Let me start off by saying that the resort was very nicely appointed and the customer service was above average. The main issue we had with our stay surrounded the number of unattended children running amok through all areas of the resort. Not the resort's fault...that's the parent's responsibility. We were in a very large group of 12 (7 adults, 2 teens (17 and 16), and 3 children (9,9,1), so we had kids with us. However, as I sat at the main pool (not the adult) I counted the ratio of kids to adults and the math just didn't ever add up. There was consistently 4 kids per adult which averages to 8 kids per family??? What's in the water in Texas??? Very odd, but perhaps that's a result of parents sending their kids to pool and going to spa or golfing or adult pool. End result was a very large group of misbehaved kids between 8-13. Throwing footballs and hitting people in the pool, squirting waiters and other adults 2 rows away from the pool, taking their food/drinks into the pool and spilling them, climbing over other people's lounge chairs to get in/out of the pool. And it didn't stop at the pool. Took a walk one evening with the wife and saw a reenactment of that bar scene from Gremlins over and over. Unattended kids had taken over the workout room and were climbing all over the equipment, etc., using the pool cues like hockey sticks and playing "pool-hockey" at the lobby bar, getting inside the fountain at the lobby bar, pushing every button on all the elevators, running up and down every hall, etc. No exaggeration...where are the parents? Now to be fair, there were some well-behaved kids with their parents, but I saw the took of disbelief in their eyes too as to the complete wanton behavior being displayed. We ALWAYS take our kids on vacation and I have never experienced blatant behavior like this (even at Disney, Atlantis, etc).
Rooms are nice, although the "full" beds are really small...so if you and your wife are used to a King or Queen then you may be better off with the King room + sofa sleeper rather than 2 full beds. Noise from hall comes right through doors.
Cibolo Moon breakfast buffet was $23 pp, but was good...same thing though as you have to deal with kids running amok in there and cutting lines, spilling, wasting food. Decent food out at Rivertop at pool.
Parking is tough in that all the spaces fill up on weekends and you are left with valet as only option. Valet was VERY fast and convenient (but $39/day).
Got tip from bellman on 1st day that pool opens at 8am and there would be over 100 people in line at 8am, so best to get there early. Got there at 730am and waited 1/2-hr every day for it to open. With large group we would have never gotten 12 chairs together otherwise. On Sat/Sun, ALL chairs were gone by 9:30am and they handed out folding chairs (many disappointed folks). During mid-week it slowed down a lot and chairs on the outer edge were still open at 11am. As a side note, I was not impressed with the cleanliness of the pool chairs, pool itself and the pool area. They have a nightly movie at the pool that the "Gremlins" would run amok at and I'm not sure they cleaned AFTER that before the 8am pool opening. I did see staff picking up trash mid-day, but as previously mentioned...with so many kids running around they could hardly keep up.
Got email one week before stay to reserve Cabanas early. Emailed right away and was told they were sold out for our entire week of stay. Sat next to a guy at pool who called 6 weeks ahead and was told they were all booked. 5 days at pool and every day at least 2 to 3 went unused...kind of weird. I know they had a long waitlist, but it's odd someone would reserve that far in advance and pay and then not use. They seemed ok looking but real value would have been not having to wait every day from 7:30am to get pool-front loungers.
Pool service was very good, but bar doesn't open till 11am. So if you go to pool at 8am, you will be there 3hrs before any service. NO outside coolers or food/beverages strictly enforced. They do have coolers of icewater available with small plastic cups...tip, bring your own water bottle and fill it up. Drink quality was sub-par. I had Bloody Mary's and Long Island Ice Teas but gave up and just went with Miller Lite and Coors Light. Buckets of beer on ice worked well to have cold beer when you wanted it.
I use TripAdvisor for all my travel and somehow never saw any reviews mentioning the kid issues at this resort. Now that I'm back I saw one from earlier this week. Maybe the issue was localized to this time of year or something? Overall, the resort is nice and the staff were really good...just too bad the "Gremlins" had to ruin such a nice place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa has firmly established itself as the city's premier luxury destination and the renowned resort in Texas' Hill Country. Rated 4-Diamonds by AAA, and just 12 miles from San Antonio International Airport (SAT), our luxury resort features the 36-hole TPC San Antonio golf course, home to the Valero Texas Open, Lantana Spa, a six acre water park and seven restaurants. Our restaurants are sure to please with Texas BBQ, genuine Mexican cuisine and private dining rooms for groups. Our rooms offer cozy beds, scenic views, soft robes & large bathrooms. Guests will also enjoy the open lobby with free Wi-Fi. Whether you're seeking a peaceful respite, productive conference or fun-filled family vacation, our luxurious Hill Country resort will not only exceed your expectations but redefine them altogether. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, TravelUp, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Hotel San Antonio
- Jw Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort And Spa
- JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa Texas