“Fogo de chow down”

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #34 of 4,770 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$25 - US$50
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: River Walk
Description: Fogo de ChaoR (fo-go dee shoun), is an authentic Southern Brazilian steakhouse. In 1979, FogoR began sharing the gaucho way of preparing meat in Porto Alegre, Brazil. Today, our gaucho chefs still expertly grill each of our 16 cuts of meat and offer you continuous tableside service. We invite you to enjoy the delicious preparations of our gaucho chefs along with our gourmet salad bar, authentic Brazilian side dishes, and award-winning wine list.
Reviewed 4 May 2014

It was our families first visit to FDC. The kids were apprehensive but excited. Careful coaching was key to prevent the teenagers from overloading at the salad bar. It went from a nice brunch to an all out strategic battle over selecting the right cuts of meat, and a competition over who could eat the most.

While all of the food was good, our family enjoyed the filet the most. One of our children even threatened to head into the kitchen and retrieve the next filet. Fortunately the manager came over and saved the day.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

My husband I and met his parents for dinner on a Monday night. We had an early reservation. We all arrived early, at 4pm, asked if we could sit order some wine in the bar and wait for our reservation at 5. We were offered to sit, but no one offered to get us drinks. The bartender showed up about 30 min after we had been sitting there and looked very tired and uninterested in work.
My husband had to go up to the bar to get the wine list. (BTW, we were the only 4 people in the very small bar area!) Overall she was very disinterested in waiting on us, like we weren't even there. Since we had about 30 min. before our reservation, we figured we would order a bottle of wine for our dinner and let it open up. We ordered one bottle and also each of us orderd a glass of another wine for our duration. Quite unfortunate as the menu read $16 for glasses of wine, and I found it odd when she asked from across the room if we all wanted "full" glasses, which seemed very odd to me, I've never been asked that! Later when looking at our receipt, I see the glasses were charged at $24 and $33 EACH. So I'm assuming now the price listed was for a half glass of wine. Misleading? Had the bartender had been interested in customer service, she might have pointed that out to us. We would much rather have just purchased another full bottle!

Then onto the dining room for dinner. The grilled meats were excellent, the items on the salad bar were all very nice and tasted great. Our main hostes who sat us, asked if we had been there before and we said No. She only explained about the Gauchos with the meat service and to use the tongs to grab the slices of meat. I noticed when we were done eating that the table next to us had a bunch of relishes to use on the meats. We were never told about them or offered those. And just the Gauchos with the meat kept returning to our table. I guess if we were "regulars" we would have know to ask about the other options, but we told our waiter that we had not eaten there before and so I would have expected that to be explained.

I'm giving the AVERAGE rating, because the food was better than average, and the atmosphere was nice, but the service left a lot to be desired.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The service was unbelievable. Every waiter waits and checks one very table, so we never waited for a thing. The premise is to turn your card over to green when you want to be served and carvers come to your table to carve for you. The salad bar was also extraordinary. One of my best meals.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Nice atomosphere with plenty of different kinds of meats to try. The salad bar is also very nice. There would be no reason to go home hungry after visting this place.

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Please do starve during three days prior to come to this restaurant as both the starters buffet and the rolling dozen varieties of meat (in Brazil from experience you have 40) are more than tasty.
The special cheese buns are also marvelous …