“A great family experience!”

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa
Ranked #25 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Outstanding resort. So many things to keep kids busy. Parked the jeep and didn't see it again for 4 days. With or without kids this resort is top notch. Friendly staff with the best customer service. Ready to go again. Employees are all smiles and enjoy going to work. If you go, you will not regret it.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Popeye2007
Write a ReviewReviews (2,639)

Reviewed 7 August 2014

I recently stayed here with my hubby and two kids (ages 6 and 10). We had a great time. The waterpark was so much fun! We rode the slides over and over......... The lines move quickly - many times there was no wait. I would definitely suggest that you take water shoes!! They are a must!! It was pretty busy on Saturday, especially between 10 and 3, but still wasn't too bad. Wednesday was the least crowded day.
We loved the activities for the kids: cookie decorating, rubber ducky race, s'mores (watch out for goofballs who fling flaming marshmallows), movies in the pool at night, hamster ball, zoo animals visit, checkers in the lobby and much more.
We ate every breakfast and dinner in Cibolo Moon. It was fantastic. Fabulous Breakfast and dinner buffets. We ate off of the menu a couple of times. Great food, wonderful service, and great atmosphere. The price wasn't too bad. You get a $4 per person discount if you eat the breakfast buffet between 6am and 8am and dinner between 5pm and 6pm.
Great hotel, very nice and very clean. Great staff: lifeguards, servers, housekeeping, front desk, bellmen.... Everyone was really nice and helpful. I can't think of one single bad thing to say about this hotel or any member of the staff.
We got a great deal by clicking on the "My dates are Flexible" box on their reservation website for a calendar of lowest prices. If your dates are flexible, click on that box to see the calendar - we got a great rate!!
In close proximity to Schlitterbahn, Sea World and the Riverwalk.
We will absolutely be back!

1  Thank ILovetoTravelTexas
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Let me start off by saying that the resort was very nicely appointed and the customer service was above average. The main issue we had with our stay surrounded the number of unattended children running amok through all areas of the resort. Not the resort's fault...that's the parent's responsibility. We were in a very large group of 12 (7 adults, 2 teens (17 and 16), and 3 children (9,9,1), so we had kids with us. However, as I sat at the main pool (not the adult) I counted the ratio of kids to adults and the math just didn't ever add up. There was consistently 4 kids per adult which averages to 8 kids per family??? What's in the water in Texas??? Very odd, but perhaps that's a result of parents sending their kids to pool and going to spa or golfing or adult pool. End result was a very large group of misbehaved kids between 8-13. Throwing footballs and hitting people in the pool, squirting waiters and other adults 2 rows away from the pool, taking their food/drinks into the pool and spilling them, climbing over other people's lounge chairs to get in/out of the pool. And it didn't stop at the pool. Took a walk one evening with the wife and saw a reenactment of that bar scene from Gremlins over and over. Unattended kids had taken over the workout room and were climbing all over the equipment, etc., using the pool cues like hockey sticks and playing "pool-hockey" at the lobby bar, getting inside the fountain at the lobby bar, pushing every button on all the elevators, running up and down every hall, etc. No exaggeration...where are the parents? Now to be fair, there were some well-behaved kids with their parents, but I saw the took of disbelief in their eyes too as to the complete wanton behavior being displayed. We ALWAYS take our kids on vacation and I have never experienced blatant behavior like this (even at Disney, Atlantis, etc).

Rooms:
Rooms are nice, although the "full" beds are really small...so if you and your wife are used to a King or Queen then you may be better off with the King room + sofa sleeper rather than 2 full beds. Noise from hall comes right through doors.

Food:
Cibolo Moon breakfast buffet was $23 pp, but was good...same thing though as you have to deal with kids running amok in there and cutting lines, spilling, wasting food. Decent food out at Rivertop at pool.

Parking:
Parking is tough in that all the spaces fill up on weekends and you are left with valet as only option. Valet was VERY fast and convenient (but $39/day).

