“Great facility - terrible billing/financial experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #15 of 353 Hotels in San Antonio
Sherman, Texas
“Great facility - terrible billing/financial experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

To set the table, I travel for business 30-35 weeks annually and had zero problems with the physical hotel during my stay.

I am certain the manager of the hotel will respond to my review in a measured and professional manner as that is his/her prerogative. It is important though, that travelers understand that if they choose to use their debit card at this ES location that they could be very disappointed with their experience.

The problem I encountered related to the charges for my stay and significantly effected my trip.

The cost of my rooms were correctly held (+ incidentals). My problem was an additional double hold against my card equal to my entire reservation costs.

In effect, the funds in my account were held out of reach for DOUBLE the amount until ES received their funds.

As I fund my trips to a debit card account - this caused multiple problems with transactions for the remainder of the trip.

Multiple hotel employees with various levels of response, ES accounting blaming my bank policies, multiple phone calls after ,my trip, overdraft charges...sounds like fun?

It wasn't.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank Rance D
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this review, 15 November 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. I am happy that you found most aspects of your experience to be above average including our great location as well as our cleanliness. I apologize that the handling of the billing associated with your stay has created such an inconvenience for you. A member of my management team will be reaching out to you to further discuss this issue as we certainly want to make sure we better understand the root cause in this situation and can resolve any billing concerns that may still exist. Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to speaking with you.

Joe Melton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Korean first
Uvalde, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

Great knowledgeable bar-tending staff, the freshly made omelets were cooked to order and delicious, definitely the best complimentary breakfast spread I've ever had the pleasure to eat at. The potatoes however were never warm, even straight out of the kitchen, and they were quite greasy as well. Over all a great experience and i will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Bradenton, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

We were booked in the hotel from Oct.25-29th and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel and staff is wonderful, the building is expansive, suites are large and very clean. The breakfast choices are terrific and we highly recommend this hotel. The entrance to Riverwalk is steps away and many tourist attractions in this beautiful city are well within walking distance.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

We just got back from a 6 day family (sisters & nieces) reunion in San Antonio. Since day 1, booking the hotel, we had the kindest service over the phone. When calling again, I was suggested to speak with the front desk supervisor (who´s name is Caitlin Des Rosier), who happened to be such an empatic and wonderful person. I shared with her the special situation represented by this particular reunion , in part because of over 5 years of not seeing each other and every ones particular situation... She went out of her way with wonderful notes and details to make their visit a memorable one.... And that it was!!!...All the staff was SO kind, from front desk, to the Luke restaurant, to the people at the kitchen area at breakfast, room service and Security people...... Maria, Natasha, Maia, so sad no to remember everyones names... Room was beautiful, needless to say, but what made this a particularly special stay, was the people at the hotel... They made us feel at home from day one... We don´t see that in any other hotel... Nor did we want to leave!! Will be coming back or sure! :) Thanks Caitlin, and all, from the Godats! :) Mr. Joe Melton, you have one great element there... and a beautiful staff... congratulations!.... Oh, forgot to mention, breakfast was always wonderful....

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family

Los Angeles
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

I was here for an eight night stay. Not a bad place, but nothing special either. I love San Antonio, but one must stay on or near the River Walk. Otherwise, you are in Dallas.

First, let's talk location of the hotel. It's at what I will call "the end of the commercial part of the River Walk." I say this because if you access the River Walk from the hotel, one way takes you into the bustling nightlife of restaurants, the other into the more serene, even deserted part - scary at night. But, DO NOT MISS the waterfall constructed by the hotel under the building for the people of San Antonio. It's in the more serene direction.

It's downtown on historic Houston Street. Many great restaurants and boutiques. Street side is far superior to River Walk in terms of dining options. Although I loved the nearby Mexican Manhattan - but insist on the patio. Best spiced beef tacos I've ever eaten.

If you are there for an event at the convention center, as I was, it's a long 20 minute walk at street level, 30 minute walk by River. On a hot day, and there are 300 of those every year, you will be a mess upon arrival. Yet, it's almost too close to take a cab. I tried once and the driver was not pleased. I didn't research public transportation options, but did see red trolleys and River taxis that may be good options. Overall, I'd advise staying at the Hilton, Grand Hyatt, or Marriott if you are at a convention.

The hotel itself is standard issue Embassy Suites. The breakfast, the happy hour, blah blah blah. It's a newer property, well maintained, tastefully decorated, pretty lobby. Nothing wrong, nothing special. One of my pet peeves is room service trays left in hallways. This joint wins the prize. I watched a tray languish in the hallway for two days. Twenty four hours was typical. Gross.

Non Hilton Honors members, skip this paragraph. If you are a Hilton Honors member. BEWARE! Upon check in, I was given a very small room, no balcony, with a distant river view on the. 16th floor. I called the desk to ask if it was an upgrade ( I'm Diamond level) and the young lady said yes since it has a River view. I'd call it a wink and nod River view. Then, walking outside, I saw rooms with great balconies. I asked again. Same response. So, I called the toll free Diamond level guest services line. BINGO. Upgraded to a corner room with a huge balcony and splendid view. The front desk supervisor was polite, but clearly annoyed that I took that route. Just be clear when you check in that you receive a room with a balcony. It's imperative here, non balcony rooms are much smaller with ho hum views.

Finally, Luke's. The on site restaurant. Good food, shoddy table service. Pricey. Go for happy hour only. All is 1/2 off and they have great apps for cheap. Otherwise, for two rounds of drinks and a shared app, you are staring at $100. Others have reviewed Luke's more exhaustively. I found it way over priced in a city with great dining options a block away.

Closing thoughts. Parking is all valet and. $24/ night. Yikes! This isn't San Francisco for goodness sakes. Decent third floor pool, not nearly enough lounges (only 4) so get there by 7 AM. Lots and lots of kids on weekends due to the double roomed suites and many events downtown. I'd probably skip it next time and stay at the beautiful Hilton on the River. Throwback 1960s swanky place more touristy located.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Monterrey, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

Room Tip: high room floors were nice... not sure about the other rooms.... could be nice to be a bit away from...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed at this location this passed weekend and it was pretty nice the lady that checked me in was very nice but I do have one complaint..My husband had went downstairs to go outside and smoke a cigarette and as he was coming in an african american lady stopped him at the front door and asked if he was a guest at the hotel and also stated she was just asking because she "forgets" faces which I thought was not right because she didnt stop another guy that was also coming in the hotel as well and I'm sure the lady does NOT work 24/7 so does she ALWAYS go around and asks people if their a guest at that hotel? I just thought it was very rude and very unprofessional. I work at a Hilton Gardenn Inn we are number one in Houston so I know how customer service works and that was totally unacceptable. I'm sure she was just judging by his appearance which again is not right at all.. But other than that everything else went smoothly.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this review, 27 November 2013
Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. The safety and security of our guests is of the utmost importance to us and I certainly apologize if the approach to ensuring that goal was one that you found unacceptable. I appreciate your feedback and l have shared this with our security provider as it’s not often the message but rather the delivery of the message that can impact the guest experience. Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio you will allow us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Joe Melton