I've stayed in San Antonio several times, but never in the Hill Country. We usually travel with the children and stay closer to the River Walk area. I must say that I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed this resort. Though it was HUGE (other reviewers are not exaggerating when they say it rivals the size of a Vegas casino hotel). In fact, one of the only negatives comments I would have is that it is a bit difficult to find your way around the first few times.
The rooms are clean and comfortable with a lovely balcony with chairs. I would have liked a coffee maker in the room, but there is a Starbucks close to the lobby.
We played the golf course twice. It was in amazing shape (one week after the Vallero Texas Open). Definitely a VERY challenging course unless you are a seriously good golfer.
All of the staff we encountered were very helpful and polite.
While there we dined at the Cibolo Moon, Crooked Branch, 18 Oaks and High Velocity (and of course Starbucks). The service was excellent at all. We enjoyed Cibolo Moon the most as it had a much better selection. 18 Oaks (in the same building at the golf club house) was more upscale. The food was outstanding, but the selection is pretty limited if your are not a huge steak eater. High Velocity is your typical bar fare, but it is worth going there just to see the sports bar. I would love to be there during football season! Crooked Branch is better for just VERY limited (I think maybe even pre-made?) snacks. The drink selection and service is pretty good though and the atmosphere is nice.
Sadly, it was too cold for the pool, but I would love to come back another time with the children. They would love the lazy river and slides for sure.
The gym was very hot, but had a great selection of equipment. The exterior walls are all windows facing to a part of the garden area so it's nice to see out while you are working out. Their machines all have their own TVs and they offer complimentary headphones if you forget yours.
I absolutely loved the outdoor fireplaces and seating. It was so relaxing to have a drink by the fire in the evening. I also loved that the hotel was not so uptight as to make you put your drink in a plastic cup outside. (it's the little things in life - but who wants to drink wine out of a plastic cup)
The gift shops on site offer a really good selection. There is even a small golf apparel shop if you didn't have time to hit the pro shop.
Honestly, if you are looking for a place where you never have to leave the property - this is a place to consider. However, if you do, there is plenty near by to do and the city is very easy to get around.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa has firmly established itself as the city's premier luxury destination and the renowned resort in Texas' Hill Country. Rated 4-Diamonds by AAA, and just 12 miles from San Antonio International Airport (SAT), our luxury resort features the 36-hole TPC San Antonio golf course, home to the Valero Texas Open, Lantana Spa, a six acre water park and seven restaurants. Our restaurants are sure to please with Texas BBQ, genuine Mexican cuisine and private dining rooms for groups. Our rooms offer cozy beds, scenic views, soft robes & large bathrooms. Guests will also enjoy the open lobby with free Wi-Fi. Whether you're seeking a peaceful respite, productive conference or fun-filled family vacation, our luxurious Hill Country resort will not only exceed your expectations but redefine them altogether. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Ebookers, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Hotel San Antonio
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa Texas