“Room ok, loud AC, but access problem from highway. No HI breakfast buffet.”

Holiday Inn San Antonio N - Stone Oak Area
Ranked #161 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
Dallas, Texas
“Room ok, loud AC, but access problem from highway. No HI breakfast buffet.”
Reviewed 15 July 2011

This is a 3* hotel, 3* price. That said, yes, this is a new hotel (1 year old). However, please note it is a Holiday Inn; NOT Holiday Inn Express. So forget your ideas about HIE -- free breakfast buffet. This is a new class of HI... their so-called "new generation" of hotel with an indoor pool and an in-house restaurant. HI's attempt at "upscale" it would seem.

The hotel is definitely fresh, clean, tidy -- all of the basic things one expects for in a hotel. Beds are comfortable, soft linens. Choice of pillows is nice (though more than four TINY pillows on a King-size would make more sense). Flat screen TVs in room and throughout hotel (including in restaurant), but seems like all hotels have these now.

The worst part of this hotel: location, location, location. Arriving on 281 South, we had to exit 281 @ 1604, go down 2 lights, make a U-turn, get back on 281 (and into the horrible afternoon traffic), and exit again to get to the hotel we had passed about 15-20 minutes earlier. Access is just ridiculous. You must repeat this process anytime you want to leave or return. Just plain silly, very poorly thought out. For this reason alone we will not stay here again.

Bathrooms are basic, but are new and clean. Decent marble shower & matching vanity. Water pressure during our visit seemed low especially in the sink. Had to flush the toilet twice to get TP to go down. Shower was okay, one of those nicer showerheads, ok pressure (could get the soap out of my hair). Bathroom has standard finishes, is a bit tight on space, but is workable. Plenty of towels. Poor lighting in the bathroom for doing hair and/or make-up. I ended up at the desk by the window to have enough light to see to do my make-up. Has one of those tiny pretend hairdryers on the wall.

Room has a small microwave, coffee making set up and a small in-room fridge.

Ah, the view: 281 highway traffic, houses for miles and the backside of a strip mall. Not much. From the back of the hotel I think it's worse: just a view of the parking lot and dirt. But at these prices, I guess a view is not to be expected.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. Easy check-in. Nice lobby area.

We were VERY surprised to find out there was NO breakfast buffet, but now I know to watch MUCH more closely when booking. There is in fact a difference between Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express (and not just the price). They have what they are calling a "restaurant" instead. It's very quite small and quickly becomes noisy (add several families with squaling kids and a few groups of execs yukking it up on their cell phones). Service here was ok. Food was nothing special, rather bland. Typical Holiday Inn breakfast buffett type food -- however, at the rate of an $8.00 minimum (oh and don't forget to add $2.00+ for any beverage, side order). Your $8.00 breakfast is quickly heading to a $15.00 breakfast. At Holiday Inn?? Uh, I think not. This is not a "bistro like restaurant" (as hyped in HI's relaunch material for their "next generation" of prototype hotels). I ordered the egg, bacon and cheese croissant. I got a plate with 2 hugh croissants and a giant pile of potatoes, enough for at least 2 really hungry people. I could only eat 1/2 a croissant, the rest I got to go (lunch later?). Some smaller portion choices would be nice. I'm not a truck driver and I don't need enough food to last me until 6 p.m. Judging from the restaurant set up and prices, this is about making money, not meeting customer needs. Unfortunate. This is reason #2 will not return. There are too many other options in decent locations that INCLUDE breakfast.

The walls seem a bit thin. We could hear people in the hallways; kids running up and down the halls screaming last night, and can hear the cleaning people outside in the hall when present. Moderate noise from overhead (again kids, people stomping/walking, housecleaning staff). Once you are in for the night and the kids settle down, it was relatively quiet.

The biggest in-room issue however is the air conditioning unit. It is LOUD. When it cycles on and off, there is a big clonk sound. Very annoying. It woke me up more than once. I finally set it on auto and adjusted the air so it would not cycle on and off constantly. It is still very loud though. For a brand-new hotel, the AC units seem archaic. There is no wall thermostat. This are the old-type of in the wall units popular 15-20 years ago. Surprising given that this is a new property.

PROS:
1) New facility (1 year old). Clean, fresh, well maintained.
a) Soft linens.
b) Okay bathrooms.
c) In-room microwave, coffee maker, fridge.
2) Friendly staff.
3) Smallish indoor pool with hot tub.
4) Respectible room size, moderately well appointed.

CONS:
1) LOCATION!!! An annoyance to SEE your hotel and have to go thru 20 more minutes of traffic and U-turns to get BACK to it on the other side of the highway. Very poorly considered location with bad access issues.

2) No breakfast buffet. $20+ for breakfast for two? A captive audience may feel obliged to pay this since there is nothing within walking distance (that I can see), but there are too many other hotels that offer inclusive breakfast -- and too many other dining options in general (especially if you have a car). I expect this at a higher level hotel (4*+), but not at a basic Holiday Inn. If you want breakfast included, stay elsewhere or pay the $20 upcharge on your HI room rate.

3) Very noisy AC unit in room. Old-fashioned in window/wall type unit that clonks on and off and is very loud and irritating. I don't get why HI would build a new facility and put old AC units in. Crazy.

