“A true resort experience”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had high expectations for this resort after reading reviews.
We arrived on a week-day afternoon for a long weekend. The valet area was busy but we got into the lobby quickly.
Even though we arrived before check-in time at 4 pm, there was a large group coming in at the same time. I expected to wait but the check-in process was smooth and easy. We got a map of the property, a list of activities, and the keys to our room.
It took some time for our bags to get to us, but that was really the only <small> issue during our stay. We had connecting rooms, each with a balcony. For families, you'll be happy to know that there is an empty fridge in each room, and both a shower and a separate bath tub. Our room was just a few doors down from the ice/vending area (behind a closed door) and the elevators but we could not hear any ambient noise from the hallways.
We ate at the sports bar, High Velocity, for dinner. The children's portions are large and the food was good. The highlight of our evenings was making s'mores out by the fire pit behind the pool area. The staff does most of the work - you just get your marshmallow as toasted as you want, and they do the rest!
The weekend evenings were filled with music on the lawn, a JW Marriott food truck serving items like carrot cake whoopie pies and barbeque platters.
We had fabulous meals at Cibolo Moon. I don't know if this is the norm, but kids under 4 eat free on the breakfast and dinner buffet, which was a big deal for our group! The Friday night buffet included a carving station, fried chicken, delicious sides and freshly baked biscuits with unique items to try like pickled okra, apple and peach butters, and candied jalapenos.
Breakfast was also great and there is special pricing for "early birds". The service was friendly without being pushy, attentive without hovering, and the meal was perfectly paced.
The resort fee includes internet access, golf club storage, and other items including two welcome cocktails at the downstairs bar. We learned quite a bit about the resort from the bartenders - they were very engaging. The lobby area was filled with kids, adults, convention attendees, couples - it was a very chill atmosphere. Outside on the patio, families lounged on the outdoor couches and rocked in the carved rocking chairs while a country band played as the sun set. It was really such a picturesque scene.
There is a full slate of activities during the day. From visiting animals to painting, to make your own ice cream. Some of these do cost, but most are free. The schedule included a dive-in movie in the pool on Friday night, family relays and bingo games, organic garden tours, the ping-pong table... and let's not forget the awesome water slides!
We hung out around the children's splash area with the youngest kids in our group. It ranges from 6 inches to 2 feet deep, with sprayers and slides that allow them to play independently. You can also find a few special water cannons and splash buckets to aim at people as they pass by on the lazy river! We did notice that some of the chairs were very dirty - lots of bird residue, dirt, and sticky spots. The seating area around the children's pool is muddy from the sprayer run-off. Several of the chairs were never used because they were sitting in the mud/mulch area.
All guests must get a wristband when you enter the pool area each day. On weekends, I would suggest getting up early to reserve your chairs. On Thursday, we walked in at 9 am and had our choice of seats. Friday and Saturday, most of the chairs were taken by 8:45 am and they even put out additional folding chairs! The poolside cafe has a delicious marinated chicken sandwich, and you can also ask for different side items to substitute for french fries. Keep in mind that the pool does not allow outside coolers.
The staff was very helpful and friendly. They all seem to truly enjoy working at the resort. We had intentions of leaving to find other restaurants and activities, but once we got there, we didn't leave until check out!
Everyone in our group really loved the accommodations, resort amenities, and the well-manicured grounds. Also, I should note that I used Marriott reward points and thought we might experience certain treatment since we were technically not "paying" guests but in fact, it felt like we received special treatment during our entire stay! I hope we can return soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank katiey424
Write a ReviewReviews (2,620)

Reviewed 5 August 2014

It was our annual womens' weekend - 20th year - and we decided to stay in San Antonio and go to the JW for the weekend. We were all concerned about the million children everywhere, but I have to tell you, the Adults Only pool is truly ADULTS ONLY. We were able to lay pool side, swim, take in the gorgeous view, listen to great music, talk to each other, and just RELAX. The million children were riding the lazy river and water chutes, having the time of their lives I'm sure, but were no where to be seen in the ADULTS ONLY pool. And, bonus! - the Restaurant Manager for Rivertop Grill, Mr. Mike Sutton, personally made sure we ladies (and all of the other adults in the ADULTS ONLY pool) were all well taken care of by wait staff. The bar serves ice cold beer, and FAB Bloody Marys, and the food is excellent and plenty. Highly recommend the burger! Yum! But, you must get down to the ADULTS ONLY pool early if you want a lounge chair. It's not a big pool like the main one, and the chairs go quickly. We went down to start our day about 10:15 a.m. Already, most of the loungers were taken. We put our stuff down, and then went to find the bar for a bloody mary. Unfortunately, Rivertop Grill does not open until 11 a.m. I guess the look of disappointment on our faces was too much, and Mr. Mike Sutton took it upon himself to go into the bar, and make bloody marys for us! Now, you talk about outstanding service! No where else does that. He came around to check on everyone, and was very helpful with dinner reservations for that evening. His willingness to go past simple service, and instead deliver EXTRAORDINARY service was very much appreciated by our entire group. His kindness to a bunch of old ladies was indeed a highlight to our weekend. And, if you go, you MUST stop in at the tequila bar and say hello to Adam. He introduced us to his own concoctions of tequila, fruits, and jalapaneos. Sounds yuck, but WAY wonderful! Very enjoyed prelude to our dinner. Last comment - try to get a room on the ground floor with a patio, on the far side of the resort. Very quiet, landscaping is beautiful, and is a short walk to the ADULTS ONLY pool. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Ground floor, with patio - has table and a couple of chairs - on far side of resort, away from windi...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank sherrin61
Reviewed 5 August 2014

I visited this property for a conference recently and had a largely enjoyable experience. It's a beautiful hotel out in the hill country of San Antonio. That being said, you'll want to know a few things:

1. It's about $70 to get here via cab. You're out in the boonies. Highly recommend a car for off-property activities.

2. There are only a couple of convenient restaurants on the property, so it's easy to get dining fatigue very quickly. Again, having a car to go offsite is a bonus here.

