“Luxury in our own backyard!”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Even without kids, this place was the bomb! Pure luxury all the way! Rooms are pricey but it is worth it. The spa is great. We had a couples massage. The Tranquility pool by the spa is also good for some quiet time. The water park was fabulous...even for kidless adults! Just needed a swim-up bar in the lazy river...although I'm sure that would cause congestion!!

Room Tip: Definitely get the view over the pool area.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqui B
Write a ReviewReviews (2,639)

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed two days at the resort. It was a great experience. I arrived in a motorcycle after a three hour ride so i "looked a little rought". Inital greeter was a little hesitant to welcome, but besides that it all went great. The Cibolo Moon Restaurant food was exquisite. Wine selections awesome! Location is great! Atmosphere was superb! Pool area was lots of fun and had a great bar service. The golf course is prime! Planning to go there again.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Obakeiro
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Ah this hotel gives me goose bumps, I used to live in San Antonio many years ago, and I still remember the first time I stayed at this hotel, if you want to call it that. I call it a resort where everyone will find something to do, Dad loves golfing, the girls loved the water and well I just like to be pampered when I can. You stepped into this hotel and you feel vibrant, you feel that you are invincible. Talk about welcoming and attentive the personnel. If you have kids, this is the place to be, they have this amazing water park with a lazy river, add the slides and well you go yourself a party for the whole family, I mean from 0 to 99. Everyone will enjoy the friendliness of the staff. But its about lots more than that, they just make you feel that you belong, just like family, and you are so very welcomed to come and go, but knowing that when you do return, you then just feel so good.

Room Tip: Don't think about this one, it's a no brainer, just go with the flow, bring the whole family...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank axxiefox
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Abdolutely love this beautiful hill country retreat. Reminds me of a mini Gaylord Texan Resort. Has all the amenities for a great family stay. Very family friendly. We also saw racoons, squirrels, & deer on our morning walk on the trail. Kids had a blast on the lazy river & water slide. Looking forward to going back.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Kaylanmommy
Reviewed 22 June 2014

This is a 5 star facility that caters to conference goers in a way that allows their families to have a blast during the day, on site.

I am labeling this as a business trip, but in this case, I was my wife's guest on HER business trip. We both enjoyed our stay, and will probably come back. The views herein are purely my own.

Overall, I liked having the run of this friendly place while my wife was listening to blowhards other than her husband.

the good stuff:
- The grounds are beautiful.
- They have a decent but smallish-for-this-size hotel workout room available for everyone
- For a bit extra, they also have a very good spa with lots of treatment rooms, an upscale exercise room, and a private adult pool.
- There are several activities for families every day.
- the conference area is large, with just enough separation from the hotel lobby for conference goers not to be disturbed by those just having fun, but still only a 2 minute indoor walk away. Clever, and I'll suggest this area for a future gathering at my own company.
- Excellent golf lessons available, though at about two or three times the price I would get charged at home. Can't speak about the golf course itself, because I didn't advance enough after my first-ever lesson. Another reason to return.
- Comfortable room
- Friendly and well trained staff

The downside:
- The kitchen seems to follow a formula, vs. having an intrinsic knowledge of how to create meals worthy of the gourmet prices being charged.
- $10.50 for Jack Daniels on ice?? $14 for mediocre margaritas? You should be ashamed.
- entertainment on weekends was good, but a bit too intrusive if you just wanted a quiet (yet overpriced) drink.
- the parking lot is terraced, which I admit is nicer than a flat expanse of asphalt, but one can't find a spot easily. Covered parking is only for valet.
- the catered food at the conference was worthy of a 2-star joint at home
- adult-oriented activities are not so identified, so I missed a few options in which I would have been interested.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the back (golf course), though the facility is far enough from San Antonio tha...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank JHelf
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Very average hotel and VERY far from the downtown or riverwalk. The hotel is for spa couples or families wanting to vacation away from town. it does have a large conference facility so perhaps suitable for that too. but not for tourists or people wanting to spend anytime downtown near the river walk. the trip from the airport costs $40 as well as to downtown in a cab.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank skhemka
Reviewed 20 June 2014

We stayed Fri & Sat night, the weekend the schools let out. It was very busy, so choose when you go carefully, I would imagine mid-week would be quieter. We had no problem getting a table in the restaurant to eat despite how busy the hotel, in fact the only way it really impacted our stay was getting a seat at the pool. I heard a few guests say that people were down there first thing 'reserving' their chairs with towels, hate that, it's very selfish behavior. Also when you leave put your towel in the bin provided so other people know the chair is available. Couldn't even get into the adult pool, not a spare chair in sight.

Anyway our double room was great, big bathroom with bath and separate shower, mini fridge to keep drinks cold, balcony overlooking the wedding garden.

We bought a day pass to the spa for $15 which gave us access to the spa pool, steam room, sauna, jacuzzi and inhalation room, it was very peaceful and quiet, the obviously don't overbook.

We ate at Cibolo Moon and thoroughly enjoyed it, grabbed a quick bite at Starbucks (big queue in the morning be warned).

We normally head to a smaller resort/hotel but the hustle and bustle of this large property didn't feel overwhelming. Would maybe just go at a quieter time next time to enjoy the pool more.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family