“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #45 of 356 Hotels in San Antonio
Centereach, New York
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We stayed only one night and had no problems. The place is new and very clean. The staff was very pleasant. At check in, all ameneties were exlained to us and a short tour given. There is a small fitness area and if you want to get a real work out, guests are able to use the gym across the street at no charge. The breakfast bar was fresh and had a variety of selections offered.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LIdivechick

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Texas
Reviewed 23 May 2014

First let me say that in the Hyatt rewards program I am a platinum member, which means we stay at Hyatts frequently. We ALWAYS stay at this hotel in San Antonio. We even call it our home away from home, but this time we had some issues. We wanted to use reward points for one night and pay for the second night. We usually book online, but weren't sure how to do this reservation. We called the hotel directly and asked them and they said it was possible and would be no problem at all. They transferred us to reservations. All the reservation person explained to us was that it was entered as 2 reservations but it would be no problem, we wouldnt have to change rooms or anything. We arrived on Friday, May 16th, checked in and again were told that we wouldnt have to change rooms and the 2 reservation thing was no problem. That was ALL!

Saturday we left the hotel around 10 am and went sight-seeing and shopping. We returned back at around 4 pm and parked near the north entrance which was closest to our first floor room. We loaded up our arms with bags so we didnt have to make multiple trips. Upon reaching the door, my Mom's room key wouldnt unlock it. I sat ALL of my bags on the sidewalk and got my key out and same thing. I left my mom with ALL the bags at the door and walked around to the front of the building. Upon entering I explained the issue to the 2 young people working behind the counter. They informed me THEN that because of this reservation I needed to check out and check back in. I told them I was NEVER informed of this either by the reservation person or the check in person. They repeatedly said, "It's our policy. It's no problem at all." I explained maybe to them it wasn't a problem, but to the person hold an armload of bags fighting with a key card it IS a problem. They then asked for the credit card for incidentals. I explained my mom had that and was waiting outside the back door with all the bags. THey said they could use any card, but after this room ordeal I didnt want to have multiple cards on the reservation that who knows what could happen to. SO, i walked to the back of the building and opened the door and helped my mom carry ALL the bags into the front lobby so she could get the credit card. Again the front desk people continued with their "It's our policy. It's no problem" parroting. My mother asked to speak to the manager and the front desk workers went back in some door and a few minutes later came back with the manager. I am guessing they were debriefing him of the situation. Well when we explained the situation they again started with the, "It's our policy. It's no problem," robotic parroting. At no time was there any expression of sorry or helpfulness.

I don't have a problem at all with the policy. If they would have told us that on the phone or even when we checked in we wouldn't have had a problem with it. The lack of communication and then lack of actual customer service was what I have a problem with.

Upon check out the next day (Sunday), a woman named Mary was working the front desk. She asked the usual, "How was your stay?" and I explained the entire situation. This person was the only time I DIDNT received the "It's our policy. It's no problem" parroting. She was upset and thanked me again for being a platinum member. She also was kind enough to offer a few additional points to our account to make up for the mistake. She again thanked me for being a platinum member and asked if I had received a bag at check-in. I had no idea what she was talking about and she then handed me a small gift bag with water, chocolate bar, snack mix and a post card stating that as a platinum member we had complimentary access to the large fitness complex across the highway for the duration of our stay. I am not sure how long this "bag incentive" has been in place, but we have NEVER received this before.

All in all, I think some of the staff needs retraining and a better understanding of CUSTOMER SERVICE and the HOSPITALITY INDUSTRY. As a result of this experience, we are a little concerned about keeping the Hyatt North/Stone Oak as our "home away from home" in SA.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Samantha S
kansas city
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

We arrived lateish and were told all the king rooms were oversold yet there was upfront parking so we were given a handicapped king room. It smelled like old feet. We were moved to a double queen on a different floor and again it smelled only slightly less. I tossed and turned until 0300 and then gave up it is hard to sleep when every time you take a breath all you inhale is funk! Staying here was almost torture and it was a relief to leave. I checked out early and got no help from the front desk. Thanks for nothing.

Stayed May 2014
3 Thank KansasCityTootie
HPDOS, Manager at Hyatt Place San Antonio-North/Stone Oak, responded to this review, 14 May 2014
Dear KansasCity Tootie,

We are undoubtedly grateful that you have considered our hotel for your most recent stay with us in San Antonio but it is even more displeasing to hear of the less than great experience that you have encountered with us. As a frequent traveler, we understand that Reviews and feedback, provided on behalf of the traveler, allow us to grow and better ourselves as a company. We would like to know more information regarding your stay that way we know to address the situation more diligently and ensure satisfactory stays in the future. I deeply apologize that your stay was less than exceptional and hope to have the opportunity to host you again and rectify this situation.

Best Regards,
Amber Burbage, Corporate Sales Manager
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 29 April 2014

My husband and I arranged to stay here as a "staycation" to escape the chaos of our little monsters/kids. I was in need of some serious relaxation and seen the hotel on Groupon. I purchased two nights because I knew the location and had been to the hotel a year prior. The check in was fast and the room appeared clean. Or so we thought. We go to our room for a nap and notice used, dirty face cloths in the bed. They were from a previous guest. I contacted the front desk and in the first phone call they said they would be right up. 20 minutes later the second phone call was placed to the front desk. They stated they would be there soon. An hour later my husband and I went to the front desk. We spoke with the manager on duty and he got the sheets changed in 5 minutes. Not amused.
The day of checkout I receive the bill under the door. It had charges on it and this was completely to my surprise because as I stated in the beginning I paid with a Groupon, in full before arriving. My husband and I did not have any additional charges to the room beyond the Groupon. When we went to check out I asked about the charges, and the receptionist and the manager (a different one from the other day) told me it would be taken care of. But it hasnt been. I have contacted the hotel numerous times now, speaking with a manager by the name of Amber, trying to get this handled and refunded to my card. Today is the 4/29 and we stayed at the hotel on 4/18-4/20. No refund has been issued and I was told that I needed to just dispute it with my credit card company because they issued the refund but its held up in a "gray area" of their finances. Whhhaaaa??? I just want my money back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Julia H
Lake Forest, Illinois
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I enjoyed staying at this hotel with my staff, I booked online and saved a few bucks
they checked us in no issue, the lobby was rock'n with people and a good vibe

when i checked into my room, i was very surprised how NICE is really is
two thumbs up Hyatt, keep rock'n in the real world...

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

This is a great hotel, the staff was very friendly and the room were nice and clean. We stayed during the Easter weekend and really enjoyed our stay here. I didn't mind driving a few extra miles away from downtown but is so close to Fiesta Texas n Sea world! We even attended mass on Sunday at a nearby church. The only negative to our stay was the first night my 3 kids got in The pool at around 8pm but the smell of the chemicals was so strong my eyes were hurting just from sitting by the pool watching my kids, my baby daughter swallow some if the water and was throwing up due to all the chemicals, perhaps they should shack the pool earlier on during the day or after they close it!

Stayed April 2014
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Recently stayed here one weekday evening. Note that the property is not close to downtown San Antonio/Riverwalk, but is a relatively close drive (20 minutes). Check-in was seamless; staff was extremely friendly and helpful. I've stayed at a # of Hyatt Place(s) and they have always been very consistent in terms of cleanliness, size/comfort of the room, and overall service. Nice amenities with the indoor pool and gym. You also have access to a larger gym facility across the freeway although we did not use. Unfortunately, we missed breakfast as it lasts until 9 a.m. If there was one recommendation for this hotel it would be to extend the breakfast time. Nice bonus that check-out was at noon. Room was clean, comfortable, and large. Good night sleep - would recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple