“Down home cookin!”

Cheddar's
Ranked #506 of 4,622 Restaurants in San Antonio
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Northwest Side
Kerrville, Texas
“Down home cookin!”
Reviewed 11 February 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

If you're looking for a five star restaurant, this isn't it. If you want good "stick to your ribs" down home food, Cheddar's has it. The food is hot, well prepared and tasty. Their menu offers a wide range of choices and they all seem to be good.

Visited January 2014

Dallas, Texas
“Not Good For Larger Groups”
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Friends asked us to meet them here for lunch. We were told our table was ready shortly after we arrived. There were nine of us, and we were led to a booth designed to seat six. There were no larger tables available, so we crammed in. None of us had much room on the table for our plates or much elbow room. I ended up with half of my posterior hanging off the seat throughout the meal. It wasn’t a comfortable seating arrangement for any of us.

We started with chips and queso and an order of onion rings as appetizers. For the price, the serving of chips was pretty small. Since I can’t eat most cheeses, I can’t comment on the quality of the cheese sauce. The onion rings, however, were excellent. They had a light batter, so we were able to taste the onion more than the coating. Everyone liked them. Even though there was quite a mound of them when the plate arrived, they disappeared quickly. My margarita on the rocks had little lime flavor and tasted watered down. It wasn’t one of the best margaritas I’ve had. I’d pass on it if I went back.

The menu is varied and the prices are low. Portion sizes are moderate. It’s not a place where you’ll leave hungry, but you also are not likely to have leftovers to take home. For my meal, I ordered the beer battered shrimp with mashed potatoes and broccoli as my sides. When the shrimp arrived, they were breaded, not beer battered. They weren’t bad, but they were not what the menu description led me to expect. I would have liked it better if they had used the same batter that they had used for the onion rings. There wasn’t really any flavor to the shrimp at all. I probably wouldn’t order them again. Before I ordered the mashed potatoes, I confirmed with our waitress that they were fresh, not instant. They were fresh, with skins included, and I liked them. My broccoli was overcooked to the point of mushiness. It had the same texture in my mouth as the mashed potatoes, and wasn’t very appetizing.

The atmosphere seemed very nondescript compared with the one other Cheddar’s I’ve been to. I can’t recall anything standing out about it. It wasn’t unpleasant, just bland. It could have been any one of a number of chain restaurants.

Our waitress was efficient and didn’t keep us waiting long for anything. We did feel rushed when we were finished with our meal, though. We were handed our bill as soon as we were done eating, without even being given a chance to order dessert. I had been looking forward to getting one of their Key lime desserts, but we ended up paying and leaving instead.

My overall impression was one of blandness, both in terms of atmosphere and the food. It’s a place to sate your hunger inexpensively. The one stand-out for me was the onion rings. I would definitely get those again. And I would suggest only going if you are in a group of six or less.

• Visited November 2013
San Antonio, Texas
“good place”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Other reviewers have said that it's always crowded. That is my observation as well. I like the steak and potato meal (a real deal), the tortilla soup, most of their sandwiches. and their burgers. Overall, I would place it in the same general category as, say, Mama's, and Chile's, only a little better.
We have had to wait for a table sometimes, but the service has always been very good. Overall, when my wife says our friends want us to meet them at Cheddar's, I generally have a slightly brighter outlook on the rest of the day. A good place, no, a very good place.

• Visited November 2013
San Antonio, TX
“You Can't Go Wrong Here!”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

The service is first rate and the interaction with all the wait staff is excellent. The food is prepared fresh and is moderately priced. The menu selections are extensive and varied. For good food ant a great price this is the place.

• Visited September 2013
long island
“Great restaurant at great prices with great service!”
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I have been to this restaurant in 2 different locations in Texas. The meals and service were top notch in both. I loved the sweet hot rolls/croissants. The tortilla chips and queso was yummy. The homestyle chicken pot pie and fried chicken salad was great and a huge portion! The never ending refills of drinks was soo great. Don't see much of that in NYC restaurants. I wish cheddars was in NYC or Long Island NY!

• Visited August 2013