“Wow - we were surprised!”

Manola's Thai & Vietnamese Cuisine
Ranked #1,955 of 4,713 Restaurants in San Antonio
Price range: US$7 - US$12
Cuisines: Sushi, Thai, Vietnamese
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch
Neighbourhood: North Central
Description: Thai & Vietnamese Restaurant in San Antonio. Lunch & Sushi Specials. Sushi Bar. Boba Drinks. Bubble Tea Drinks
Reviewed 4 June 2013

We came to this place because our GPS led us there when we asked for Thai food. Upon arrival...we almost left, judging the book by its cover. I used the smart phone to look up reviews...most were good, with a few bad. I noticed one person left a two star review because they didn't have any healthy food, LOL. It's a Thai restaurant...not a health food store.

We went in, and we were treated with some awesome food. I had the Manola's noodles. I again judged the book by the cover when I saw what looked like a big salad, but man, was it good. There's plenty of noodles under the veggies, and I ate the whole thing. My wife had Pad Thai, and it was also really good. I heard a guy next to our table complain to the waiter that his Pad Thai "did not look like Pad Thai". Pad Thai is made differently at every restaurant. The waiter's mother was in the kitchen, and it's her rendition of Pad Thai. Also, I noticed...that it looked like any other Pad Thai I've ever seen so I don't have the slightest clue as to what the guy was complaining about. The Pad Thai had a bit more sauce on it than most Pad Thai's weve had, which were fairly dry. This pleased my wife, as she likes plenty of sauce. There's only three places I've been to that makes a good Pad Thai, and this is one of them.

The Vietnamese Egg Rolls are outstanding, too. And no, they ain't healthy buddy!!

The waiter was a teenager. I wouldn't say he was lackadaisical...probably shy and socially clumsy. Give him a break...he's the cook's son. LOL He brought out hot and tasty food, and smiled, so that's all I require.

We will definitely be coming back, and I highly recommend this to Thai fans.

We did not try the sushi yet, but will do so upon our next visit.

Thank John and Desire... C

Reviewed 31 March 2013 via mobile

We had a great evening at Manola's. We had planned to grab pizza next door but opted for the better atmosphere at Manola's. What a great decision! We loved the spring rolls, garlic edamame, green chicken curry, some wonderful marinated pork dish with great sauce, vegetables and jasmine rice. You choose the level of heat. They serve wine and beer and some fruit drinks. It is a small place with two TV's but they are not distracting. The server was very helpful and professional. The prices are very reasonable. Go and enjoy!

Reviewed 9 November 2012 via mobile

I usually come here for weekday lunch because they are fast and the service is acceptable. They aren't warm and inviting, but I didn't come here to be coddled. The food is $7-8 for lunch and fairly healthy. Noodles, meat, tofu and veggies. Maybe a lot of carbs, but certainly not dripping in oil. Taste is comparable to other Thai/Vietnamese/ fast food Chinese type of meals.

Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

We go here at least once a month. Service is good- the teenagers welcome us and remember our special requests. At first we had problems with too much spice once or twice for a #1 level, but that is ok now. Always friendly and open to substitutions (I prefer pad thai sauce on my salad). Bubble teas are great. Good family atmosphere.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

Manola's is a family run restaurant in a strip center. If you're looking for atmosphere and a professional waitstaff you're going to be disappointed. Servers are attentive and helpful (why would anyone be looking for more than that at this type of restaurant?)

The food is the shining star here. Every menu item we've tried has been delicious. We've even gone off-menu a couple of times and asked Manola to surprise us. Never a disappointment.

As a remark to the customer who was looking for healthy choices: If you can't find anything healthy on Manola's menu I have a difficult time believeing you'd find something healthy across the street at a Mexican Food establishment. Something about that review doesn't ring true.