“Got stuck in an elevator”

Best Western Plus Palo Alto Inn & Suites
Ranked #114 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Overall, the stay itself was alright. However, when room service came by, there was a language barrier. My sheets were not changed, so later on, I go to the front desk to get some sheets because house keeping had already left for the day. When I reach my room, I find the sheets are dirty, so I go back down to get new ones. On my way back up in the elevator, I reach the fourth floor, and the door opens about an inch and gets stuck. I press the help button, but after a few minutes, no one comes. Luckily, there is a rear door for the house keeping workers that leads to a room with a door that opens to the hallway. I then go down the stairs and tell the front desk I was stuck. She says the maintenance guy was sent up. When I go back up, I see a man dressed in jeans, who apparently was the manager. I told him I was stuck, and he says, 'Yeah, we pressed the reset button.' No sorry, didn't even asked what happened (maybe the door gets stuck regularly?), or how I got out. The manager was very unprofessional and I would not trust the elevator.

• Stayed: June 2013

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Reserved 4 rooms for BMT graduation and wedding. Advertised with pool and spa. Elevator not working. Pool and Spa not working. Gave us $5 compensation off 1 room. Dangerous chairs near 2 floor open banister that a child could be killed if climbs and falls. Rooms barely cleaned with sheets not changed for the 5 days of stay. When we complained front desk staff was argumentative and condescending. Manager would not call us. Would not recommend-- safety of building questionable -- to many issues that should not be disregarded. Will be contacting safety officials

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Rgardi410
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I was returning on a long driving trip over 1150 miles and it was late at night approx 1:30 AM on retrurn home and I needed some photocopies to turn in to my clients office before going home! Ever tried to get a simple photocopy at 1:30 am? I was lucky enough to pass this hotel on my way home and stopped to ask for 2 photocopies of my gas receipts; to my surprise the night clerk on duty Mr. Tony Reyna made the copies for me!! You can always count on best western for your travel needs!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Plus Palo Alto in San Antonio from 03/09/13 - 03/12/13. We've stayed in other Best Western hotels in the past and have had stays that were well above our expectations. Unfortunately, we hated our stay at this Best Western. The employees at the desk were unfriendly and the complimentary breakfast was not palatable.

-We chose the Queen suite with the sofabed. When I opened the sofa, there wasn't a blanket. So, I went to the front-desk to ask for one. The man behind the counter in his street clothes who I'm assuming was the manager/owner said, "It's not in the closet inside the pillowcase?" Uh, I'm sorry, but I forgot to look there. I don't normally store my blankets inside of pillowcases.
-After reusing our towels for 2 days, I asked the maid for some fresh towels, and she said that they didn't have any! I was floored. At $159 a night for a so-so hotel, fresh towels should be readily available.
-The only elevator is horribly slow, so we used the stairs to get to our 4th story room. So, we got our exercise without having to use their fitness facility.
-Furthermore, the parking was limited. The places that were available, were in the dark.
-The complimentary breakfast was bad. Everything was tasteless.
-The fire alarm sounded while I was getting out of the shower, so I threw on some clothes, gathered my family, and we went out the door. Some other guests in the hall mentioned that they thought that it might be a test. Shortly after, the alarm stopped. There wasn't any communication from staff or management before or after the alarm. WOW!

I'm very disappointed in this Best Western location and their response in a personal email was very generic like a form letter. I don't recommend that you spend the extra money to stay in this location. You can probably get a much nicer room near the airport for about $99 per night.

Jim Alexander, Cypress, TX

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Jim A
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel several times in the past year and 1/2 and have nothing but good things to say about this hotel. The staff if very friendly and the rooms are very nice. The overall condition of the hotel is very nice, from the pool to the breakfast area. I have stayed there both for business and pleasure and would recommend it to anybody.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Ricardo F
Reviewed 29 November 2012

On two night stay they did not enter room to change towels, tidy bath or even make beds. Even tho we removed our No Disturb sign at about noon and went out, front desk said since sign was up at noon, no maid service period. No effort to come back to do room! This is their policy regarding DND sign on door.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family