3. The hotel's lobby & bar area are very open and bright with lots of nooks and crannies to sit and read a book, play pool, etc.

4. Surprisingly, the hallways are loud here! I didn't hear anything from my neighboring rooms, but any noise in the hallway seemed to be amplified in my room.

5. The hotel has a great golf course (though I didn't indulge) and a great lazy pool/water park.

If you find yourself in San Antonio with an opportunity to stay here, you should find it very comfortable.

Room Tip: It's a sprawling property. Try to get a room near the "core" to have easy access to co...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank OrangeHB
Reviewed 5 August 2014

The resort is a great property. Overall service at the location is great from the time you check in till the time you check out. Carlos was great in the lobby. Going in the summer with the family was a mistake. I have three daughters in their 20s and they could not tolerate the number of screaming children at the resort. We were warned that the property was 80% filled with families for the weekend that we went to the property (July 2014). The number of children running around the hotel till midnight and the number of unattended children at the pool was unbearable.
The women went to the Lantana Spa and had a very relaxing day getting massages and sitting by the spa pool (adults only). That was enjoyable. While they were at the pool, one of my daughters and myself went to the resort pool at around 11:30 AM. We found out that was a big mistake. We could not find a single place to sit. We walked all the areas and could not find an area that was available. The adult pool is much too small for a resort this size and it is right next to the water slides. It is not a quiet area. It was very disappointing that we could not enjoy the pool at all. The staff was handing out folding chairs for people to sit on. Now that was a relaxing thought. Suggestion to resort management is to monitor and pick up towels that are left unattended for a period of time. There was no evidence of pool staff cleaning up towels left on the lounges.
The fitness center was well set up and had new equipment. Walking around the resort was enjoyable.
Dinner at the Cibolo Moon was average. We tried to make reservations at 7PM but they said no reservations were available. We were in the lounge and I walked over at 6:45PM and they said we could sit down now. I asked again for a reservation at 7PM and they said they could not make a reservation at that time because they had used up all their allotted reservations and could not guarantee a table. Very strange procedure. As stated, the menu was limited and the meals we ate were ok. Two of us had the Bison Meatloaf and it was well prepared. For some reason they put cheese on the meatloaf and ketchup. If the meatloaf is that good, it does not need cheese and ketchup on the meat.
We will not go back to this resort in the summer until we have some grandchildren to take advantage of the hotel. For a JW Marriott, it reminded me more of a Marriott Vacation Club in Disneyworld. If you are traveling there without children, my suggestion is to book in advance spa passes at the Lantana Spa and eat dinner off the resort. There are many excellent restaurants to choose from on 1604 Loop.

Room Tip: Select a room on a higher floor, facing the golf course and on the end away from the elevator. It i...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JMP2022
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband just attended a conference and I went along to take a breather from some daunting care giving challenges and stress. I was going to stay home and am I glad I decided to still go with him. To sum it up this JW is simply incredible! Impeccable service, sparkling clean, beautiful interiors and exterior surroundings and grounds and outstanding food. I want to return to JW again and again and again and can't tell you how wonderfully professional, kind, courteous and attentive the staff here is from the person greeting you all the way through. Randie originally from NJ is a special person and his kind help will never be forgotten - thank you dear Randie! Do not miss Cibolo Moon - best food I think I have ever eaten - the chef is creative and offers fresh, locally source in season choices and you get what you pay for and beyond in quality, taste and professional service. I recommend this location to anyone who needs to organize a professional conference or who needs to simply recharge their batteries over a long weekend. You will be glad you did and my hope is that I win the lottery and can live there one day:) Thanks JW for an awesome stay and for renewing the concept of customer service and exceptional guest treatment - I will be back!

Room Tip: We stayed overlooking the garden area in front of the incredible pool - there is lively action durin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank NCelini
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great place to stay to get away and relax. The staff is very attentive and goes out of their way to ensure you have a great experience.

As stated earlier the resort is geared more toward families during the summer. That being said, the room areas were very quiet in the evenings and if you wake up early it is quiet on the grounds as well.

I would definitely go back again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have visited many first class hotels, but this JW Marriott really stood out. First, the customer service was first rate in every way-- when I arrived, the front desk want out of there way to provide me with the exact room I requested-- overlooking the pool on a high floor. They gave me a suite with a great view to accommodate my request. From that point, I felt the staff was willing to bend over backwards to accommodate my stay-- in the bars, restaurants and grounds, the staff said "good morning", "good afternoon" and "can I get anything for you". They treated me like they really appreciated my businesses-- which really meant a lot.

Second, the grounds are in meticulous condition, clean, well manicured grounds, clean rooms and spotless restaurants. I felt like they really cared about the property and that the staff took pride in keeping things first rate.

Third, the food and beverage people offered an outstanding experience-- farm fresh eggs, oatmeal, starbucks coffee, you name it, they tried to offer it to you. Simply put, I felt it was an outstanding value at a great price.

Finally, the lazy river was a great pool experience. Floating down the river offered a very relaxing experience. I could spend the entire day with a drink and the lazy river.

While the hotel is about twenty miles from San Antonio, I felt the outstanding facility made up for it. I had no interest in visiting San Antonio after spending time at this facility.

I strongly recommend and wish I could go back. Thanks JW MArriot!

Room Tip: take a room overlooking the pool--- very cool view. AC seemed to work fine.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business