Pool Chairs:
Got tip from bellman on 1st day that pool opens at 8am and there would be over 100 people in line at 8am, so best to get there early. Got there at 730am and waited 1/2-hr every day for it to open. With large group we would have never gotten 12 chairs together otherwise. On Sat/Sun, ALL chairs were gone by 9:30am and they handed out folding chairs (many disappointed folks). During mid-week it slowed down a lot and chairs on the outer edge were still open at 11am. As a side note, I was not impressed with the cleanliness of the pool chairs, pool itself and the pool area. They have a nightly movie at the pool that the "Gremlins" would run amok at and I'm not sure they cleaned AFTER that before the 8am pool opening. I did see staff picking up trash mid-day, but as previously mentioned...with so many kids running around they could hardly keep up.

Pool Cabanas:
Got email one week before stay to reserve Cabanas early. Emailed right away and was told they were sold out for our entire week of stay. Sat next to a guy at pool who called 6 weeks ahead and was told they were all booked. 5 days at pool and every day at least 2 to 3 went unused...kind of weird. I know they had a long waitlist, but it's odd someone would reserve that far in advance and pay and then not use. They seemed ok looking but real value would have been not having to wait every day from 7:30am to get pool-front loungers.

Pool Service:
Pool service was very good, but bar doesn't open till 11am. So if you go to pool at 8am, you will be there 3hrs before any service. NO outside coolers or food/beverages strictly enforced. They do have coolers of icewater available with small plastic cups...tip, bring your own water bottle and fill it up. Drink quality was sub-par. I had Bloody Mary's and Long Island Ice Teas but gave up and just went with Miller Lite and Coors Light. Buckets of beer on ice worked well to have cold beer when you wanted it.

I use TripAdvisor for all my travel and somehow never saw any reviews mentioning the kid issues at this resort. Now that I'm back I saw one from earlier this week. Maybe the issue was localized to this time of year or something? Overall, the resort is nice and the staff were really good...just too bad the "Gremlins" had to ruin such a nice place.

Room Tip: High floor away from elevator
4  Thank GoldenDoc
toddw100, Manager at JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Good Morning GoldenDoc and thank you for the detailed review of our Resort. We appreciate your positive comments about our staff service, Cibolo Moon Breakfast (continues to be one of our guest favorites), and the Valet and Pool service. I would like to apologize that the cleanliness of our Pool chairs and Pool area was not as it should be. I also agree with you that our Pool bar opening hour should be adjusted to open earlier during our peak leisure guest weekends. As your experience indicates during the summer months we have become a very popular destination for Texas families looking for a Staycation within driving distance. You will find on any weekend from Memorial Day through Labor Day that we have our highest demand, most often sold out with families who come for our River Bluffs Water experience which is a most unique and outstanding feature of our Resort. Many of our family guests are here for thier 4th and 5th visit. During these very busy days, we do offer many other activities outside of the pool area for Children of all ages and we continue to find and try new experiences for our guests enjoyment. Based upon your comments, please rest assured that our 100+ managers and supervisors will work hard to do better to provide all of our guests with an outstanding experience, including keeping the property very clean, well maintained, and enforcing rules as relates to noise, safety, and being respectful of others and their experience. Thank you again for your comments, and as a side note, please be aware that our River Bluffs Water experience is open all year round, with the water temperatures heated to 82 degrees as we continue to welcome leisure guests in the Fall, Winter, and Spring.

Reviewed 7 August 2014

Stayed at the resort for a week during a business convention on site. Used the meeting and other facilities and played a round of golf as well.

SERVICE: Excellent. I will say these are some of the nicest staff members I've engaged with at all the various JW properties I've stayed. The only exception were some of the bar servers who were heard complaining about the lack of high tips. But otherwise excellent service overall - especially the front desk and pool area.

FACILITIES: The lazy river and water slides are excellent. It's a unique experience that all ages loved. The pool service a bit slow but very friendly and fun. This is great for kids during the day and the adult pool at night is a nice change as well. Excellent! The meeting rooms were very spacious and the hotel food provided very good. Golf courses are A1 and excellent support services.

