“Great Place to Stay”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #14 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 3 January 2014

I normally stay at another hotel right on the Riverwalk when I visit San Antonio, but because of the make-up of our group this time, we needed a "suite" set up. So based on TripAdvisor reviews, I chose the Embassy Suites Riverwalk, got a very good AARP rate, and was very pleased with the experience.

The room was spacious and very clean. The location is further down the Riverwalk, but it's really only a few minutes longer to walk to get to the restaurants and shops. In addition, being a bit further down, it is nice and quiet. I especially appreciated that factor as we stayed over New Years Eve and didn't hear any of the partying on the Riverwalk.

The included breakfast buffet is predictable, but quite good. There are lots of choices, and the staff keeps the entire area very tidy, even with lots of people going in and out. We didn't try room service this trip. The Embassy Suites Riverwalk is also a very short walk to Alamo, which was our primary destination as we were hosting a friend who had never been to Texas before.

The only negative associated with the hotel was that as we were leaving, I asked the valet for directions to Market Square. The directions that he gave us were completely wrong and took us in the complete other direction. I sometimes wonder if the valet guys at hotels do that on purpose just for chuckles.

At any rate, I would definitely recommend this hotel, and will stay there again when I need that kind of set-up.

Room Tip: Whenever you are in San Antonio, ask for a Riverwalk view. You'll enjoy it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,171)

Reviewed 3 January 2014

I stayed here because the wedding I was invited to was in this hotel. I was pleasantly surprised with my room which I found to be roomy and comfortable, especially the bed. The staff was always friendly and helpful. The free breakfast and happy hour daily were better than average. The hotel bar and restaurant had a great wine list and good food. Yes, it is on the Riverwalk, but it is just river and concrete, however, the Alamo, shops, restaurants, and parks are all within a mile of the hotel. My only complaint is the lack of self parking. At $27 a day valet parking makes the stay a bit more expensive, but other hotels in the area may be similar as parking in the area is very limited. I enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

When you stay central the advantage is walking distance to attractions, you'll get that here. Prices are higher, valet parking is required and rooms are smaller. Food at the nightly welcome reception is reasonable quality as is the breakfast. The only downside is the hotel isn't clean enough! Breakfast areas are understaffed for the volume of guests and our room carpet had obviously not been vacuumed after the last guest. (Clothing tags, food debris and a few small pebbles were the give away here). Decor in the rooms is lovely, bathroom toiletries are mid range and the in suite fridge/microwave would be handy if you need it.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ottravel5
Reviewed 2 January 2014

My youngest daughter and I visited the Riverwalk for the first time in Feb 2013. We stayed at the Hilton on the Riverwalk across from the convention center. We were so impressed, we knew we have to bring back the rest of our family. We tied to make a reservation for Spring Break, but the price was more than we wanted to spend. Loving the Hilton hotels, we chose the Embassy Suites Riverwalk. When we got to the hotel we found out, while it is technically ON the Riverwalk, it is at the FAR END. The hotel itself was not in a part of town that we felt comfortable walked in and out of at night. When we arrived our room was not ready. No big deal, we would wait. We waited until after 4pm before it was ready. When we walked in, the A/C was very noisy and the room was not well kept. We asked to have another room, which they accommodated. The next room was nice, but still seemed old. The room has a nice countertop with a wet bar sink and mini fridge. There was only the desk type table to eat at and not enough chairs to accommodate four people around to eat. We ordered from the room service menu for dinner on evening. It was pretty good and not overly priced. They did have a wonderful evening reception that was included with our room. The breakfast was also great. Make your own omelet, fruit, juices, muffins. Our conclusion, we will choose another hotel next time since location is important to us.

Room Tip: Be sure to turn on the A/C to see if it runs quiet enough for your liking.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank P F
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay experience at the hotel. We have found in our short 3-years of operation that our beautiful Riverwalk location has been a strength that many have enjoyed, I apologize that you did not find it to your liking. Our goal at the hotel is to make a memory and I am very happy you enjoyed both our breakfast and evening reception offerings. I hope that should your travels bring you back to San Antonio that you will give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations.

Joe Melton

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We just returned from a 3 night stay which included New Years Eve. Our room was a two room suite which included two queen beds and a sofa bed in the other room. Also had a microwave and small refrigerator. Our small balcony overlooked the river and was on the 17th floor (the top).

This hotel is located a few steps from the quiet end of the Riverwalk and very short distance to the more active areas.

Included in the price was a buffet breakfast with made to order omlettes. In the evenings between 5:30 until 7:30, there are drinks and small snacks available.

The staff was excellent and we would definitely stay at this property again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

This hotel meets the expectation that you would have of an Embassy Suites but is not on the main part of the river walk. During good weather it would be fine but during bad weather it is inconvenient.

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed 30 December 2013

My first visit to San Antonio, and the Embassy Suites was a very good base for my daily excursions. This hotel is on the "quieter" part of the River Walk, yet the "noisier" part is a short 5-minute walk away. My two-room suite was very clean and comfortable, and I made good use of the in-room mini-fridge and microwave during my stay.

Although the weather was in the 30s at night, I enjoyed ending each day in the outdoor hot tub. It was relatively small, yet 18 college students had a cozy fit in it. The pool was heated but too cool for my personal taste. During the day, when temperatures reached the 60s, many families enjoyed the heated pool.

A small exercise facility is open 24 hours a day. All of the equipment was in good working order, and restrooms are located nearby, just down the hall. The pool and hot tub close at 11 every night.

The downtown trolley has a stop just outside the hotel, and it's an inexpensive way to get to The Alamo and the hotels on the River Walk loop, such as the Marriotts. Or it's a brisk 15-minute walk, if the weather is nice. Rentable bikes are available about 2 blocks away, top restaurants such as Bohanan's, Acenera, and The Palm are about a 5-minute walk, and the Mexican Market is about a 15-minute walk. The Children's Museum, Majestic Theater, and Buckhorn Saloon are about a 10-minute walk, along the way to The Alamo.

Breakfast is included with the room, and omelets and eggs may be cooked to order. Some mornings I ate early, and there was no waiting. Other mornings I ate later, and the lines were usually longer -- but not always. Staff did a good job of keeping tables cleared so other people could eat breakfast in the dining area, but occasionally folks balanced plates on their laps in the registration area.

A managers reception is held each evening, and the free adult beverages made up for the bland and uninspiring food. Yet it was nice to have some crudité or cheese and fruit as an appetizer before dinner or a show.

My room had a few minor problems, and they were cheerfully repaired immediately after I reported them to the front desk.

Overall, this was a good choice for this trip, with the things I wanted to do. But several things kept this from being a five-star experience. First, several of the towels during my stay were frayed and stained. This was not what I expected at an Embassy Suites. Second, the front desk staff also serve as the concierge, and they were not very knowledgeable about giving directions, answering questions about public transportation, or estimating taxi fares.

Room Tip: Some rooms include bottled water and sodas plus snacks. As if they're available for a nominal e...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo