“They made a difference, I am sold!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #14 of 358 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 19 May 2011

I had the untimely experience of getting stuck in San Antonio with my spouse after a business trip, San Antonio not being the first place that comes to mind when spending time with a spouse for me, but I have to say that we took a chance on this brand new property and had the most incredible time.
A hotel stay is made of a few key elements and here is my opinion on them for this property:
Cleanliness: Without a question these people know what it means to make a guest feel that they care about the upkeep on this place. There was someone on our floor cleaning everyday during working business hours. There was a friendly employee in the lobby that seemed to love her job and meeting guests. It was just refreshing to see that this was not an area taken for granted.
Location: While not on what they locally refer to as “the loop”, this property is located on the Riverwalk and is just a step enough away to get some well needed peace and quiet from time to time.
Rooms: Fantastic!!! Every room is, again clean, arranged as a two-room suite, which is nice if you want to leave a loved one sleeping quietly in the bedroom as well as spacious in comparison to other properties.
Value: You will pay for parking $29, you will pay for internet $10, but you will not pay for breakfast (everyday) nor the evening reception (again everyday) and while there be cheaper locations in the area, the overall value is unmatched. Great room! Nice view. New property. Free food/drink.
Last but certainly not least in my book:
Service: Unmatched! The valets were polite, and speedy. The folks in breakfast were friendly and always looking to help. My true pleasure came in dealing with the front desk folk. I want to commend several of them; namely Katlyn who always greeted us with a smile, Tim who was both polite and professional, Madison who seemed to know more about San Antonio than I think anyone else on the property and then Ronnie who was introduced to us by Madison as her manager and I have to say this young man is a true professional. He was engaging, professional and personable. He took time to learn about us and the nature of our trip and sought out ways to make it better than it started. If this is the person who is training your team I commend his efforts, job well done. He made sure everyone knew our names and I felt that if we needed anything that he and his team would jump at the chance. The front desk served service like it was the blue plate special and they had to give out as much as they could before the day ended. I am sold.

Room Tip: Book your room and simply ask someone for it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank HPTravelGuy

Reviewed 11 May 2011

Travelled to San Antonio for a business conference. Checked in to the hotel around 7:30 pm and had no problem dropping the car off with the valet ($27 per night plus tax). Was given a room facing away from the Riverwalk, but it was clean and spacious and quiet so no complaints. Be aware that rooms do NOT have a bath....instead that have a very large shower (see attached photo).

Happy Hour ran daily from 5:30 to 7:30 and bartenders were not skimpy on the alcohol. Daily snacks ran the gamut from veggies and chips and salsa, to several types of cheeses and olives. Happy Hours were well attended and management ensured items were kept stocked. In the morning, breakfast (from made to order eggs to boxed cereals to fruit) was available from something like 6:30 to 10:00 so it never felt crowded. One complaint about my stay was that a few times I picked up a plate to get some breakfast and found it to be dirty. The other is that several times my TV acted up getting service. Otherwise, all good. Hi-speed wi-fi service is $9.95 per night, which seems to be standard in San Antonio hotels.

The hotel is located adjacent to the Riverwalk and is a short walk from most of the 'busy' part of the walk. As a solo female traveler I did not feel uncomfortable walking alone on the Riverwalk. All the major tourist attractions (the Alamo, historic King William District, Aztec Theatre, etc.) are easily walkable from the hotel. The hotel does have a business center that offers free internet to check in and print boarding passes prior to departure.

After visiting the city for business, I've decided I must come back with my husband. Where will we stay? Why, Embassy Suites Riverwalk San Antonio, of course!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Suzski
Reviewed 11 May 2011

My husband and I stayed at this resort for 3 nights last week. We LOVED it!
The compimentary breakfast was fabulous. The evening reception was wonderful. The room was beautiful. And the staff was very friendly and helpful. We loved the location on the quiet end of the Riverwalk, but we were able to walk everywhere that we wanted to go!
The only complaint is that the hotel ran out of regular coffee for the in room coffee makers, and we had to leave very early on Sunday morning, so we missed the complimentary breakfast and were not able to get a cup of coffee before leaving. Otherwise, everything was perfect. If we ever go back to San Antonio we will definitly be staying here again!!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spykit
Reviewed 11 May 2011

Great location, easy to get to everything, excellent staff. As always with Embassy Suites - great manager's cocktail reception every day and bountiful breakfast included in room rate. Would definitely stay there if I go back.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank nutmegger31
Reviewed 2 May 2011

I stayed at the Embassy Suites Riverwalk for 2 nights with my wife and 6 year-old son. We had an early flight and arrived at the hotel around 11:30 am. The valet parking area was very busy, and the attendant had an “attitude” and indicated that check-in wasn’t until 3:00 pm and to back my car over to the entrance area. I didn’t expect to check-in but wanted to park and have my bags held so that we could go to lunch and start enjoying the area. I went inside and was not only able to check-in early, but was also upgraded to a partial river view with a balcony. I assume this is because I am an Hhonors Diamond member, although I never received my Hhonors "My Way" benefit of water and snacks.
The room had a living room area, with a separate bedroom. The bathroom was on the way to the bedroom, so you could get to the bathroom without having to go into the bedroom area. This was good since our son goes to bed early. The living area had a drawer unit the HDTV sat on, couch, small table, counter, microwave, and mini fridge. The couch was not very comfortable. There is NO safe in the room.
The hotel is fairly new and did not show much signs of wear. The lobby is large and nicely decorated. The free breakfast was good with many options as well as a made to order omelet area.
The hotel is on the river walk, but not the heavily trafficked “tourist area”, it is about a 5 minute walk to the more tourist area of the river walk. Besides the initial valet attendant’s attitude, everyone else at the hotel was very friendly and courteous.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank fligster
Reviewed 22 April 2011

This hotel is rather lovely, brand new. I am not quite certain if my room had been slept in truly, because it had a new smelling aroma, like when you move into a new home. Very refreshing, located directly on the Riverwalk, couldn't have enjoyed my stay more. My room was very big, and I loved how I had a refridgerator so that I could keep my beverages cold. I would very much so suggest this hotel, it was great. The staff was so helpful, housekeeping was polite and made every effort to say hi.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
4  Thank BloomingRose_2
Reviewed 21 April 2011

Had a tremendous stay at the Embassy Suites San Antonio Riverwalk. The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are spacious and elegantly appointed with all of the necessary amenities, the staff was friendly, professional and courteous, and the food at Lukes was far superior than your typical hotel dining experience. I would recommend this hotel without hesitation and can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business