Value for money: 4/5 (clean room with good bed, shower, nice linens for fair price).
Location: 3/5, depending on where you want to be in SA, but consider access issues described above before booking.
Food: 3/5, Meh! I think not. HI restaurant food was edible, but overpriced and bland. Room service is available with the usual service charges added.
Pool: 3/5 Small, but definite plus if you don't mind the noise and kids.

Stay here again: No.
a) Poor/complicated access from highway.
b) AC noise
c) No traditional HI breakfast buffet.
d) All other issues above.

Room Tip: Consider location OUTSIDE Loop 1604 @ 281. Get a top level room to avoid noise.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lulu_Pow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Alamo, Texas
Reviewed 15 July 2011

We stayed here last night after making spur of the moments reservations at 8pm and arriving after 1am. The hotel was vert clean with great modern decorations. The pool was already closed but there were towels laying around the poolside but by the time the pool opened again they were picked up. The rooms were average sized hotel rooms but the selling point is the incredible beds! They were by far the most comfortable beds I've ever slept on and our entire party of 4 agreed! It was a great, new, clean, well-decorated place to stay out of the downtown area but in great safe neighborhood. Would recommend any day to anyone. The only downside is no free breakfast :(

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank cpray09
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 10 July 2011

We went here on vacation in July 2011 and can't wait to return!!! We stayed here a week and loved every moment of it. The rooms are very spacious, flat screen tv with lots of chanels, big bathroom and extremely comfortable beds. The business center, fitness center, pool and jacuzzi are all very nice! There is a laundry center onsite and the prices are very reasonable. We go to San Antonio a few times each year and this is one of the best hotels we've stayed in. The area is very quiet and everything is nearby. We can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank 2000SM
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Definitely a great hotel. Let me start with the positives:
Brand new hotel with excellent amenities,we stayed in a two queen Bedroom. We were impressed with the decoration and atmosphere. Neat and clean, very friendly staff, A very nice covered pool with Hot tub. Room was very spacious, they offered two kinds of pillows: soft or hard, which we thought it was a great feature. Bathroom is very spacious, clean and offered 4 big towels which sometimes is hard to find at certain hotels. Safe location. Parking is free, Decoration all over the hotel is modern and elegant. Very calm and quiet atmosphere, and the location is great if you don't mind driving 10 minutes to downtown.
The negatives: The Air Conditioning was loud, at times really annoying. This Hotel lacks of views.
Overall We would recommend it, We would come back for sure. Great Hotel! We got this hotel from Priceline.com... $70 x night

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank hotel_aficionado2011
Campinas, SP
Reviewed 26 June 2011

I did not choose this hotel by myself. I was placed there by the organizing staff of the business event I went to. I travelled from another country, and I wanted a new laptop. Thus, I asked if the hotel could receive it for me if I would buy it through a web site. My question was promptly answered.

I made the purchase and some days later I had my trip. I arrived at the hotel in a sunday, at noon. Unfortunately, the general manager was having his day off, and my stuff was locked in his office. As I wanted the laptop to talk to my wife through VoIP, and the public computers would not have the VoIP software I needes, Nancy, the staff person who was at the front desk at that time, promptly got me a calling card so I could call my wife to tell I had arrived well.

Then I wanted to go to the Alamo. Tim helped me a lot, and offered me a ride to the closest bus stop. Talking to those people made me feel just like in a second home.

I had decided to have dinner at the hotel, and I had a great surprise: great food for an affordable price.

The bedroom and the common areas are great, and look like brand-new. But the strongest virtue of this hotel is its staff: all of them were very nice and helpful: Tim, Nancy, Shawn, and Dot are the ones I have interacted to. Congratulations guys!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Miami
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed there this weekend for my son's wedding. I was kind of hesitant when I saw they had accepted my bid through Priceline, but I was very pleasantly surprised. We rented 2 rooms and I have to tell you that from the moment we arrived we were pleasantly surprised. No parking fees, did I alreasy say FABULOUS customer service, free wireless internet in the room, great beds, covered pool, super clean, spacious. The room had a small refrigirator, which was great to keep cool drinks. If you needed water they were not that expensive to purchase for being at a hotel, $1 or $1.50 I'm not too sure, but either is fine. We were unable to use any of the amenities because of the purpose of our trip and the short amount of time we had, but I'm sure we would have found the amenities available fine. What I liked the most was the customer service and the cleanliness, what I liked the least was that the view, it was not that great, but how long are you in your room to sit and watch the view? NOT MUCH! Therefore, if you are looking for a hotel in this area at a reasonable price and great service, I highly recommend it. We stayed in 320 & 321 and both rooms were great.

Room Tip: To be close to the elevator to walk less
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ili_from_Miami
san antonio texas
Reviewed 14 June 2011

Very nice hotel, friendly and helpful staff. Great amenities - has a restaurant/bar, nice pool. Rooms were very clean and very pretty - hotel looks very new. Room had refrigerator and microwave. No complaints, very satisfied. Paid a little more than I normally would for a hotel, but it was worth its value. Very modern decor.

Room Tip: Very Nice Hotel, Staff, Room...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple