really great, the star of the show is the water park! We had an absolute blast on the slides and in the lazy river, and our youngest also really enjoyed the kids' pool and slides. As I mentioned, the weather wasn't perfect - in fact, we had a cool front come through right before Easter, so it was unseasonably cool considering it was late April. Thankfully, the pools are heated, though only to about 80 degrees (which is a bit chilly for me!). The only real problem with the pools is the lack of pool chairs. If they could find a way to add several hundred more chairs, it would be beyond perfect!

There are also activities galore for the whole family. While there, we enjoyed watching Frozen by the pool, having s'mores by the fire, learning about and petting the animals from Zoomagination, and much more. The kids also enjoyed spending every evening listening to music while running up and down the hills of the golf course after closing.

We booked a golf package for one of the nights and a spa package for the other night. My husband really enjoyed the golf and said the course was beautiful and challenging! I thought the spa was WONDERFUL! The whole experience in the spa was just perfect and I highly recommend it!

We also found the food to be very good. We had breakfast at Cibolo Moon the first morning and the buffet was delicious! We also splurged on the Easter Buffet and can honestly say it was one of the best buffets we've ever had!! The JW really paid attention to every detail on this brunch from the food to the décor to the entertainment. Our kids are still talking about the balloon animals (actually a Minion and a flower with lady bug) that balloon artist made for them.

We will absolutely return to this JW Marriott, hopefully this summer. I think it's also likely we'll return again for another holiday weekend, maybe even Easter next year. As I said, the resort is really big. On the bright side, we had a lot of fun exploring! The down side, though, is that it does take some time to figure out where you're going. By Sunday of our long weekend, we had it all figured out, though, and will know exactly where we're going next time!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kattimus
Reviewed 3 May 2014

like any JW, you'll find amenities, fun, and most of all, kind caring and helpful folks. the property is nice, big, and in an awesome location. but over priced, no free wifi in your room, and no gravy for your mashed potatoes. they have this way of calling your room to introduce your in-room dining attendant, which i have never had happen before. they called back twice to ask chicken gravy or brown gravy, i said brown, please, they said yes, i like brown gravy on mashed potatoes also. then called again to say no gravy at all. you know what you can always, and i mean always depend on at a JW, is the food is above average, and the beds are as well. the bed was average, the food was hit or miss, banquet food inedible, but the food at the moon restaurant was yummy. the staff seemed like they were over being "nice"...when i got out of the taxi, i said wow what a place! is this the JW? she said, the JW hill country resort and spa, you may have the wrong place. now, how many JW's are there in san antonio? tipped her 5 bucks and she didn't even hold the door for me with my luggage. actually no one held a door for me the entire stay. why aren't they manned, or are power doors? that i cannot answer. they also had parties outside my window every single night. so being in a remote, country area, you hear every single noise. the hooting birds i got used to, but the set up and break down of parties and those power scissors lifts got on my nerves.
the highlight of my trip? two beautiful angels named ariel and nadia, from in-room dining, who were the most caring and friendly people i have met in a while. they are truly worth asking for when getting room service!

Room Tip: don't get a room near the south lawn
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank danfotoman
toddw100, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Good Afternoon and thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback regarding your stay.

I am embarrassed about the situation regarding your In Room Dining experience and the gravy. I apologize that we did not do a thorough job in the training of our staff to deliver upon your request. We do in fact have Brown Gravy available and we also offer Cream Gravy which we serve with our awesome Chicken Fried Steak (in Cibolo Moon). Please rest assured that we will begin our retraining immediately so we might properly serve our future guests. We will also address your observations with our Arrival staff.

Your comments about Ariel and Nadia are greatly appreciated and we will publicly recognize and thank them.

Most important, we value your loyalty to Marriott and hope to welcome you back soon.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

As you drive through residential developments and roads under construction to get to the property, it is easy to question why such a enormous hotel would even be placed here. Indeed, when you get out of the car and look to the southwest, the view is cluttered by cement plants and various other distractions.

On the other hand, when you walk through the expansive lobby and head toward the back, the extraordinary vista shows the very best of the Texas Hill Country: rolling hills covered with trees and seasonal color, as far as the eye can see, separated only by one of the two Tour-level golf courses on the property.

The hotel itself is typical JW Marriott level quality. The hotel and convention space is Texas-big; give yourself plenty of time to get around.

Of the three resort hotels on the outskirts of San Antonio, the JW Marriott's quality and views separate it from La Cantera and the Hyatt Hill Country.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 April 2014

From the moment you arrive to when you leave, the staff is attentive...and I mean everyone! You are spoken to with a smile. If you look lost (which can happen in this huge facility) someone will volunteer to help you immediately. This is one of the most impressive properties I have ever had the privilege of using. I even got a note from the lady who cleaned the room thanking me for "being so tidy."

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James G
Reviewed 28 April 2014

The resort property is huge! It was a shame that it was too cold for swimming but perfect golf weather. The course was great and was the perfect way to spend the afternoon. The views f rom the course were spectacular. The restaurants and staff were superb for a resort property. My son was thoroughly impressed with the chicken fried steak and my husband loved the steak from restaurant at the golf steakhouse. The rooms were very well maintained and clean. I liked the personal note from the housekeeper. We don't usually leave tips for housekeeping, but we did this time.

Room Tip: Pool view was nice but it might get noisy when the weather gets better.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family