RESTAURANTS ON SITE: Not a large choice - you have the main restaurant which is fairly expensive and adequate in quality plus a sports grill which is not too bad. There's also a nice restaurant at the clubhouse which I think has the best food at the resort. At other JW's it seems they have somewhat more options. There are other places to eat close by the resort but you will need a car to get there. One of the Mexican restaurants sends a shuttle over on demand and it's not bad.

ROOMS: Rooms were clean, spacious and very comfortable - housecleaning staff is excellent.

OVERALL VALUE: I stayed here for a convention on site so I don't know if I'd stay here just for fun if given the chance due to the high cost but it seems like it would be a fun weekend stay for locals or if just passing thru San Antonio.

But compared to other JW's in the system - I'd say this is one of my favorites.

Room Tip: Ask for a full balcony room on a high floor to take advantage of the night breeze.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I normally do not take the time to write a review after our vacation, but the service at the JW Marriott in San Antonio was worth taking the time to share. Our family has stayed in numerous hotels from the Ritz Carlton in New York city to the Hyatt in the Grand Caymans, and I can honestly say the JW Marriott was absolutely one of the cleanest and most organized place we have stayed while on vacation. They maintain the grounds very well. Lots of activities for children, breath taking view with no buildings within miles, and the staff is friendly and takes the time to listen and assist with questions or concerns you might have. Definitely worth the price!

Room Tip: Our room over looked the water slides! 4th floor close to the stairs
2  Thank Shelly S
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Thanks to my in-laws for letting us stay at such a wonderful resort for a night! My daughters (ages 10 & 12) wanted to stay there forever! We ate at Cibolo Moon for breakfast brunch. Very good foods & a huge selection to chose from. Had dinner at High Velocity. One dessert plate is plenty for 2 people. Best to eat there at night & take your dessert outside on the patio & sit under the stars! Ate lunch at Rivertop Grill while spending the day in the water. Our waitress, Connor, was just lovable as can be. It's great to meet people who love their job. For a family of four a majority of our meals ran $70. It was worth it though. After all the swimming - you'll be hungry!
We all loved the swimming areas & eating s'mores during early evening. Walk towards the golf course behind the pool fence & there is a large fire pit. Staff workers are ready with a stick & marshmallow. Once you cook it return to the workers & they have your graham cracker & chocolate ready. The girls didn't take part in any classes that they offer. We were having too much fun swimming together. My husband & I did sneak off to the adult pool for a bit. Just lovely!! It's a large eternity pool overlooking the golf course. We could have stayed there all day just staring at the hill country scenery.
I highly recommend getting connecting rooms for a family of four. The beds are full size. We were on the 3rd floor with connecting rooms. Our king bedroom was amazing!!!! We had a living room, foyer w/ fridge, a huge bathroom with separate tub & shower & closed door toilet room. Plus our balcony was twice the size as the other room. The girls room had 2 full beds. Their bathroom was also large as it had a shower w/ separate tub. The hotel was so clean & everyone there is ready to make your stay a grand one.
It was definitely a sweet treat to visit this resort.

Room Tip: Full beds are small unless you like to cuddle. Consider getting two rooms if there are 4 people or a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank KellyJoJo13
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed at the JW Marriott while on business, and have to say that staff were perfect. From the moment I pulled in they were professional and friendly, and even better than expected. My room was large, the beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was awesome. This did feel a little like a generic room, but I enjoyed it. I was facing the golf course, and recommend that. The pool area always looked crowded, but had I been traveling with kids, I think they would have had a blast. I decided to explore, so never ate on-property, but even though this hotel is "remote", you can be to several restaurants and stores in just a few minutes. Ask staff for directions so you can find them easier.

If you're looking for a place to get away, this is it. It also looks incredible if you have kids who like to play and swim, and their slide and water area looked great. It is a distance from San Antonio and the airport, and probably not a great option if you're wanting to be in the city every night. But there are only good things to say about this property and its staff, and I would recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the golf course.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business