“Rock and Roll Stay”

Ranked #113 of 354 Hotels in San Antonio
San Antonio, Texas
“Rock and Roll Stay”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Live in San Antonio and doing the Rock and Roll Marathon here. Wanted to stay close by the race start, so I cashed in my rewards points to stay here. Located in Central Downtown. Large rooms with good amenities. Frdige with a counter stove and sink, but did not use. Used the Breadkfast buffet after the race. Nice shower, I never figured out how to use the modern sink stop in the bathroom.
Used the Valet parking overnight. The staff were fine. All in all a good hotel

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Richardson, Texas
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I cashed in some certificates and points on this location over Veterans Day weekend. I have never stayed at this brand by Marriott, and I was very pleased. The best way to describe it is like a residence inn without as much space.

The room contained a full fridge, small bar type sink, small cooktop (2 burner), small microwave and a full size dishwasher. A desk, long couch, and a king size bed was in our room. We had a large standup shower, and everything for the bathroom area was inside the bathroom vs. a separate sink/vanity outside of the toilet/shower area.

The location is great. A couple of blocks from the Alamo and Ripley's never ending choices, and there is Riverwalk Access right across from the Alamo. Less than a 3-5 minute walk to each.

The valet, front desk, and housekeeping were great. The only complaint was that the breakfast staff did not do a good job keeping up with stocking, and were very cranky about asking for anything.

Our room was great overall with free wifi, plenty of amenities, and a nice sized wide screen tv.
The room walls are a bit thin, and expect to hear what is going on out in the hallway.

I would definitely save the cash, and stay here vs. on the river walk any day!!!

Room Tip: Book a room far away from the elevators.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 13 November 2013

On our first visit to San Antonio Texas we were pleased both with the city and the hotel we chose. This Marriott branded hotel is very strategically located, a bit more than a city block away from the Alamo, two to three blocks from a great entry point to the Paseo del Rio (River Walk), and almost across the street from the Buckhorn Restaurant and Museum. They give you good rates, a nice sized room with sofa, kitchenette, etc., and a great breakfast every day.

All of the staff were attentive and helpful. We had several touristy type questions and they were happy to oblige us. I guess it's either the South Texas cowboy culture and tradition, or they are all very well trained, or both! If it weren't for the noise (street noise and garbage and delivery trucks) we would have given them a total five star rave review. But they were sure very close indeed!

We came for a wedding at a nearby hotel (got a better deal here!) and we plan on a return visit. When we do, we will probably stay here (and ask for a quieter side?).

Room Tip: Ask the desk to be away from the trash and delivery trucks. They come early!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Alberto M
Mirabel, Qc
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Great location, downtown San Antonio, one street from the Riverwalk and short walking distance from the Alamo.
Typical TownPlace confort and staff friendlyness.
Breakfast included.
Nice small "outdoor" pool.
Reasons why I didn't give 5:
a) Parking at 25$+tx per night is a little exaggerated (even if it's valet and you're dowtown).
b) Kitchen needs more pots and pan and ustensiles, etc. We were 2 and needed to wash the dishes after cooking and preparing the meal, to be able to have plates and ustensiles to eat. I know it's often like that with hotel's kitchens but here, we're at Marriott, so we expected more (and other TownePlace hotels have well equiped kitchens).
Overall, I recommend this hotel.
c) Hot breakfast was near cold, had to reheat it in the microwave. No staff around to fix it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My wife and I spent one night here on a Friday night. We loved the location and felt for the price was one of the best deals around. We stayed in room 507 and did have some room noise from the outside as it overlooks the street. I feel the hotel could improve on the breakfast. There were a lot of people eating all at once (around 9 AM) and there was very little food available. They could just manage how much food to put out or do a better job of preparing more food at once. We did not use valet parking which would have been around $30 or so after tax. There are two parking garages within about a block that only charged us $8 for the night. If you valet with the hotel they do allow multiple entry/exits without extra charges. Overall we would stay at this hotel again due to the location and good price.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mvkicker
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 3 November 2013

My two grown children and I stayed here on a recent trip to San Antonio. It was conveniently located near the Alamo and Riverwalk. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Hotel was spotless and having a kitchenette gave us the option of eating in if we wanted. But I was on vacation so I was NOT cooking! We also enjoyed the qualify and variety of offerings on the hot breakfast buffet. Will definitely stay here again!

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharon O
Lumberton, North Carolina
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Chose to stay here while in town for a conference. The AAA rate for this place was $102 plus tax for a 5+ day stay. The room is nice and is your typical Towneplace. It is located within a 2 minute walk from the stairs leading to The Riverwalk. The Alamo is also a couple of minutes away from here. There is a bar across the street from here and also a taxi stand at the Hyatt which is close to here. The reason for the 4 instead of the 5 is that the channels on the TV do not match the channels on the guide at all. Also, while I was there I never got my room remade. I noticed that the rooms on either side of me had theirs done, but not mine. Not that big of a deal since the price is not that high and also since I ran into a housekeeper during my stay and she gave me a couple of towels and some more shampoo. If I were to be in San Antonio again, I would definately stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business