“Beautiful View”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We recently stayed one night for a family function. Our room had a balcony and overlooked the courtyard where there were several campfires going at night. There were families enjoying roasting marshmallows over the fire. The heated pool was very nice. The view of the hill country from our room was beautiful. The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable. The service at breakfast was not the best, but the food was good.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,620)

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Wanted to write about how disappointed we were with the JW Marriott for our Mother's Day stay. Since they have opened, we have visited the JW every year for Mother's day and it continues to get busier and busier. The issue we had this stay and each stay before, not just for Mothers Day, but other holiday/celebration weekends, is that they are VERY understaffed for the pool area. It is unacceptable to wait 1 hr to receive your drink order and 1.5 hrs for your food! They know that it will be a very busy weekend, especially now having the TRI the same weekend as Mother's day, and you continue to under staff the pool area. Also, it is wrong for guests to "save" their lounge chairs at 9am in morning with their towels and then not return until the afternoon. We witness this time and time again and the JW does nothing to stop it. We saw families with babies, etc., walking around and around the pool area looking for chairs to sit and could not find any....yet, there were plenty of chairs with folded towels on them with no guests. No saving of lounge chairs should be enforced at this resort and it is a shame that so many guests take advantage of this situation....because they can.
We were also disappointed in Cibolo Moon for dinner Sat. evening. Four of us at our table ordered a baked potato and when we received them, they were just slightly warm and not completely cooked. When my husband asked for a hot one, the waiter returned with a baked potato that looked "torched" on the outside but still not cooked inside. We love the Marriott brand, and every time we travel we make a point on staying at a Marriott in the city we visit. Our stays are always great and we hope it continues that way. There are just a few things the JW Marriott in San Antonio need to work on, and having enough staff to accommodate the large number of people at the pool is a huge one. Again, this is not the first time this has happened. It has happened each time we visit on a big weekend, we just always hope that on our next visit, it will have been fixed, but yet again, it never is.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Txgirltravels
toddw100, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Txgirltravels,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the challenges you had on your stay over Mother’s Day weekend. I am disappointed that your stay had the challenges that it did.

We did have a couple of significant areas of opportunity at the pool area during and particularly after the triathlon finished. We have had several detailed debriefs with our staff and more importantly the organizers of the event to identify where the pinch points and any missed details were. This will positively impact not only Mother’s Day and the triathlon next year but all of our major holiday weekends. Of note is that we have constructed a service bar area to increase the amount of bartenders and assist with pool server efficiency. We have also increased our number of summer staffing for this year starting on Memorial Day weekend. Next year we will have that staffing level ready for the triathlon event.

I wish we had delivered the service that has put us at the very top of the JW Brand for Overall Satisfaction and Staff service. Please accept my apologies for not delivering what we normally do and know we are working to improve in all areas, particularly on the busy holiday weekends.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We recently stayed at the JW for a convention(my husband's association) and it proved to be the perfect fit for a group of this size (close to 600). Our corner room was a bit of a walk from the elevator but the view (fountains and golf course) along with a little extra square footage was worth the walk. I was very impressed by the friendly staff who never failed to greet us with a smile and a little chit-chat no matter where we were around the property. My massage was divine (focused on scalp, feet and back-) as well as the spa pool and main pool area with 2 water slides and a lazy river. The workout facility is fabulous. The food was overall good, I enjoyed the restaurant at the Golf Club House the best- -the grilled cheese with apple and bacon was incredible. Our lunch on the last day at Cibolo Moon was mediocre and the queso dip at the Sport's Bar needs a makeover--I think it came out of a jar. The resort was a hit with our group, but is an excellent family resort too!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is a beautiful hotel, where I stayed for four nights for a conference. It is far from San Antonio proper. Be prepared for high taxi prices; it was roughly $45 from the airport. As there are no services within (nearby) walking distance, food prices at the restaurants are high. The food at Cibolo Moon is good but for that price, it should be great. My co-worker noted that the BBQ was dry, so disappointing for Texas. Oddly enough, the conference food was exceptional!

Staff are helpful & professional throughout. One person noticed that I was looking at a directory. He stopped to ask if he could help me to find something--very nice! The only unpleasant person I encountered was at the concierge desk.

The property is clean, well-maintained, and feels safe. It's a good place if you're on an expense account but I wouldn't stay here on my own dime.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Enjoyed this get away and especially the Oak Course. It has the ultimate experience for us with Golf for me and the Spa for my wife and a very nice pool for the kids. Its a great staycation location for us pending you can find a decent deal on the property. Its about to get REALLY FREAKIN hot here in Central Texas and if we can find some decent deals…..We will be back.

Also, EXCELLENT Breakfast taco's and one of the best hot dogs I have ever received at a golf course or anywhere else for that matter. Only thing that would make it better is offer some onions guys for the hot dogs.

Room Tip: Not sure there is a bad room
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The service and grounds were impeccable. The rooms really nice. My only suggestion would be to have more options for food that is quicker. Being on business travel, we didn't always have time to sit down for a meal. I loved the work out facility as well and the decor and art are stunning.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room with a sunset view if possible.
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I went with a large (1000+ people) corporate group. This was one of the nicer places I've been for a meeting. The grounds are amazing, and the pool is more of a water park; definitely a highlight. The exercise facility is well furnished, and kept in working condition (It was large, but got crowded after about 6 AM). Rooms are very well appointed, and extremely comfortable. It's pricey, but I could see coming here for a vacation, if I could be assured that there wasn't a large group staying - We took over much of the place, and I could see that some of the other guests did not appreciate it.