I had high expectations for this resort after reading reviews.
We arrived on a week-day afternoon for a long weekend. The valet area was busy but we got into the lobby quickly.
Even though we arrived before check-in time at 4 pm, there was a large group coming in at the same time. I expected to wait but the check-in process was smooth and easy. We got a map of the property, a list of activities, and the keys to our room.
It took some time for our bags to get to us, but that was really the only <small> issue during our stay. We had connecting rooms, each with a balcony. For families, you'll be happy to know that there is an empty fridge in each room, and both a shower and a separate bath tub. Our room was just a few doors down from the ice/vending area (behind a closed door) and the elevators but we could not hear any ambient noise from the hallways.
We ate at the sports bar, High Velocity, for dinner. The children's portions are large and the food was good. The highlight of our evenings was making s'mores out by the fire pit behind the pool area. The staff does most of the work - you just get your marshmallow as toasted as you want, and they do the rest!
The weekend evenings were filled with music on the lawn, a JW Marriott food truck serving items like carrot cake whoopie pies and barbeque platters.
We had fabulous meals at Cibolo Moon. I don't know if this is the norm, but kids under 4 eat free on the breakfast and dinner buffet, which was a big deal for our group! The Friday night buffet included a carving station, fried chicken, delicious sides and freshly baked biscuits with unique items to try like pickled okra, apple and peach butters, and candied jalapenos.
Breakfast was also great and there is special pricing for "early birds". The service was friendly without being pushy, attentive without hovering, and the meal was perfectly paced.
The resort fee includes internet access, golf club storage, and other items including two welcome cocktails at the downstairs bar. We learned quite a bit about the resort from the bartenders - they were very engaging. The lobby area was filled with kids, adults, convention attendees, couples - it was a very chill atmosphere. Outside on the patio, families lounged on the outdoor couches and rocked in the carved rocking chairs while a country band played as the sun set. It was really such a picturesque scene.
There is a full slate of activities during the day. From visiting animals to painting, to make your own ice cream. Some of these do cost, but most are free. The schedule included a dive-in movie in the pool on Friday night, family relays and bingo games, organic garden tours, the ping-pong table... and let's not forget the awesome water slides!
We hung out around the children's splash area with the youngest kids in our group. It ranges from 6 inches to 2 feet deep, with sprayers and slides that allow them to play independently. You can also find a few special water cannons and splash buckets to aim at people as they pass by on the lazy river! We did notice that some of the chairs were very dirty - lots of bird residue, dirt, and sticky spots. The seating area around the children's pool is muddy from the sprayer run-off. Several of the chairs were never used because they were sitting in the mud/mulch area.
All guests must get a wristband when you enter the pool area each day. On weekends, I would suggest getting up early to reserve your chairs. On Thursday, we walked in at 9 am and had our choice of seats. Friday and Saturday, most of the chairs were taken by 8:45 am and they even put out additional folding chairs! The poolside cafe has a delicious marinated chicken sandwich, and you can also ask for different side items to substitute for french fries. Keep in mind that the pool does not allow outside coolers.
The staff was very helpful and friendly. They all seem to truly enjoy working at the resort. We had intentions of leaving to find other restaurants and activities, but once we got there, we didn't leave until check out!
Everyone in our group really loved the accommodations, resort amenities, and the well-manicured grounds. Also, I should note that I used Marriott reward points and thought we might experience certain treatment since we were technically not "paying" guests but in fact, it felt like we received special treatment during our entire stay! I hope we can return soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa has firmly established itself as the city's premier luxury destination and the renowned resort in Texas' Hill Country. Rated 4-Diamonds by AAA, and just 12 miles from San Antonio International Airport (SAT), our luxury resort in San Antonio, Texas features the 36-hole TPC San Antonio golf course, home to the Valero Texas Open, Lantana Spa, a six acre water park and seven restaurants. Our rooms offer cozy beds, scenic views, soft robes & large bathrooms. Guests will also enjoy the open lobby with free Wi-Fi. Whether you're seeking a peaceful respite, productive conference or fun-filled family vacation, our luxurious Hill Country resort will not only exceed your expectations but redefine them altogether. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Marriott, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort And Spa
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Hotel San Antonio
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa Texas