“To many 'little things' can add up”

Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown
Ranked #18 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Embassy suites downtown has lots of positives, the rooms are nice, the hotel is clean, the location is convenient, check in is easy and polite and breakfast is very generous with lots of choices. Unfortunately there were to many 'little things' that proved irritating. Tv reception digitally 'froze' briefly several times a minute. 2 out of 4 electrical outlets provided on the lamp bases located on the beds end tables didn't work. The shower is fairly long but narrow and the handicap grab bar protrudes out and easily banged into while washing your hair. Managers reception alcohol lines get long fast and the food / snacks were not very good (i.e. stale chex mix). Finally the room phone did not work when trying to call valet services to arrange an early morning cab (all static).

Room Tip: Request a riverwalk view on check in.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (2,193)

Reviewed 3 April 2014

The hotel was in tip top condition and the staff was perfect. The complimentary breakfast was an extensive breakfast buffet and the manager's special free drinks and snacks daily at 6 was an added bonus. Location was perfect as we could walk to the theatre and all Riverwalk attractions. I'd recommend.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

This is not your basic ES with the usual atrium and rooms. The lobby is very nicely decorated with many places to sit and relax. The 1st floor breakfast area is large and comfortable. Breakfast is delicious with made to order omelets in addition to the regular buffet hot items. The area is well staffed and used dishes are cleared promptly. The same area is used for the nightly reception with bar drinks [several wine and cocktail selections are available], snacks, and soft drink selections.
I was in suite 922 which is a riverwalk view king corner suite with a large balcony. The riverwalk is very narrow at the site of the hotel so it's not really visible from inside. The suite was very comfortable and housekeeping did a good job keeping it clean. The bed was firm but comfortable. The bathroom needs a fan to circulate the room AC as it gets very warm in there due to multiple light fixtures and poor air circulation. The shower head has 3 adjustable sprays with good water pressure.
The room AC seems a little underpowered for the temperature desired.
Great location on the riverwalk with an easy walk to the busier areas of the riverwalk. There is a river taxi stop also available at hotel.
Valet parking is convenient with good service but $27.00 plus tax is a steep nightly charge.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Absolutely beautiful downtown hotel. Evening reception and breakfast is great. Easy access to the Riverwalk was nice. Large deck area next to pool was nice too. Room was clean and quiet. We will be back!!!

Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We had a room on the primiar floor and it was nice with a kurig in the room and unlimited drinks and snacks from a vending machine. They do not fill the k cups when they make up your room good thing I brought some of my own and the vending machines are not filled and I had to call down to have them filled. The free breakfast is the best and the free evening snacks and drinks are great.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel has a great deal of positives but the negatives soured my entire stay.

The positives are: The complimentary breakfast is fantastic, the location is perfect and the property is very nice.

My major problems were with housekeeping. We were there for 8 days/7 nights and had housekeeping problems on all but one day. Our room was not taken care of properly at all! Beds were made (without sheets being replaced) and trash was emptied daily. Floors were not vacuumed, soap, shampoo, coffee supplies and toilet paper were not replenished daily. I had to go in search of a housekeeping cart, floor to floor, to find someone to get these things myself. Towels were not replaced. Bathrooms were not cleaned. After six days of complaining to front desk staff I went to a manager. Jason, the night manager, took my phone call on a speaker phone - which to me indicated that I had about 40% of his attention. He assured me that the Housekeeping Director would be notified and told me that if things were not better to contact the daytime Manager. Nothing was better the next day. As a matter of fact, it was even worse, so I went to see the Director of the Front Office, Di-Ana. She listened to my concerns and offered to take one day's room rate off our total bill. I wish I would have contacted her sooner, as the next day things were taken care of. It was unfortunate that it took seven days to get a very big but easily rectified problem corrected. I would never stay at this property again, nor will I ever recommend it to anyone. That's a shame because it really is a great property.

Room Tip: Don't bother paying to stay on the Concierge Floor. It consists of a vending machine with a lon...
1  Thank Mel1997
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My husband and I live in San Antonio and try to stay on the riverwalk a few times a year. We made reservations for a suite with a river view, opted for a room on a higher floor and also chose the romance package which would include champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. We check in Sunday afternoon. We got to our room that was not even in the top eight floors and the view was of nothing but rusted buildings. I could see a small part of the riverwalk if I leaned over the balcony and looked off to the left. We called the front desk and they said that was their river view and were really quite rude about it. We looked around for the champagne and strawberries but they were nowhere to be found. Called the front desk again, same rude lady said we had to call and request them so we did. We waited an hour but they never came so we went out for a while. Came back a few hours later and the champagne was there but no strawberries. Called front desk again, rude lady asked if we looked in the refrigerator, of course we did. She said they would send them up. Waited another hour, still no strawberries. Went down to front desk and they said it would be a while because they had to make them. We went out for the night and came back around midnight and guess what? No strawberries. Front desk said they were sorry and would adjust the rate to $160. That was the first apology we got and we appreciated it. Next morning we went to check out and we had a room service charge for $36! We asked if that was for the romance package and they said it was not, it was for actual room service. We didn't order room service. They made some calls and went down to look through the receipts and of course were unable to find one for us. He ultimately took it off. I have worked for a hotel for several years and have always prided myself on customer service and am really surprised at the lack thereof at this Embassy Suites. I have never had a bad experience at any Embassy Suites until now. We will never stay here again

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michelle B
Joe M, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton San Antonio Riverwalk-Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your recent stay experience at the hotel. We greatly apologize for the unnecessary frustrations you experienced. It is never our intention to cause our guests such unnecessary stress and inconvenience such as the conditions you described in your review. Our goal is to meet and exceed every guests' expectations and we are terribly sorry we failed to do so on your visit. A member of our team will be reaching out to you to discuss the challenges that you encountered during your stay.

Joe Melton